Sign in with
Your question

Hardware problem with new graphics card - Help Needed!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 31, 2006 3:04:26 PM

Yesterday I received my shiny new x800xt from newegg. Upon installation, while placing the new card into the agp slot, one of the small heatsinks fell off as I turned the card on its side. I was very careful in handling the card, I did not drop it or anything - the piece just fell off. Now, I'm sure this would be covered under warranty, but I don't really want to wait a month for it to get fixed as this seems like something I could fix myself. I've never done anything like this before, however, and want to run it by anyone who knows better than I (which I'm sure is pretty much everyone on these boards). I figured I could just clean off the thermal grease (it is thermal grease right?), reapply, and stick the heatsink back on. Am I way off with this assesment? Should I forget fixing it myself and just return it? Please help!

Here are some pictures so you have an idea of what I'm talking about:

Closeup:
August 31, 2006 4:06:14 PM

Memory heatsinks are more show than go, you probably don't even need it.

There won't be any grease on it now, just old thermal tape. Really, you should just be able to push it back on the memory, twist it a bit and apply pressure - it will probably stick.
August 31, 2006 6:18:05 PM

Well whatever was used to originally stick it on is completely dried up. The first thing I tried was to just stick it back on, but no dice - it doesn't even stick a little, just falls right back off.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 11:43:41 AM

What I am about to say is not likely to be the case, but I would err on the side of caution. Manufacturing defects on hardware are rare. However, if this particular card had such a manufacturing defect, it could have others which are not apparent at first (for example, it could have been a bad batch of thermal paste and other components may not be "glued on" properly either). You should not ask for this card to be repaired. You should RMA it and get a replacement new card. It will not take a month. Maybe a week to a week and a half. Return it and get a new one.
September 1, 2006 12:06:36 PM

I totally agree with Slava. I would send it back, because if you do any repairs to the card, it will be harder to send back. I know someone probably won't notice, but play it safe.

I understand waiting for parts to get delivered sucks. That's why I pay a little more and go to a local computer parts store.
September 1, 2006 12:31:37 PM

i totaly agree as well, if this is the first thing to go wrong, and its not even in the machine yet, what else could be on it's way?
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2006 12:49:57 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with Slava. I would send it back, because if you do any repairs to the card, it will be harder to send back. I know someone probably won't notice, but play it safe.

I understand waiting for parts to get delivered sucks. That's why I pay a little more and go to a local computer parts store.

Agreed, send it back. I also never, ever buy online as well for the same reason, but I also live in Southern California where I can buy computer parts all day long from a dozen or more places within 20 minutes of my house. Just makes sense for me. It may not be that easy for a lot of folks though.
September 1, 2006 12:55:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. When the problem first ocurred, I was all excited about getting it installed and up and running - so I was itching to get it fixed as soon as possible. But after thinking about it for a while, it probably is best to get it replaced.
September 1, 2006 1:06:12 PM

One other quick question. What's a better bet: returning the card to newegg, or returning to ATi?
September 1, 2006 1:09:25 PM

Quote:
What I am about to say is not likely to be the case, but I would err on the side of caution. Manufacturing defects on hardware are rare. However, if this particular card had such a manufacturing defect, it could have others which are not apparent at first (for example, it could have been a bad batch of thermal paste and other components may not be "glued on" properly either). You should not ask for this card to be repaired. You should RMA it and get a replacement new card. It will not take a month. Maybe a week to a week and a half. Return it and get a new one.

I'm wit Slava bro.....Don't mess with your new piece a hardware.....Trust me man...if you F@#$* it up...your up a creek WITHOUT A PADDLE AND out of your hard earned moolahh :oops: 

If you DO decide to RMA it.. DO it now. And here is another piece of info. Some comp shops don't advertise this because then everyone would be doing this...but if take it back to the puter shop where you bought it, ask the guy if he can do a "EXPRESS RMA". Basically it's a quick turnaround for merchandise in a special situation. Tyr it man ya got nothin to lose right?
Hope this helps man

Antec P180 PerformanceSeries
SeaSonic S12 600 PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI X-16 S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
AMD 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Optimizer)
2 gigs Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 gig HDD / XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500watts
September 1, 2006 2:53:16 PM

All of you are seriously overreacting. Memory heatsinks are not even proven to do anything. Your card will work fine unless you fux it up some other way. Just use it.

good grief
September 1, 2006 3:31:04 PM

Quote:
I also never, ever buy online as well for the same reason

Wrong.

1. Newegg usually has better prices than any retail store and (depending on where you live) chances are you will not be charged the Sales Tax. Plus you get free shipping on orders over $25;
2. Newegg ships almost instantly. I buy all my stuff from them. On average I get items the next day;
3. Their return policy is great.

Quote:
One other quick question. What's a better bet: returning the card to newegg, or returning to ATi?

Go to Newegg web site and fill out the RMA form. Indicate that the item was damaged on arrival. They will replace it - no questions asked.

Quote:
Memory heatsinks are not even proven to do anything. Your card will work fine unless you fux it up some other way. Just use it.

Cleeve already said that above. You are both right about that. But personally I strongly believe that if I buy a brand new retail item nothing should be falling off it. Why in the world do I have to put up with this crap? If the sink is supposed to be there, well... it better be there and not fall off.
September 1, 2006 3:36:22 PM

All the worrying and whining like girls when you can be playing games with a perfectly good card is my point.

Who cares if a $0.10 heatsink falls off. BGA heatsinks fall off all the time, I have one that fell off the other day. They're worthless!

The card will work for years with or without one. It's not worth the hassle and shipping costs to get another card.

MAME KILL BURN
September 1, 2006 3:49:04 PM

Quote:
All the worrying and whining like girls when you can be playing games with a perfectly good card is my point.

Who cares if a $0.10 heatsink falls off. BGA heatsinks fall off all the time, I have one that fell off the other day. They're worthless!

The card will work for years with or without one. It's not worth the hassle and shipping costs to get another card.

MAME KILL BURN

Yea, then you watch the whole card fall apart, and then you get pissed. RMA the card to newegg, and dont be cocky on this forum.
September 1, 2006 6:07:41 PM

I called Newegg this afternoon. Very painless, gave me the RMA and hopefully I can get it shipped out before the weekend. They said it'd take about a week. I do agree with the better safe than sorry idea - even if the card will run fine without it, I'd rather just get a replacement, even if it does take a little while. Guess I'm not much of a gansta :wink: Thanks for the advice.
September 2, 2006 12:20:45 AM

Hey ell pollo,
I think YOU are WHINING ....DUDE.....he paid good money for a good GPU....WTF MAN!!!
Listen....how bout you go buy a BRAND NEW CAR...you go to pick it up the next day after your financing comes through...it's your first new car you ever had....and you see there is a dent in the bumper of your BRAND NEW CAR....You make mention of it to the salesman....and he says this ......to YOU....and I quote "All the worrying and whining like girls when you can be playing games with a perfectly good card is my point.

Who cares if a $0.10 heatsink falls off. BGA heatsinks fall off all the time, I have one that fell off the other day. They're worthless! " What would YOU SAY to that salesman ??? HUH ????

Get a life dude... or better yet!!! it seems that you have more money than brains and dont' mind WASTING money on purchasing a product that is NOT in "NEW" condition for which you bought it.... so go ahead... or better yet!!!! Why don't you buy the card off him for mWHAT HE PAID and let the guy go and buy a another new one...

If you don't have anything constructive to say to help this guy out except to FLAME us for advising him to RMA his card then just don't even bother to post................. :roll:
September 2, 2006 12:48:07 AM

There is no way in hell I'd RMA a card because one of the ramsinks fell off. They dont freakin work good on DDR2/3 memory anyways, and if they did, it's only when installed correctly.

When you send that card back, Newegg is probably going to be out of stock already, and you'll simply get your money back(and lose the good deal on the card you got).
!