Liain Li V1000 & P5B Deluxe/Gigabyte DQ6 compatibility

blind_art

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Will the design of the Lian Li case (where the mobos are mounted upside down and on the opp side of the case) interfere with the operation of the passive heatpipe cooling solutions that these mobos possess?

TIA

blind_art

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks for the link!

I just contacted Gigabyte, and they said "we don't know if it'll work, we're waiting to see". (In other words, see if anyone buys the DQ6 and V1000 and frys the mobo or not! :roll:)

8O Surely they know what tech is used in their mobos, and what the limits of that tech is?!

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
With the way heatpips work there will be no diffrence in cooling ability no matter what orientation the motherboard is in. Now if the board is using cheap heatpipes that don't have a wick matterial in them then an upsidedown orientation will cause problems.

If you would like to know more about heatpipes and how they work. Check this link. It will help you undersatand why orientation dons't matter on heatpipes that use a wick material.

http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml

WTF?????? Considering on the mobo has a heatsink on the TOP of it there is a problem. When put in this case the northbridge will be ABOVE the heatsink it WILL not have anywhere to get rid of it's heat to. There is another thread on this forum referring to this very problem with this case.

Blind art. Please disregard this guys post as it is incorrect.

For a heatsink to work the heat goes UP to the heatsink or at the very least sideways.

Read this thread in which you actually posted Mpguy.......

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=198423&highlight=malaysia

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Will the design of the Lian Li case (where the mobos are mounted upside down and on the opp side of the case) interfere with the operation of the passive heatpipe cooling solutions that these mobos possess?

TIA

I recall that ASUS nF4 premium boards (I don't recall the exact nomenclature) had a problem dealing with the inverted heatpipe design, which was the exact reason I did not get one of them (I have a V1100 or V1200, I don't recall which anymore). I think the consensus on the ASUS forums was that in theory, it depends on the specific design of the heatpipe - that it is possible to create one that operates inverted - but that one did not work.

I would suggest searching the manufacturer's forums for your specific board.

blind_art

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I'm assuing it would be possible to remove the current NB heatpipe setup and install an aftermarket, active cooler?
Would that have a -ve effect on the component near the CPU (unsure what it is, MOSFET maybe?) that the copper cooling fins currently sit on?

Its either that or I buy the next best looking case to the V1000, a Silverstone TJ07, which is almost x2 the price @£180!!!

blind_art

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
At the link that 306maxi gave a guy did remove the orignal cooler and instaled aftermarket coolers. He even posted pictures.

Hmm, almost. He home-made passive coolers that were double the size of the stock passive coolers, and kept the orginal copper cooling fins on the upper component.

The question about the copper cooling fins on the upper component still stands. Can that component work properly without that cooling assembly being present?

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
At the link that 306maxi gave a guy did remove the orignal cooler and instaled aftermarket coolers. He even posted pictures.

Hmm, almost. He home-made passive coolers that were double the size of the stock passive coolers, and kept the orginal copper cooling fins on the upper component.

The question about the copper cooling fins on the upper component still stands. Can that component work properly without that cooling assembly being present?

Personally I'd say just don't use this mobo in this case. Simple as that. When you have to play around with things too much it becomes easier just to buy something that will go in without modification.

brer_squid

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
The key word being "properly".

Heat pipes are made with many kinds of wicking structures. Sintered metal (the best and most espensive), mesh (the generic middle ground), and grooved (the cheapest). Sintered metal and mesh are pretty much orientation independent, grooved counts on a large assist from gravity.

For any particular mobo you have 3 options to figure out what kind of heat pipe it has.
1. Cut the heap pipe open.
2. Find the engineer who spec'ed it into the design and ask.
3. Operate the board right side up, measure the temperate, then operate it upside down and measure the temperature.

I know from experience (and the cost of a new case) the the Asus M2N-E has a grooved heat pipe that has distinctly different heat transfer characteristics when right side up versus upside down.

blind_art

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I've just bought the Lian Li V1000plus case and Asus P5W DH Delux mobo (plus all the other bits a PC needs! :wink: ), should be here in a week or so; damn Quadro holding up the whole order!

I'm gonna follow the first steps mentioned here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106563
to improve the current NB heatpipe setup, run the system in my current case, then inverted in the Lian Li case; see what the temps are...

I'll post back with an update, just in case anyone else asks the question.

(If it runs a lot hotter I can always add some 40mm fans onto the NB + SB.)