e6600 oddity

govtofficial

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
i originally put my computer together (e6600, intel 975xbx board) and used my old xp cd, just to see how the computer worked. i installed all the basic stuff, speedfan, cpu-z, etc, to make sure numbers were right, and noticed that when my computer was idling, the multiplier would drop to 6x instead of 9x. That was nice, the comp would stay cooler when idling, but i didnt know how this was enabled.

Flash forward to today, and i am reformatting and installing a new copy of xp pro. Everything is now installed, but now, when idling, the cpu stays at a 9x multiplier....it won't drop.

anyone know why?

speedfan is also now telling me that my +2.5V is showing as only 1.47V ...?
however, the intel reader tells me that the 1.47 is fine but my Vcore should be 2.05 while it is reading at 1.2 (which is correct)
the computer seems to be running fine...
i'll ignore the voltage stuff ><

but yea, how do i enable or disable this multipler stepping when idling? it just seems to have stopped doing it since i reinstalled XP.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It's called SpeedStep and it should be switchable in the BIOS. It lowers the multiplier (and therefore the clock speed) so it doesn't use so much power, runs cooler and uses less cooling power, and thus less noise.

govtofficial

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
i can't find an option anywhere in the BIOS relating to speedstep...

There is one option for "EIST" which i think might be it, but it is enabled already.

i just updated my bios this morning too.

EDIT - Found the problem

SP2 in Windows requires you change to "minimal power usage" in the "power options" window on the control panel or else EIST wont work.

specter

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
also go in Control Panel->Power Options and select Power Schemes as Portable/Laptop. that should it.

I just saw your post now. That should work too.