New SATA not being detected, have tried everything

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I recently got a new system, and I didn't want to have to reinstall everything on it, so I kept my HDD from my old one and loaded it as a slave on my new system.

I decided to sell my old system to recover some of my costs so I went out aand purchased a WD 250GB SATA and was going to install Window and some office software for the buyer. One problem, my K8V mobo will not recognize the new HDD no matter what I do.

I started with the basci trial and error troubleshooting. Neither Sata1 nor Sata2 connector will work with the new HDD, but they work just fine with my old SATA drive. I tried connecting an old IDE drive, worked fine. I even tried bringing the drive back and geting a new one and it didn't work either. Now I am completely lost. Nothing seems to work. I am wondering if my BIOS is the issue b/c nowhere cane I find the option for SATA drives, only IDE.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get this running?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I got this issue too when i just got a brand new SATA HDD.

I supposed this new HDD aren't partitioned yet.
Does the BIOS see your new HDD ? or when in the POST, is it listed ?

If it's a brand new HDD and not yet partitioned, Windows Explorer will not see it.
Go to Disk Manager (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> go to DIsk Management) then start to make a partition on your new HDD.
In Disk Management, your old HDD will marked as Disk0 and your new one will be marked as Disk1.

Good Luck

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006

If it's a brand new HDD and not yet partitioned, Windows Explorer will not see it.
Go to Disk Manager (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> go to DIsk Management) then start to make a partition on your new HDD.
In Disk Management, your old HDD will marked as Disk0 and your new one will be marked as Disk1.

Good Luck

Hmmm makes sense. Right now that system is completely bare, no HDD or O/S at all. I will try hooking it up to my new system tonight for the sole purpose of partitioning it before I try it on the old one again.

Thanks

pat

Expert

Good Luck

Hmmm makes sense. Right now that system is completely bare, no HDD or O/S at all. I will try hooking it up to my new system tonight for the sole purpose of partitioning it before I try it on the old one again.

Thanks

Read the hdd label and set th jumper to sata1 or 1.5 instead of sata2/3.0

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey politician,
Do this.......I;m assuming that when you say "WD" you mean WEstern Digital.....go tto the website, DL the Data Lifeguard tools utility, run the program that "INITIALIZES" the new drive. Once you did that, restart, hit DEL, go into bios, and make sure your rig "SEES" this "initialized"hdd. It's just a fancy word for formatted. And once you did that, you can then go into your Disk Management and use Windows to reformat the drive the way Microsoft wants you to :roll: Not sure if thsi last step is neccessary but it can't hurt.
once that happens... your good ta go mate !!! :wink: That ought ta work.
I had to do that when I bought my new raptor about 2 months ago. I hooked it up, booted the rig... and ......NOTHING!!!!!! :roll: I put my old drive with my OS in it, went to WD ssite, and got the data lifeguard tool kit, ran it, and PRESTO :D My rig "SAW" my new 10 K marvel of hdd technology !!!

Antec P180 PerformanceSeries
SeaSonic S12 600 PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI X-16 S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
AMD 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Optimizer)
2 gigs Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 gig HDD / XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500watts

samsonic

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Install the VIA sataraid drivers and everything will work.
If you have a VIA chipset that is what i think u have so try it.