Where is the Software for XP to 7 upgrade?

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Want to upgrade from XP Pro to 7

I know that I SHOULD be formating and doing a clean install, but i can not because I do not have all the install discs for my programs anymore.

There was a list of programs on Yahoo last week saying that in order to do an upgrade from XP to 7 you can use these programs and it will save all the installed info on the drive so that you will not need the install discs.

What are the name and where can I get these programs?

Thanks all!

Jonmor68

Distinguished
The only way you can get to W7 and save the programs, is to first upgrade to Vista, which means you would need Vista Business or Ultimate upgrade, then W7 Profesional or Ultimate upgrade.
This would be a very expensive way to go and more trouble then it's worth.
So either upgrade to W7 and buy new programs for those that you don't have disks, or stick with XP.
You may be able to replace some of these programs with free alternatives, depending what they are.

Not to mention the fact that if anything goes wrong during either of these upgrades (XP to Vista, or Vista to 7) and the system can't be recovered (though it is rare that something catastrophic like this occurs), you're left with a non-functional system that requires a format and clean install to get operational again, and you've lost those programs in the process.

If you absolutely cannot afford to lose the programs in question, you're better off sticking with Windows XP.

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
The programs on the systems are Point-of-sale software that the manufacturer will not give me the install discs for, unless I fork over the cost of the software AGAIN and the fact that THEY have to install it all for the tune of $18k

Buying that POS software was the most expensive mistake i've ever made.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
If the computer's primary function is to be the heart of a POS system, why the itch to upgrade to windows 7? If you really want a Win7 rig to fart around on, buy/build a new one and get a KVM switch...

Better yet, don't bother with the KVM switch and use remote desktop if no one else will be physically using the machine. I found them to be a waste of money and a nuisance (with all the cords and such) as soon as I started remoting into all of my machines.

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
the main issue that I wanted to upgrade to 7 was because of the issues i've been having with all the machines...

out of no where they will all start lagging (except for the server)... i've gone through all the software and even replaced all the hardware on the network along with upgrading everything to a gig network speed. But still, laggs and interuptions in the network for no reason.

I just figured if I upgraded to Windows 7 that it would fix everything.

BTW, all these problems have been going on for a couple of years... and during "busy times" when these problems occur, it drastically screws up the business. The POS people have no idea what the issue is and just told me that it's not their problem.

Geez, I just gotta say that when you shell out money to buy software, the install disks and any licensing keys are the assets you've just bought. Their value is whatever you paid for them. If you paid $18K, then you should treat them the same way you'd treat a bundle of 18,000 dollar bills - you loose them, you're outta luck!

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I would suspect that any fresh install would have things running more smoothly, W7 or not - the POS shouldn't be a major stress on the system if everything is running optimally. Have you tried doing some spring cleaning on each of the workstations? Deleting old files and unnecessary programs, defragging, etc? Crap accumulates over time...

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Yep, the only programs installed on all the systems are only part of the POS. I've got everyone locked out of the pc's so they can ONLY use the POS, and not get on-line or anything.
All systems went throught the windows cleaner and were all defragged. I've also went through and turned off the Indexing on all the drives and removed Windows Search and any other crap that i could think of. None of this helped.

I even when into the "Processes" and searched each and every Image Name to see if anything was not relevent... but all seemed to be legit. (of course there are so many processes that when i looked up the nature of the processes it was a 50/50 chance that it's legit).
I also installed spyware software on them all, removed the BS from who know how long ago, then uninstalled the software.

Other ideas?

Thanks again all for the help!

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Yes, become the biggest SOB the POS vendor has ever known and demand that they come and make your systems sing! I can't explain the philosophy in a short post but you are the customer and if the POS vendor wants more business from you and referrals then they should make sure you are happy. If not, find another vendor with cheaper software.

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
i've been dealing with the Better Business Bearu trying to get things filed with them so that I can get my money back for the system if I do not recieve the install discs and licenses. So far it's been 4 months of jacking around and no progress. Total BS.