Can somone tell me if this is a a laptop hard drive or pc

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101012-1

hi, my friend has a box of these hard drives at work and wants to know if i want them, i noticed in the specs it says hot swapable, are these laptop hard drives or server hard drives, will they fit in my cm stacker just fine are they just as good as regular hard drives or should i just buy some segate barracudas that i was gona get without this connection.

Thanks for your help, it may be a stupid question but the specs dont say laptop hard drive or standard pc and dont want to buy these if there not gona fill my needs for the cm stacker raid o config four drives per pc.

Raknarius

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Last time I checked, laptops dont use SATA to connect HDD's, they have some sort of proprietary interface... So I would safely assume thats a standard 3.5" desktop... take a ruler and measure =)

Zenthar

Distinguished
They are standard PC hard drives, not laptops. They aren't server hard drives either, they don't come with the same kind of warranty a server HDD comes with. They are hot swapable because it needs to to be SATA2 compliant.

I don't know much about how reliable the Samsung HDDs are, but I know the Seagates have a good reliability reputation (and a 5 years warranty to back it up). They aren't normaly the fastests, but they tend to run at a lower temperature and generate less noise than others.

My 2 cents.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Damn, I realized that laptops come in SATA when I was looking at some of the new laptops, oh well, I haven't bought a laptop in two years, must be behind the times...

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It's neither here nor there whether the disk is 1/3in high or whatever else, so long as it fits within a 3.5in drive bay it's fine. The fact that it's 'shorter' (vertically) might just be so that if you have a whole bunch of them, they don't get so hot.

As far as laptops with SATA - there are loads!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
They are a bunch of standard (ie desktop), sata 2 ncq 80 GB drives with small caches... If they are indeed mounted as hotswap, usually you can just unmount the hotswap cage. Would I take them? Nah. Will you? Probably...

Let us know what you did with them.