Mystery file messing with Stealthray

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On my Win2K system, I use Stealthray to block pop-ups.
After each online session, it cleans the history. Lately,
it says that a particular file, lraeyw.exe, is preventing
a complete clean-up. That file is on my harddrive under
WINNT\system32. Its icon is three building blocks with the
letters MFC. Searches on MS Support and Symantec sites
produce no results. Can anyone identify this file?

MFC stands for Microsoft® Foundation Classes, and its icon is, typically,
3 bluish building blocks with M, F and C on them. The tray, however, at
16x16 probably lacks the letters.

The name of the executable, however is not part of any of the known
products (as I remember). Also, since it is not readable and does not seem
like and acronym, I'm quite convinced it's a hoax.

Use Task manager to kill the process and rename the file to something else
(lraeyw.ex_, for example. Or lraeyw.vir). Reboot.

If you can't find the task in the process list (or other unknown tasks),
get a tool like InUse.exe (Microsoft) or MoveEx and schedule it to be
deleted (or renamed) on the next boot. If programs fail after this, you
might want to restore the file.

Get the latest virus definitions and scan. The name will not pop on
Symantec since it's generated.

--
Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin
Brainbench MVP

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Andrei, thank you very much. I believe you have helped to
solve my problem. The file process does not interfere with
Stealthray now.