Installing Windows 7 to new drive from upgrade disk

Skibumtx

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
G'day,

I think I know the answer to this but wanted to double check before proceeding.

I have an old XP system that has died and i am building a new system to replace it. I'd like to use Win 7 on the new system meaning that the current XP software will be retired. I am purchasing new SATA HDDs and will not be using the ATA133 that has the XP installed.

If I understand correctly I can use an upgrade version of the Win 7 to perform a clean install on my new system. Correct? Any tutorials available on the process?

Thanks,
Ski

I have used method 2 exclusively, and it has worked every time (probably about 10 x on 5 diff machines).

On the regedit, it's much similar to just do a search for MediaBootInstall - it takes you right to it, then just double click on the the words " MediaBootInstall ' to open the change box and change the 1 to a 0.

Not sure what Supermuncher85 meant by "don't patch the system prior to authenticating", I've done the updates and loaded programs before doing the activation

Added: If the Install is to an SSD, then Use method 2 - Only use methode 3 if it does not activate - But as I've said, I've not had a problem yet.

NHLFever

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I am a Vista owner. I would like to do a Windows 7 clean install with upgrade software to a brand new SSD drive. Can I use method #2 for this?

I also wanted to clarify method #3. Unless I'm mistaken, the link actually does not mention installing the software twice, but that is what you have to do right? The first time don't activate, and the second time do?

I never tried method 2, but method 3 has always worked for me. For method3, yes, you are installing over top of itself the second time, then activate it.

If you have Vista on the computer you should be able to select custom install and not have to worry about doing Step 2 or set 3.

I just used an Upgrade copy to install Win 7 on my New HDD - No operating system, But Have a qualifying previous version for it. Did method #2, but did not activate. Forget why, but decided to reload win 7. Again selected Custom, deleted partitions and re-installed win 7 (NOT an Upgrade, but clean install). When completed, Windows install treaded it as an "upgrade" even though I wiped the win 7 by deleting the partition. You may think that this is the same as #3 - but it is not, Method 3 has you redo the installation as an Upgrade, not a custom install!

Repeat (with vista on HDD) select custom install
(1) Delete partitions, Install Win7, Do updates (if asked to activate, TRY.).
(2) Try activation, If it works - DONE, or just verify that MediaBoot install = "0" - If so proceed with activation.
(3) If MediaBootInstall = 1, then change to a "0" and do the Slgmr /rearm (from the cmd prompt). - Try activation.
(4) Use method 3 - BUT only if you need to (ie above fails) - Don't go thru the hassle of reinstalling unless you NEED to.

Added - The OP is using a New HDD, so no problem doing option 3, other than time consumming; But for others reading this, they May have an SSD inwhich case Option 3 is the worst option and shoud only be used as a last resort!!

Doing a custom install on a new/blank drive does work for some people and not for others. I have not been able to figure out the determining factor which allows it to be installed this way. Method 3 has always worked for me, although like you said, it is time consuming.

That is why I said "try" method 2 first (He does have a "New" so it will come up, InstallBootMedia = 1, and need to change it to a 0. If that doesn't work - then go to option 3. I would only use option 3, if option 2 did not work. Only takes 5 Min. Everything to gain, and nothing to lose. If you have to use Method 3, so be it - but at least try method 2 before resorting to method 3.

For the "some" that it works, I have a feeling they have left the "old" HDD in, but did the install to a "New" HDD - Just a guess.