Hiding shred folders (Help, please)

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 24, 2004 9:03:11 PM

A little help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I have a Novell share which is migrating to 2003 as soon as I can remedy
this issue. I'm drawing a blank.

Currently under the 'SHARED' folder there are 35 directories each with
different levels of group access.

ie:
Group1 has access to 2 of the 35 folders
(the others are NOT visible).
Group2 has access to 5 of the 35 folers.
(the others are NOT visible).
etc.

I want to mimic this on the 2003 side.

I've shared the folder. The users S: Drive maps to this shared folder. But
I can't seem to hide certain directories. The user either sees them all or
none.

This will be too confusing for many of the users here (older population).

Is there a way to make it so users see only the directories that they have
access to under the shared folder?

Thanks in advance..

More about : hiding shred folders

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:59:22 PM

Windows is different, and this is a common frustration for people migrating
from NetWare (it was for me, too, along with the loss of Salvage). Users
will see all subfolders under a folder that they have rights to see. Control
access with NTFS permissions, or set up your shares/folders so that you have
a parent folder and each shared folder that requires separate
permissions/'viewability' is a separate share. You can hide shares by
sharing them as FOLDER$ (the dollar sign makes the share a hidden one).

Kamrna wrote:
> A little help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
>
> I have a Novell share which is migrating to 2003 as soon as I can
> remedy this issue. I'm drawing a blank.
>
> Currently under the 'SHARED' folder there are 35 directories each with
> different levels of group access.
>
> ie:
> Group1 has access to 2 of the 35 folders
> (the others are NOT visible).
> Group2 has access to 5 of the 35 folers.
> (the others are NOT visible).
> etc.
>
> I want to mimic this on the 2003 side.
>
> I've shared the folder. The users S: Drive maps to this shared
> folder. But I can't seem to hide certain directories. The user
> either sees them all or none.
>
> This will be too confusing for many of the users here (older
> population).
>
> Is there a way to make it so users see only the directories that they
> have access to under the shared folder?
>
> Thanks in advance..
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 7:41:03 PM

Check with Scriptlogic Corporation in another month (www.scriptlogic.com). We
are about to release a beta version of an installable driver that filters
folders just like you want. Gold release by end of Q4. if you're interested
in testing the beta version, please let us know by contacting the tech
support department.

-Brian Styles
ScriptLogic Corporation

!