audio set up for my new PC...

fent

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Im specifying a new PC to be built and I'm having trouble deciding on which
soundcard to use? I'll mostly be using it for playing games such as battlefield 2. and
produce and listening to music on my PC.

I am contemplating buying z5500 speakers to go with the set up.

I've got a choice between audigy 4 7.1 or XFI-EM......

I was all set to order the XFI, but I've read quite a lot of reviews that say the drivers
for the card are, to say the least, rubbish. That sometimes the PC doesnt recognise the
device and that there is sometimes a crackle to the sound. Also, I'm worried about
comaptabiltiy with an ASUS P5B:DUAL DDR motherboard...

I also heard that you cant take advantage of 5.1 sign digital or optical cables (which, I
take it, provide better sound than anologue cables?), unless you buy some other type of
component.....

Any advice regarding the above???

P.S...I''ve noticed that the z5500's are owned by a few people on here - so I was wondering
if you would reccomend them for the purposes I mentioned - and are they easy to use???

Thanks

halcyon

Splendid
The latest drivers for the X-Fi are likely as good as any others from Creative. I've not experienced any trouble worth mentioning when using them with my X-Fi. ...and I'd recommend the X-Fi over the Audigy 4 as it has more utility. However, if you never plan to use the 24bit Crystalizer, CMSS3D, or don't need EAX 5 than there's no reason to get an X-Fi, IMO. ...and if you're not heavily into gaming there's no reason to get a Creative card whatsoever. In that case there's a lot of nice sounding cards for less money that are better geared to movies and music, offering Dolby Digital Live and Dolby Digital encoding via digital output, an important feature for many enthusiasts that no Creative-based solution offers.

...but if gaming is your primary thing than it doesn't get any better than an X-Fi, and their drivers have been just fine, in my experience. Stick with the X-Fi Extreme Music unless you're going to go all out and get an Elite Pro. There's little reason for you to get ripped off buying the Platinum or Fata1ity versions, as the price vs. performance ratio for the features they offer is geared primarily to seperate you from your money without providing much ROI).

...or you can save a bit and get an Audigy 4 that has a more appropriate price/performance ratio. It's pure audio quality (w/out the 24bit Crystalizer gimmic) is not too far below the significantly more expensive X-Fi.

I believe either card will push nice sound to the Z-5500, should you settle on those speakers. ...just make sure you get a really good deal on them, as they're really not worth $300+, IMO. ...and I have the current revision of them.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey FEnt,
I have a set of these babies and I can say for the money, you are getting one hell of nice set. Now I know you also have a question about sound cards. Here is my take and what I have learned from a similar post as yours in this forum. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1217421#1217421

This will explain a bit more and I think will hlep you make a more informative decision as to what sound card to buy. Myself, right now I am using my onboard sound but after reading this post (the link I gave you), I will now be buying a card by Auzentech called the X-plosion.... and here's why;
1. the Z - 5500's have a built in DECODER that is capable of giving you either Dolby Digital pro-logic II, THX, and DTS.

2. Now the sound card (such as the Auzentech) ENCODES a bitstream into Dolby digital REALTIME 5.1 channels (AND PLEASE IF ANYONE SEES A DISCREPANCY IN MY EXPLANATION FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME) and DTS, so that the desktop console (which houses the DECODER) can RECEIVE and output the TRUE glorious 5.1 surround sound that you bought these speakers for. In addition to this, once you install your sound card and play, let's say, a dvd (it already has this sound coded), the Logitech console will recognize this and show it as a DTS or DOLBY DIGITAL broadcast.

3. If you use your onboard soundcard, it WILL give you digital sound.....BUT.... and I say BUT......it will be given out in a 2 channel bitstream, and the Z-5500's will divide that up to give you a 5.1 sound "EFFECT". Like I said before guys if I did not explain this CORRECTLY, please feel free to fix it.

Believe me I did not know this until I stumbled upon the post I read the other day. I think I explained it much shorter but I DO recommend you reading the link I gave ya and I think it will clear things up.

Astralite and ChoirBASS have much more knowledge on this subject so you can always PM them like I did. They were great in helping me out on this. Hope this helps bro.

RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries
SeaSonic S12 600 PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI X-16 S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
AMD 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Optimizer)
2 gigs Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 gig HDD / XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey H,
When you say you have the "current revision" of them, do you mean the ones that do NOT have those annoying plugs for connections? ( the revised ones have bared wires for inserting into the sub n speakers)

Apparently some people are saying that theirs have RCA jacks for connections. :cry:

halcyon

Splendid
Yes, I got lucky and received a newer set that don't have the attached RCA cables on them, allowing one to use any grade and length of cable that suits his/her needs.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
So what did you end up getting? The heavy guage Monster cables?? :D

I ALSO am lucky and got the set WITHOUT the rca plugs. I'm thinking I may get those MOnster bABIES A Christmas gift he he :wink:

halcyon

Splendid
I aready had 12-gauge Monster cables, so I just use them with that. They cables are an eye-sore, I know, but gotta keep m'priorities straight. The Z-5500s sound good to me even with the stock cables. ...I can't recommend spending $$ on aftermarket speaker cables for them unless you need a different legnth.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I got 16-gauge oxygen free, thick and durable caseing. 50ft for $6.99 at Fry's... Best cable I have ever used... Monster is way overpriced for the same thing...

halcyon

Splendid
I got 16-gauge oxygen free, thick and durable caseing. 50ft for $6.99 at Fry's... Best cable I have ever used... Monster is way overpriced for the same thing...

Yeahp! Monster is overpriced. I've had those cables since '92 when I was 22. I got them when I was putting, what I would say was, a serious investment in my audio equipment, I had purchased 15 pairs of Monster InterLink 400 Interlink RCA interconnects at the same time.

...didn't know about bargain hunting at all in the old days. ...but I still have all those cables, haven't had to replace them so at least they've been durable. Good old Myer-Emco, sheesh, that brings back fond memories. Heck, I've still got my Cerwin-Vega floor-standers from that era. ..my father's got the rest of that old Onkyo and Pioneer gear...yeahp, the good 'ole days.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I guess its a good thing that I think the "monster" name is lame anyhow ROFL!!!

Its funny... I didnt realise that the binding posts on my reciever where cheaply made with low grade aluminium. Seems as if it defeats the point of the nice cable...