Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ActiveSync - only Outlook?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:23:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Is there a work-around that lets you sync with the calender, contacts,
etc., in Mozilla Firefox rather than Outlook?

I hate Outlook with a vengence and really don't want to have it
installed on my desktop PC just to act as somewhere to back up my files.

More about : activesync outlook

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:23:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The only two desktop PIMs that ActiveSync works with (that I know of)
are: Outlook (various versions) and Microsoft Works.

There are third party PIM sync apps that sync with various PIMs like
ACT. However, I do not know if anything syncs with Mozilla Thunderbird.
That wouldn't help you much anyway since that would only give you sync
access to email and contacts. It wouldn't give you access to a calendar
(Sunbird) or tasks.

You may want to check Mozilla.org and SourceForge.net to see if there
are any Open Source projects that can sync a Pocket PC to an Open Source
PIM project.
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info
http://www.OgasaWalrus.com/MobileDot/ - Brief News & Comments


SteveG wrote:
> Is there a work-around that lets you sync with the calender, contacts,
> etc., in Mozilla Firefox rather than Outlook?
>
> I hate Outlook with a vengence and really don't want to have it
> installed on my desktop PC just to act as somewhere to back up my files.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:37:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

SteveG wrote:
> Is there a work-around that lets you sync with the calender, contacts,
> etc., in Mozilla Firefox rather than Outlook?
>
> I hate Outlook with a vengence and really don't want to have it
> installed on my desktop PC just to act as somewhere to back up my files.

Sorry, brain fade - I meant Thunderbird not Firefox :-)
Related resources
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:37:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Steve,

As far as I know, only Outlook and Outlook Express will work with
ActiveSync. Now there are other sync'ing application out there that may
work but I'm not sure. You may want to check on the Thunderbird website to
see if they have a statement about it and ActiveSync.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!


"SteveG" <s.goodfellow@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:unH1Opn9EHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> SteveG wrote:
>> Is there a work-around that lets you sync with the calender, contacts,
>> etc., in Mozilla Firefox rather than Outlook?
>>
>> I hate Outlook with a vengence and really don't want to have it installed
>> on my desktop PC just to act as somewhere to back up my files.
>
> Sorry, brain fade - I meant Thunderbird not Firefox :-)
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:00:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!) wrote:
> Steve,
>
> As far as I know, only Outlook and Outlook Express will work with
> ActiveSync. Now there are other sync'ing application out there that may
> work but I'm not sure. You may want to check on the Thunderbird website to
> see if they have a statement about it and ActiveSync.
>
> Regards,
>

Thanks for that Clinton. I'll have a scan and see what I can find.

--
Regards

Steve G
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:02:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Todd Ogasawara, Mobile Devices MVP wrote:
> The only two desktop PIMs that ActiveSync works with (that I know of)
> are: Outlook (various versions) and Microsoft Works.
>
> There are third party PIM sync apps that sync with various PIMs like
> ACT. However, I do not know if anything syncs with Mozilla Thunderbird.
> That wouldn't help you much anyway since that would only give you sync
> access to email and contacts. It wouldn't give you access to a calendar
> (Sunbird) or tasks.

I've got a calendar that works in Thunderbird and, in all honesty,
that's the only bit I'm concerned about sync'ing. I don't use the iPAQ
for emails and the contacts list doesn't take much time to update manually.

>
> You may want to check Mozilla.org and SourceForge.net to see if there
> are any Open Source projects that can sync a Pocket PC to an Open Source
> PIM project.

On my way there as we speak :-)


--
Regards

Steve G
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:22:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Group,

Made a mistake here on this post. Outlook Express will NOT work with
ActiveSync.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!


"Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
<management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
news:u5$kZIo9EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Steve,
>
> As far as I know, only Outlook and Outlook Express will work with
> ActiveSync. Now there are other sync'ing application out there that may
> work but I'm not sure. You may want to check on the Thunderbird website
> to see if they have a statement about it and ActiveSync.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>
>
> "SteveG" <s.goodfellow@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:unH1Opn9EHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> SteveG wrote:
>>> Is there a work-around that lets you sync with the calender, contacts,
>>> etc., in Mozilla Firefox rather than Outlook?
>>>
>>> I hate Outlook with a vengence and really don't want to have it
>>> installed on my desktop PC just to act as somewhere to back up my files.
>>
>> Sorry, brain fade - I meant Thunderbird not Firefox :-)
>
>
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:25:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Have you looked at Intellisync ? It advertises that it will sync with any
files.
Jim

SteveG wrote:

> Is there a work-around that lets you sync with the calender, contacts,
> etc., in Mozilla Firefox rather than Outlook?
>
> I hate Outlook with a vengence and really don't want to have it
> installed on my desktop PC just to act as somewhere to back up my files.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:03:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

--
Regards

Steve G


Jim Romanchek wrote:
> Have you looked at Intellisync ? It advertises that it will sync with any
> files.
> Jim
>
> SteveG wrote:
>
>
>>Is there a work-around that lets you sync with the calender, contacts,
>>etc., in Mozilla Firefox rather than Outlook?
>>
>>I hate Outlook with a vengence and really don't want to have it
>>installed on my desktop PC just to act as somewhere to back up my files.
>
>
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 4:09:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)" <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
news:uXVpzsr9EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Group,
>
> Made a mistake here on this post. Outlook Express will NOT work with ActiveSync.

Correct. Intellisync does work with OE. I don't know of any sync
program that works with Mozilla Thunderbird.

--
John Richards
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 1:08:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

SteveG:

Any update on finding something that will sync with Mozilla products?
I'd be interested in looking at a product like that, too.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
!