Can someone direct me too as which printer does Great Blac..

I have a kodak DX7630 camera,and looking to upgrade to a proffessional
camera maybe the nikon D70 . I'm using Win xp and would like to print
on.... paper, canvas, and other type ?

someone told me the Epson 4800 is good ?
I'm trying to get a darkroom effect. But just with a printer and good
program..
thanks

janet

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:49:22 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers
"venus6152@earthlink.net" <venus6152@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have a kodak DX7630 camera,and looking to upgrade to a proffessional
>camera maybe the nikon D70 . I'm using Win xp and would like to print
>on.... paper, canvas, and other type ?

Look at any printer supported by the Lyson Quad Blank inks.
http://www.lyson.com/quad-black-tone.html
----------
http://EdwardGRuf.com

zakezuke

> I have a kodak DX7630 camera,and looking to upgrade to a proffessional
> camera maybe the nikon D70 . I'm using Win xp and would like to print
> on.... paper, canvas, and other type ?

B&W isn't supported as well as i'd like in inkjets. While there are
epson solutions... The new HP photosmart is nice... but also check out

http://www.mediastreet.com/cgi-bin/tame/mediastreet/quadblack.tam
Someone already linked you to lyson inks which are another option...
i've not tried either. I have seriously considered picking up an old
canon i960 and using it with various black inks.. but I have to say the
epsons are more supported than canon when it comes to odd ball
solutions like gray scale inks.

blob

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:49:22 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers
> "venus6152@earthlink.net" <venus6152@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> I have a kodak DX7630 camera,and looking to upgrade to a proffessional
>>camera maybe the nikon D70 . I'm using Win xp and would like to print
>>on.... paper, canvas, and other type ?
>

> Look at any printer supported by the Lyson Quad Blank inks.
> http://www.lyson.com/quad-black-tone.html

I'm looking into a printer for B&W also. Anyone have comments about the
HP 8450? All the reviews I've seen were very positive, specifically
mentioning the neutral B&W prints using the No. 100 grey cart.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:49:22 GMT, "venus6152@earthlink.net"
<venus6152@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have a kodak DX7630 camera,and looking to upgrade to a proffessional
>camera maybe the nikon D70 . I'm using Win xp and would like to print
>on.... paper, canvas, and other type ?
>

>someone told me the Epson 4800 is good ?
>I'm trying to get a darkroom effect. But just with a printer and good
>program..

www.permajet.com. Look at the Monochrome Pro inks.

Incidentally, if you want a professional camera, and a Nikon, a D70
isn't it.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

BURT

I believe that MIS has gray scale inks for some Epson printers.

Burt wrote:

>I believe that MIS has gray scale inks for some Epson printers.

MIS is a label. It is not a mfg/formulator

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>> I have a kodak DX7630 camera,and looking to upgrade to a proffessional
>>>camera maybe the nikon D70 . I'm using Win xp and would like to print
>>>on.... paper, canvas, and other type ?
>>>

>>B&W isn't supported as well as i'd like in inkjets. While there are
>>epson solutions... The new HP photosmart is nice... but also check out
>>
>>http://www.mediastreet.com/cgi-bin/tame/mediastreet/quadblack.tam
>>Someone already linked you to lyson inks which are another option...
>>i've not tried either. I have seriously considered picking up an old
>>canon i960 and using it with various black inks.. but I have to say the
>>epsons are more supported than canon when it comes to odd ball
>>solutions like gray scale inks.

frederick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

Hecate wrote:

> Incidentally, if you want a professional camera, and a Nikon, a D70
> isn't it.

....but don't be discouraged by that. National Geographic publishes
photos shot with D70 (disbelievers look at: http://tinyurl.com/9derj ),
and I assume that the photographers still get paid. Look at features,
not labels to decide what is appropriate, as the law of dimishing
returns applies very strongly to digital slr equipment.

The 4800 will provide you with a print up to 17" wide. It's a
professional printer using large cartridges 110-220 ml, and it uses 3
levels of black (dark black, middle black and light black) which will
help to produce very neutral B&W prints of darkroom quality, if used
correctly.

Art

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:51:29 +1200, frederick <nomail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>Hecate wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, if you want a professional camera, and a Nikon, a D70
>> isn't it.
>>
>...but don't be discouraged by that. National Geographic publishes
>photos shot with D70 (disbelievers look at: http://tinyurl.com/9derj ),
>and I assume that the photographers still get paid. Look at features,
>not labels to decide what is appropriate, as the law of dimishing
>returns applies very strongly to digital slr equipment.

<g> I didn't say it wasn't a good camera - I said it wasn't a
professional camera :)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

frederick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

Hecate wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:51:29 +1200, frederick <nomail@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Hecate wrote:
>>

>>>Incidentally, if you want a professional camera, and a Nikon, a D70
>>>isn't it.
>>>

>>...but don't be discouraged by that. National Geographic publishes
>>photos shot with D70 (disbelievers look at: http://tinyurl.com/9derj ),
>>and I assume that the photographers still get paid. Look at features,
>>not labels to decide what is appropriate, as the law of dimishing
>>returns applies very strongly to digital slr equipment.
>

> <g> I didn't say it wasn't a good camera - I said it wasn't a
> professional camera :)

Mark Leung was paid for photos taken with a polycarbonate camera.
A photographer can be professional but camera can't - it's just a tool.
:)

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:41:11 +1200, frederick <nomail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>> <g> I didn't say it wasn't a good camera - I said it wasn't a
>> professional camera :)
>>

>Mark Leung was paid for photos taken with a polycarbonate camera.
>A photographer can be professional but camera can't - it's just a tool.
>:)

Dead right :) I know of one "professional" photographer, who shall
remain nameless who I wouldn't trust to turn on a camera, much less
use it ;-)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <lc9if11ue61g4u1njshen0h2hltrjqrmvg@4ax.com>,
hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:

> I know of one "professional" photographer, who shall remain nameless who
> I wouldn't trust to turn on a camera, much less use it ;-)

I know one too. He's got a studio in Fleet High Street!

Jon.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:16 +0100 (BST), Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com
(Jon O'Brien) wrote:

>In article <lc9if11ue61g4u1njshen0h2hltrjqrmvg@4ax.com>,
>hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:
>
>> I know of one "professional" photographer, who shall remain nameless who
>> I wouldn't trust to turn on a camera, much less use it ;-)
>
>I know one too. He's got a studio in Fleet High Street!

Funny you should say that... ;-)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <sgvkf1lp3u9k0j5nrkqsl4sgrmes5dgh4f@4ax.com>,
hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:

> Funny you should say that... ;-)

It might have been funny, if my wife hadn't paid him for a series of
family portraits for my in-laws. How he managed to produce photos with
burned-out highlights in his own studio I'll never know. As for the
quality of the prints...

Jon.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:39 +0100 (BST), Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com
(Jon O'Brien) wrote:

>In article <sgvkf1lp3u9k0j5nrkqsl4sgrmes5dgh4f@4ax.com>,
>hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:
>
>> Funny you should say that... ;-)
>
>It might have been funny, if my wife hadn't paid him for a series of
>family portraits for my in-laws. How he managed to produce photos with
>burned-out highlights in his own studio I'll never know. As for the
>quality of the prints...

OK. I've got to ask - and you didn't take them because...?

(I'm sure you could teach a chimp to be better than him).

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <4olnf19lpq2llpkle3rkkb9vpjbnk4mhsi@4ax.com>,
hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:

> OK. I've got to ask - and you didn't take them because...?

1) I do landscapes, not people.
2) I was in them.

However, I did scan a couple of his prints and spent some time with
Photoshop improving them. Removing the colour cast made a considerable
difference, just as a starter. The burned-out highlight on my
father-in-laws pate proved the most challenging...

> (I'm sure you could teach a chimp to be better than him).

I've seen better from photo booths, so I suspect you're right.

Jon.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 02:50 +0100 (BST), Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com
(Jon O'Brien) wrote:

>In article <4olnf19lpq2llpkle3rkkb9vpjbnk4mhsi@4ax.com>,
>hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:
>
>> OK. I've got to ask - and you didn't take them because...?
>
>1) I do landscapes, not people.

Me too - well, I do do animal portraits, but only wild ones ;-)

>2) I was in them.

Ah - self-timer (grinning and running...)

>However, I did scan a couple of his prints and spent some time with
>Photoshop improving them. Removing the colour cast made a considerable
>difference, just as a starter. The burned-out highlight on my
>father-in-laws pate proved the most challenging...

Now I understand why some people want photographers to have provable
qualifications :)

>> (I'm sure you could teach a chimp to be better than him).
>
>I've seen better from photo booths, so I suspect you're right.

Sorry it happened to you - it gives the rest of us a bad name.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <u7cqf15ufj113jprugkl3n1b879uudhjsp@4ax.com>,
hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:

> Ah - self-timer (grinning and running...)

Keep going...

> Now I understand why some people want photographers to have provable
> qualifications :)

Proven results are the best qualifications, in my opinion. A software
company I worked for, many years ago, employed a guy with a degree in
computer science. During his three month probationary period he produced
200 lines of code, about what I (a self-taught programmer with no formal
qualifications at all) was producing in a day.

I did point out to my wife that it might have been a good idea to ask to
see some of his previous work before committing to a session. It didn't go
down too well.

Jon.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:36 +0100 (BST), Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com
(Jon O'Brien) wrote:

>In article <u7cqf15ufj113jprugkl3n1b879uudhjsp@4ax.com>,
>hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:
>
>> Ah - self-timer (grinning and running...)
>
>Keep going...
>
>> Now I understand why some people want photographers to have provable
>> qualifications :)
>
>Proven results are the best qualifications, in my opinion. A software
>company I worked for, many years ago, employed a guy with a degree in
>computer science. During his three month probationary period he produced
>200 lines of code, about what I (a self-taught programmer with no formal
>qualifications at all) was producing in a day.

Oh, I agree, but I've seen some of the EU proposals for Photography
and cross EU qualification. I can understand why they want them when
you get idiots like that.

>I did point out to my wife that it might have been a good idea to ask to
>see some of his previous work before committing to a session. It didn't go
>down too well.

You have a death wish? ;-)

Would have been sensible though - but I can see why she didn't - a
shop front often conveys legitimacy and the best con men (which is
what he is) are good and giving an air of professionalism.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <4g4tf190lrhri7gmrt6u3o18g00p22sajs@4ax.com>,
hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:

> ...I've seen some of the EU proposals for Photography and cross EU
> qualification.

I wasn't aware of them. Are they online anywhere?

> I can understand why they want them when you get idiots like that.

As with many EU proposals, they're no doubt well intentioned but will
probably just make things harder for the jobbing photographer. It's
already becoming difficult for good professionals to earn a decent living
because people aren't prepared to pay what the job's really worth. Most
people can't tell the difference between a mediocre photograph and a good
one, anyway.

I was at a wedding yesterday and there was no official photographer. The
couple saved ~£1,500 or so by asking friends to take photographs. They'll
probably be happy with the majority of the snaps that people took with
compacts and even phones! Especially as they'll almost certainly just make
a computer slideshow with them, so resolution won't be such an issue. They
probably haven't even thought about their g-g-grandchildren not being able
to see them if the CD/DVD they store them on gets damaged and they lose
the lot.

> >I did point out to my wife that it might have been a good idea to ask
> > to see some of his previous work before committing to a session. It
> > didn't go down too well.
> >
> You have a death wish? ;-)

No. Just a lack of diplomacy filter between brain and mouth. :)

> ...a shop front often conveys legitimacy...

Well, it works for Tesco!

Jon.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:23 +0100 (BST), Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com
(Jon O'Brien) wrote:

>In article <4g4tf190lrhri7gmrt6u3o18g00p22sajs@4ax.com>,
>hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:
>
>> ...I've seen some of the EU proposals for Photography and cross EU
>> qualification.
>
>I wasn't aware of them. Are they online anywhere?

Not that I know of, but you're welcome to try and find them on the EU
site if you have a couple of years spare ;-)

The proposals were about a range of arts/crafts and, for instance,
would mean that you supposedly had transferable skills across the EU.
The other side of that coin was that you couldn't set up as a
photographer anywhere in the EU *without* those qualifications except
insofar as your home country allows you to - so, for example, if you
wanted to go and be a photographer in Germany without the
"professional" qualification, you couldn't.

>> I can understand why they want them when you get idiots like that.
>
>As with many EU proposals, they're no doubt well intentioned but will
>probably just make things harder for the jobbing photographer. It's
>already becoming difficult for good professionals to earn a decent living
>because people aren't prepared to pay what the job's really worth. Most
>people can't tell the difference between a mediocre photograph and a good
>one, anyway.

Generally true unfortunately, though if you put a lot of mediocre ones
next to a good one, people often go "wow" when they get to the good
one :)

>I was at a wedding yesterday and there was no official photographer. The
>couple saved ~£1,500 or so by asking friends to take photographs. They'll
>probably be happy with the majority of the snaps that people took with
>compacts and even phones! Especially as they'll almost certainly just make
>a computer slideshow with them, so resolution won't be such an issue. They
>probably haven't even thought about their g-g-grandchildren not being able
>to see them if the CD/DVD they store them on gets damaged and they lose
>the lot.

Yeah - most people don't realise the life span of what they have :(

>> >I did point out to my wife that it might have been a good idea to ask
>> > to see some of his previous work before committing to a session. It
>> > didn't go down too well.
>> >
>> You have a death wish? ;-)
>
>No. Just a lack of diplomacy filter between brain and mouth. :)
>
>> ...a shop front often conveys legitimacy...
>
>Well, it works for Tesco!

LOL!

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

frederick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

Hecate wrote:
<snip>
> The proposals were about a range of arts/crafts and, for instance,
> would mean that you supposedly had transferable skills across the EU.
> The other side of that coin was that you couldn't set up as a
> photographer anywhere in the EU *without* those qualifications except
> insofar as your home country allows you to - so, for example, if you
> wanted to go and be a photographer in Germany without the
> "professional" qualification, you couldn't.

<rant/>
This is sad.
No doubt in the usual manner of nanny-state regimes, the decision making
process would be delegated to a committee made up of consumer rights
zealots with axes to grind, and experts from within the industry who
would favour protectionism to both reduce competition in the market, and
provide them with career opportunities in the burgeoning "jobs for sale"
education and certification sector.
The whole idea is based on the insulting assumption that all individuals
are too stupid to make a decision themselves, and too apathetic to take
action already available through existing consumer protection laws when
they have been clearly fleeced. If there is a non-legislative
free-market model, then something like the "Michelin Star" rating for
restaurants might be workable. The viability of this idea relies on the
possibility that private sector inspectors - for whom credibility is
based on performance - might be less inclined to respond to "incentives"
than state employees, for whom credibility is protected by legislation.
</rant>

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:17:39 +1200, frederick <lost@sea.co.zn> wrote:

>Hecate wrote:
><snip>
>> The proposals were about a range of arts/crafts and, for instance,
>> would mean that you supposedly had transferable skills across the EU.
>> The other side of that coin was that you couldn't set up as a
>> photographer anywhere in the EU *without* those qualifications except
>> insofar as your home country allows you to - so, for example, if you
>> wanted to go and be a photographer in Germany without the
>> "professional" qualification, you couldn't.
>>
><rant/>
>This is sad.
>No doubt in the usual manner of nanny-state regimes, the decision making
>process would be delegated to a committee made up of consumer rights
>zealots with axes to grind, and experts from within the industry who
>would favour protectionism to both reduce competition in the market, and
>provide them with career opportunities in the burgeoning "jobs for sale"
>education and certification sector.

Actually, it would be down to a qualification for which you sit an
exam.

Doesn't make it any more useful of course - I know a fair number of
people who have no trouble passing exams but a lot of trouble putting
the knowledge to practical use.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:17:39 +1200, frederick <lost@sea.co.zn> wrote:
>
> >Hecate wrote:
> ><snip>
> >> The proposals were about a range of arts/crafts and, for instance,
> >> would mean that you supposedly had transferable skills across the EU.
> >> The other side of that coin was that you couldn't set up as a
> >> photographer anywhere in the EU *without* those qualifications except
> >> insofar as your home country allows you to - so, for example, if you
> >> wanted to go and be a photographer in Germany without the
> >> "professional" qualification, you couldn't.
> >>
> ><rant/>
> >This is sad.
> >No doubt in the usual manner of nanny-state regimes, the decision making
> >process would be delegated to a committee made up of consumer rights
> >zealots with axes to grind, and experts from within the industry who
> >would favour protectionism to both reduce competition in the market, and
> >provide them with career opportunities in the burgeoning "jobs for sale"
> >education and certification sector.
>

> Actually, it would be down to a qualification for which you sit an
> exam.
>
> Doesn't make it any more useful of course - I know a fair number of
> people who have no trouble passing exams but a lot of trouble putting
> the knowledge to practical use.
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
> you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
> you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

And there are a fair number of people that have been making outstanding
photographs, and a very good living at the profession, that just might have
a lot of trouble "passing exams."