Sign in with
Your question

question about hard disk....

Last response: in Storage
August 31, 2006 2:54:56 PM

i'm currently using an intel 865PE motherboard and i'm planning to buy a new hard disk..... will my motherboard be compatible with a new hard disk(SATA II, NCQ, 16MB cache) for example?My mobo model is Gigabyte GA 8IPE1000 Pro2... with two SATA ports.(info).... if you don't mind, can you suggest a hard disk that is compatible with my mobo?and some noob question....what's the difference between SATA II and normal SATA? Thanks in advance........

More about : question hard disk

August 31, 2006 4:18:26 PM

865PE support 48bit LBA, so it's mean you can use a 750GB HDD with no problem.

865PE only support SATA I 150Mb/s, so no chance on Sata II. But if you decide to buy a HDD with SATA II you still can use this HDD without a problem, they are backward support though. There's no big performance difference between SATA I and SATA II. IMO, it's just a market business.

865PE doesn't support NCQ. Mostly new HDD has a NCQ facility. If your chipset doesn't support NCQ, the NCQ will be disabled automatically. NCQ is planted in the firmware of HDD and operating (disabled/enabled) automatically. So NO worries about this.

A more memory cache in the HDD, a more better. Mostly New HDD is equipped with 8 or 16 MB memory. Take the 16 MB one, there's a little different price though.

I just buy Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 SATA II hdd. And it works fine with my Asus P5P800SE which is its chipset is Intel 865PE.

Suggestions on HDD :

Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor. Three of the best, IMO.
September 1, 2006 2:05:17 PM

thank you very much Slicessoul.... i just wanted to be be sure before purchasing a new hard disk.... thanks again....
Related resources
September 1, 2006 2:54:13 PM

Anytime Noobzie...

small info :

Seagate HDD like i have, has a jumper to switch the transfer between SATA I 150Mb/s or SATA II 300Mb/s. When they are delivered, the jumper always stay in SATA I. I think it's the same for Maxtor and Western Digital. well, you can check their website though...
September 2, 2006 1:16:53 PM

thanks again for the info...... i guess i'm just a 'turtle in my own shell' when it comes to computer world.....
September 2, 2006 2:18:24 PM

It take time to learn. You feel confident to go out from your "shell" ? Then go out and see the world. Your environment will help you to understand.

Cheers...and Welcome to "THE WORLD" man...
September 2, 2006 2:32:52 PM

Quote:
865PE support 48bit LBA, so it's mean you can use a 750GB HDD with no problem.

865PE only support SATA I 150Mb/s, so no chance on Sata II. But if you decide to buy a HDD with SATA II you still can use this HDD without a problem, they are backward support though. There's no big performance difference between SATA I and SATA II. IMO, it's just a market business.

865PE doesn't support NCQ. Mostly new HDD has a NCQ facility. If your chipset doesn't support NCQ, the NCQ will be disabled automatically. NCQ is planted in the firmware of HDD and operating (disabled/enabled) automatically. So NO worries about this.

A more memory cache in the HDD, a more better. Mostly New HDD is equipped with 8 or 16 MB memory. Take the 16 MB one, there's a little different price though.

I just buy Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 SATA II hdd. And it works fine with my Asus P5P800SE which is its chipset is Intel 865PE.

Suggestions on HDD :

Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor. Three of the best, IMO.

sorry, i want to buy 2 of those HD, are they silent ? ive read they are low noise parts at idle but noisy parts at seeking, can you help me with your opinion? i have my pc case at 1m from my head XDD thanks
September 2, 2006 3:18:04 PM

In my comparison with my old maxtor 120GB SATA, the Seagate 320GB is more silent. In the range 1 to 10 for silent, I give Seagate 8 for silent and maxtor is 3. So it's more than half that Seagate is more silent than Maxtor. You won't regret it.

There's a review who said this series of Seagate 7200.10, has more better performance in write and read than Raptor 10K. i forget where is it...
September 2, 2006 4:31:16 PM

if you don't mind Slicessoul, can you give your opinion about these hard disk i list?

Western Digital
WD2500KS - 250GB - 16MB cache - SATA-II

Seagate
Barracuda 7200.10 - 250GB - 16MB - SATA-II

if there's other people who have opinions about this, it's a pleasure to have your opinions too........
September 2, 2006 4:38:29 PM

thank you very much, i will go with 2 of them under RAID 0, i hope they dont make me go crazy with the noise xDD thanks
September 4, 2006 5:17:03 AM

This Western Digital has a very good performance too. In some application it beat Seagate or vice versa. You can see a review in anandtech.com. There's a review between WD and Seagate 320GB. Well it's just the size is not 250GB but they are in the same series.

Another differences are Western Digital doesn't support NCQ, WD give 3 years Warranty while Seagate 5 years. In my country Seagate is more cheaper than WD, so that's the other reason why i bought Seagate.
September 4, 2006 2:44:53 PM

really appreciate your opinions...... thanks
!