Copying files without changing ownership

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am retiring a server that contains the home directories
of our many users. I want to copy these home directories
to the new server. How do I do this without changing the
ownership of the files? It is my experience that when I
move files as a Domain Admin the ownership changes to the
Domain Admin account. This messes up the disk quotas I
have assigned to the users. If they do not own the files,
there are not charged for them in disk quotas.

Jerry

XCOPY /O will retain ownership. Robocopy from the Resource Kit can do this
as well.

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)