Server Migration

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hello,
we currently have a windows 2K storage server that hosts all of our user
shares and data. This server is connected via fiber to a MAC XRaid for
storage. We have a new server running Windows 2003 storage server that we
would like to take over as our file server but make this as transparent as
posible to our users, we plan on connecting this via fiber to the XRaid that
the currnet server is connected to, removing the old server from AD and
renaming the new server to the old server's name & IP address. I just want to
know if there is anything else that I am missing, I'm hoping the data will
show up fine. We probably will need to reapply share and permissions.
Thanks

Consider using some of the tools in the Microsoft File Server Migration
Toolkit:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfsc.mspx

This toolkit will copy files/shares and their associated settings and can
optionally maintain the UNC paths of files after they are moved.