disk consistency check deleted my data, please help

Hello, I installed windows 2000 from a windows xp machine. after i
installed, windows said it needed to check my disk (my second hard drive)
for constistency and then it proceeded to delete a ton of my data. Now that
windows has started, most of my data is gone! Is there any way I can get it
back and why did it suddenly do this? Please help me, I need some of that
data. This happened once before when I had windows xp installed, but the
damage was not noticeable.

Andrew Smith

Not sure what you mean - you formatted & installed 2000 over your old XP
install? (you can't 'downgrade). Did you make backups of your data first?
Always do that, always....even if you aren't formatting the second
drive/partition.

Andrew Smith wrote:
> Hello, I installed windows 2000 from a windows xp machine. after i
> installed, windows said it needed to check my disk (my second hard
> drive) for constistency and then it proceeded to delete a ton of my
> data. Now that windows has started, most of my data is gone! Is there
> any way I can get it back and why did it suddenly do this? Please
> help me, I need some of that data. This happened once before when I
> had windows xp installed, but the damage was not noticeable.
>
> Andrew Smith

I had the same thing happen on my machine...I have a 160g
second HD just for data(Photos and mp3's) Chkdsk checked
for inconsistencies on the drive..It deleted the index
files and now over 90% of my data is gone...Is there a fix?