slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I just bought Seagate 320GB 7200.10 SATA HDD. I made 6 partitions on it, different sizes, then i made a quick format on each partition. Partition and quick formatting done in windows xp disk manager.

I copied some games and dvds image in ISOs and MDFs format from an old Maxtor 120GB SATA.

And now, everytime i'm installing the game which is in MDF format, i get a "CRC error:media are different...bla bla bla...contact software vendor" or something like that, i got a Abort, Retry or Ignore. If i clicked Retry, the HDD start to be crazy and if i clicked Ignore, my games won't run or crashed in the middle of loading. But if i'm installing from original cd, i have no problem.

I already tried to re-make the image, but CRC error keep occuring.

Is it possible this CRC error occured because of the quick format ? or i got a malfunction HDD ?

I already tried CHKDSK /r, and the result is good (no bad sector). I already tried memtest86, i got no error.

If i have to do a Full Format, is there any possibilities to run Full Format on each partition in the same time ?
It's a pain in the ass to formatting a 320GB HDD or is it worth to wait ?

Please help me guys.

Thanks.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
What software are you mounting the ISOs in?

As far as I remember a new disk has to be full formatted. Try this again, run a full scandisk, and if you still get errors it's probably a bad disk.

You can format different partitions at the same time, but I expect it's slower than doing them individually. If you delete the partitions, format all the hard disk at once, scandisk it, then partition it, you wouldn't have to do it individually.

Does everything else work OK except for the ISOs?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I tried Alcohol 120 and Daemon Tools for mounting those ISOs and MDFs. they show the same CRC error in the same percentage of installation. And now i just extracted the ISO, install it...bam...CRC error...

Other partitions which is filled with MP3 files, XP operating system, backup software and photos, they are fine. I checked the photos one by one, they are in perfect conditions, Operating System run very well i've been restarting, turn off, turn on, so many times even re-installed it. MP3 files are fine too, i checked them one by one (well 45 MP3 aren't taking so much times to listen). Scandisk and defrag on all partitions is done and no bad sector or bad results.
PS: The other partition was Quick Formatted too.

i will give a shot a full formatting this partition. or maybe i will re-partition and full format on this disk like you said. Thanks anyway.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
As far as I remember a new disk has to be full formatted
not necessarily a new disk, but any new partition must be full formatted. I'm wondering how did you manage to quick format a new partition without the system requiring to do a full format...

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
In Disk Management when i just partitioned the HDD i have choices on each new partition between Format and Quick Format. I understand what's the different but i don't have time to do a full format. Well you can imagine a 5 gigs partition take around 3 minutes maybe less to do a full format, so 298 gigs will take around 3 hours ?! damn...why they don't format it before they sell ?

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hi guys,
No WinXP doesn't ever require full format (but it should).
It took ~1hour & 45minutes to do my new 320GB...
So make your install partition, full format, install OS, then make your little partitions you require - and full format!
In future if you wanted to quickly blank out an already formatted partition, that's what quick format is for.
Regards

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
but unfortunately it's a hassle you have to go through.

damn...why they don't format it before they sell ?

1. because partition schemes may vary from people to people. you said you made 6 partitions, but someone else would like 3, for example.

2. not everyone use windows (like me). Even among windows users would have inconsistencies, as you can use with fat32 or ntfs, even on xp.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Hi guys,
No WinXP doesn't ever require full format (but it should).
It took ~1hour & 45minutes to do my new 320GB...
So make your install partition, full format, install OS, then make your little partitions you require - and full format!
In future if you wanted to quickly blank out an already formatted partition, that's what quick format is for.
Regards
if it took 1:45 i'm sure it was a full format. Quick format takes a couple minutes, if any.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
OK new theory.

The old maxtor drive is going bad, so the ISOs you copied over were bad. Was it a FAT32 drive? I had a hard disk go bad that corrupted ISO files, but smaller ones were OK. That was NTFS though.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Yep...I can understand that. Thanks so much for replies guys. Will do and take some snacks while waiting the formatting bar moving...maybe will get drunk too cuz too much beers...cheers guys... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Yep...I can understand that. Thanks so much for replies guys. Will do and take some snacks while waiting the formatting bar moving...maybe will get drunk too cuz too much beers...cheers guys... :lol: :lol: :lol:
good idea!!!!!

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
The Maxtor drive are still in good condition. I checked it. It has 4 Partitions and all of them are NTFS. In this Maxtor there's a primary partition which contains a Windows XP OS. I already tried to mount the ISOs and install the game with NO PROBLEM...NO CRC Error... so it's mean the Image are good in this Maxtor.

So if i review it again :

I have a 120GB Maxtor SATA (plugged in SATA1 port). 4 partitions, Windows XP OS, some MDF and ISO files. The Maxtor drives start to be full so i buy a new Seagate 320GB SATA. I plug it in SATA2 port, then go to Disk Management and made 6 partitions then quick format them.

I turn off my PC, I plugged out the Maxtor, i plugged in the Seagate in Sata1 port and i start to install the Windows OS. Finish the OS installation and peripherals drivers i turn off my PC and i plug in the Maxtor drive in SATA2 port. I start to copying all the image files from Maxtor to Seagate. Finish copying, i turn off my pc and plug out the Maxtor.
Turn on again the PC, OS working fine, installing Alcohol, mounting ISO, installing the game then ...bam...CRC error...

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
I've no experience of SATA, but I've heard they can give funny errors if you're unlucky.

1. Try making a huge zip file about the same size, running a CRC checker with it, (QuickSFV?) copying it, and checking that the file hasn't changed. If it has, that might mean it's a SATA problem.

2. Try breaking the iso into parts (don't bother compressing them!) and copying it in say 400MB chunks, then reconstituting them on the other drive.

3. I expect you would have done this if possible, but you have three drives, I think, so trying copying between the other two (all SATA I assume). If you have the same error, and you know the files aren't corrupt to begin with, it's a SATA problem.

If they are OK, then the drive has the problem. As far as I understand, that's the new thing that's changed, so in all likelihood, that's going to be the problem, since you've been using SATA before with no problems.

OR, and I'm guessing here, alcohol doesn't like the drive for some reason?!?!

Good luck!

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for suggestions. I have only two (2) HDD not three (3). A Maxtor 120GB SATA and the new one is Seagate 320 GB SATA. I will give a try though. Thanks.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Yep Nforce4 and Maxtor SATA aren't going well together. And fortunately i don't use an Nforce4 mainboard. It's Asus P5P800SE with Intel 865PE.

I just re-partitioned and made a full format to this new HDD. Don't have time time yet to copying the ISOs and MDFs. It took 3 hours to format all partitions, and i'm drunk when it finish...beer are so helpful... :lol:

I'll continue this night, and i hope error will be gone...have to work now.

BTW, before i re-partitioned it, i was disabling the 32bit data transfer (in BIOS) and disabling the Enable Data cache on disk. And the ISO working fine but very slow.