Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Speakers
  • Dolby
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 31, 2006 3:51:38 PM

So i'm trying to figure out how to do dolby digital or/and THX. What i cant figuer out is weather in order to get this do i have to have dolby digital speakers and sound card or just a dolby digital sound card with 5.1 speakers or dolby digital speakers with just a 5.1 sound card (onboard)? Please help

More about : dolby digital thx speakers sound card

September 1, 2006 6:37:34 AM

It depends on your speakers, but if you are using normal analog powered speakers, then you need a sound card with 5.1-7.1 out (most cards these days) and software that can decode dolby digital to discrete analog channels (any deluxe versions of powerdvd or windvd or will).

It's pretty simple. If you need any help setting it up, just holler back. =)
September 1, 2006 7:17:15 PM

i'm looking to get some logitech z-640's and i wasnt sure if i would need to get a sound card such as an audigy 2 in order to get the full dolby digital experience or would just getting the speakers do that for me because i already have 5.1 integrated sound on my motherboard
Related resources
September 2, 2006 12:27:40 AM

Quote:
i'm looking to get some logitech z-640's and i wasnt sure if i would need to get a sound card such as an audigy 2 in order to get the full dolby digital experience or would just getting the speakers do that for me because i already have 5.1 integrated sound on my motherboard

If you have 5.1 speakers and a 5.1 onboard all you need is DVD player software that can decode Dolby Digital or DTS then.
September 4, 2006 2:35:08 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm,

Now simply plugging in 5.1 speakers on a 5.1 sound card won't make all your sounds instantly run in Dolby Digital 5.1. I fear this was your question. Dolby Digital audio (or DTS for that matter) are special audio encryptions running at relatively high bit-rates each being specifically engineered/programmed for each specific movie to allow the most realistic audio positioning currently available.

Your windows audio or MP3's are not encoded in Dolby Digital Audio. If you want to turn all your windows audio into Dolby Digital Audio you'll need a card that supports Dolby Digital Live! (like some of the turtle beach and Auzentech Xplosion/Mystique sound cards). You'll then need PC speakers (or better) that support COAX or Optical Audio with Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS decoding (like Logitech Z-5500's for example).

This will ensure all your audio is encoded into a Dolby Digital stream in real-time and then sent to your speakers for decoding.

I believe that was your question.. correct me if I'm wrong.
September 5, 2006 11:52:02 AM

Elmo, btw, that's a nasty-fat-nasty rig you got there...quite nice.
September 5, 2006 12:24:24 PM

Quote:
So i'm trying to figure out how to do dolby digital or/and THX. What i cant figuer out is weather in order to get this do i have to have dolby digital speakers and sound card or just a dolby digital sound card with 5.1 speakers or dolby digital speakers with just a 5.1 sound card (onboard)? Please help

To do what you mention, you need both, 5.1 speakers and a sound card that is Dolby/DTS/THX capable. In order to hear all 5 channels, you need to have the appropriate number of speakers to hear the sound; front center, front left, front right, rear left, rear right. But just having the speakers plugged in doesn't do anything unless you have a card that can decode the dolby/dts/thx signal. As it is today, the only card I know of that has dolby, dts, and thx support are the creative line up of cards, sound blaster, audigy, X-Fi, etc...
September 5, 2006 1:24:22 PM

Quote:

To do what you mention, you need both, 5.1 speakers and a sound card that is Dolby/DTS/THX capable. In order to hear all 5 channels, you need to have the appropriate number of speakers to hear the sound; front center, front left, front right, rear left, rear right. But just having the speakers plugged in doesn't do anything unless you have a card that can decode the dolby/dts/thx signal. As it is today, the only card I know of that has dolby, dts, and thx support are the creative line up of cards, sound blaster, audigy, X-Fi, etc...

TurtleBeach Montego DDL ( http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/mtg... )

or

Auzentech X-Plosion ( http://www.auzentech.com/products_xplosion.html )

The Logitech Z-5500's offer a Dolby Digital decoding solution, with a very copact receiver. They're good set, though not quite perfect sounding, you'll likely be very satisfied.

...or you can pair one of the above referenced cards with a contemporary receiver that will decode Dolby Digital as well (and you may already have this type of receiver with descent speakers). As has been said before, you'll want to use the best speakers you can afford (which are not the Logitech Z-5500's, they're nice, but not the best) paired with your best DACs. One benefit to using using one of the above mentioned cards and the Logitech Z-5500's is simplicity. You'll get good sound with less wires and a very compact DD/DTS pre-amp.

If sound quality is more important to you than component size I'd recommend, again, one of the aforementioned audio cards, receiver, with some reasonable-to-good speakers. I would not recommend an X-Fi for any setup where Dolby Digital is a consideration since it has no encoding abilites, and, at its price, it should.
September 6, 2006 3:08:39 AM

Quote:

As it is today, the only card I know of that has dolby, dts, and thx support are the creative line up of cards, sound blaster, audigy, X-Fi, etc...

That's just marketting spin. An onboard soundcard is just as capable of "supporting" Dolby Digital and DTS as a Creative sound card, because it's DVD movie software that ultimately decodes Dolby Digital and DTS streams, not the sound card.
September 8, 2006 3:51:09 PM

Hi guys 've got a bit of the same problem as previously mentioned.

I've got a Athlon XP-based system which I may intend to use as a HTPC in the future. The funny thing is that it runs on a nforce2 based motherboard and as we all know (many of) the nForce2 based mobos has nVIDIA Soundstorm :D  So has mine, Asus A7N8X-dlx. And as far as I know, the Soundstorm supports Dolby Digital Live. I've also read that you have to use S/PDIF to utilize DDL (which makes pretty much sense since it's Dolby Digital Live). But that's about all I've understood 'bout this.

My question is, does the Soundstorm support 5.1? If I watch a movie, will it then be real 5.1 sound so that I can truely hear that the sound from behind is behind etc.? This without some software encoding?

The reason that I'm posting in this thread is that I also intend to buy myself some Z-640:s. I quote from the Logitech url:

Quote:

PC

* For 5.1 surround sound: any 4 or 6 channel sound card
* For Dolby Digital 5.1 sound: sound card or software DVD player with built-in Dolby Digital decoding

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/SG/E...

My soundstorm would fulfil that criteria, wouldn't it? That means that the Z-640 would have a digital input like optic or coax but no coder, and that it is dependent on that the source has a coder (like the soundstorm)? I've googled around a bit and I haven't really found any really evidences that says it has (like pics or even a text saying "these speakers have a digital in", nothing)

But as I see it, that is the only way that it is possible. The only other option would be if the speakers have a digital coder in it, like the Z-5500 who has got an integrated DD/DTS-decoder, but the Z-640 doesn't. I'm really not planning to buy Z-5500, they're to expansive.

And, if I put them in on the analog outputs, then it won't be any Dolby Digital at all? Because, if it hasn't I might as well go and buy some X-530 instead?

So, to make this clear, does anyone know if the Z-640 has got a digital input? If not, is there anyone who happens to know about a 5.1-system in the same price class (a bit below 100€) which has?
September 8, 2006 6:06:20 PM

nforce2 soundstorm was one of the first consumer sound solutions to offer dolby digital live support... so to answer that part of your question, yes... soundstorm will do dolby digital 5.1 over a digital connection (optical toslink/coaxial rca)... the only reserve i have about it, is because the soundstorm chipsets are relatively old (compared to the ddl/dts interactive cards out now), that the sound quality 'may' not be up to par with the currently available ddl/dts interactive cards... all you need to take advantage of it is a digital signal decoder, that can decode a dolby digital encoded signal, and 6 seperate speakers connected to that decoder (L, R, C, LS, RS, Sub)... with that set up described, you will get surround sound from all speakers, for all of your movies, all of your games, and all of your music... its always better when the source media file comes with seperate surround channels though anyhow, that way youre guaranteed to get correct surround positioning (most games for instance, come with 5.1 channels coded into the game itself already)... either way though, you get full surround sound.

also, it does appear that the Z-640s do include a dolby digital decoder, based on the link that you gave (its one of the first features they list for it)
September 8, 2006 6:22:59 PM

they do state that it does offer a digital input connection on it, along with analog line in, and analog rear channel in connections...

the digital cable carries an encoded digital signal from the sound card... and when it reaches the signal decoder, its decoded, and then sent out to the speakers from there
September 8, 2006 9:09:14 PM

Hmmm...when I looked at that link one of the last lines I read was this: "For Dolby Digital 5.1 sound: sound card or software DVD player with built-in Dolby Digital decoding" under PC Requirements.
September 18, 2006 8:10:14 PM

ok so i have z-640 speakers and a K8N neo2 Nforce3 platinum edition mobo and i would like to know what i need to get dolby digital surround sound?
!