Hide Inactive Icons

HP Pavilion ZT3200 notebook, Windows XP Home (OEM), SP2.
I can't get the "Hide Inctive Icons" to work properly.
When I right click the taskbar, properies, check the HIDE
INACTIVE ICONS box (the demo shows the chevron), apply,
OK. The chevron on the right side notification area does
not appear and the icons are not hidden. Am I missing
something? The taskbar is not locked, I have run a script
from Kelly's Korner Ienable/disable hide inactive icons).
I have 12 icons in the notification area. Is that enough
icons for HIDE INACTIVE ICONS to work? Any suggestions?
All help will be greatly apprteciated. Thank you.

Rod
7 answers Last reply
More about hide inactive icons

    Hide inactive icons will work with just one or two, you should not be seeing
    twelve.

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com>
    wrote in news:%236eLzq5vEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
    > Hide inactive icons will work with just one or two, you should not be
    > seeing twelve.

    I have 16 tray icons of which 10 are set to "Always hide" (so only 6
    show in the unexpanded tray area). Where did you get the idea that only
    2 tray icons could be hidden?

    wrote in news:0a5e01c4bf95$60074ce0$a501280a@phx.gbl:
    > HP Pavilion ZT3200 notebook, Windows XP Home (OEM), SP2.
    > I can't get the "Hide Inctive Icons" to work properly.
    > When I right click the taskbar, properies, check the HIDE
    > INACTIVE ICONS box (the demo shows the chevron), apply,
    > OK. The chevron on the right side notification area does
    > not appear and the icons are not hidden. Am I missing
    > something? The taskbar is not locked, I have run a script
    > from Kelly's Korner Ienable/disable hide inactive icons).
    > I have 12 icons in the notification area. Is that enough
    > icons for HIDE INACTIVE ICONS to work? Any suggestions?
    > All help will be greatly apprteciated. Thank you.
    >
    > Rod

    Did you then click Customize to see when the tray icons would be hidden?
    If you set them to "Hide when inactive" then maybe they are not
    considered inactive (so they will always show). What happens when you
    configure some to "Always hide"?

    VanguardX,

    I set them all to "ALWAYS HIDE". The Chevron now appears
    at the lower right taskbar in the notification area. Now
    it works. To get an icon to appear, I can either set them
    to "HIDE WHEN INACTIVE", or click the chevron to make all
    the icons appear. It works opposite to the way my Dell
    works, but it works just fine. Thank you very much. Boo,
    have a scary, fun Halloween.

    Rod

    ********
    >Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to
    Subject.
    ________

    >.

    I never said that only two could be hidden. I said that Hide Inactive Icons
    will work with as few as two.

    wrote in news:OQ5dYp8vEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    > I never said that only two could be hidden. I said that Hide
    > Inactive Icons will work with as few as two.
    >
    > "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com>
    >> wrote in news:%236eLzq5vEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
    >>> Hide inactive icons will work with just one or two, you should not
    >>> be seeing twelve.
    >>
    >> I have 16 tray icons of which 10 are set to "Always hide" (so only 6
    >> show in the unexpanded tray area). Where did you get the idea that
    >> only 2 tray icons could be hidden?

    Okay. You said "just one or two" which I interpreted as meaning a
    maximum of two.

    The entire quote of the post is: "Hide inactive icons will work with just

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com>
    > wrote in news:OQ5dYp8vEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    >> I never said that only two could be hidden. I said that Hide
    >> Inactive Icons will work with as few as two.
    >>
    >> "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have 16 tray icons of which 10 are set to "Always hide" (so only 6
    >>> show in the unexpanded tray area). Where did you get the idea that
    >>> only 2 tray icons could be hidden?
    >

    > Okay. You said "just one or two" which I interpreted as meaning a maximum
    > of two.

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Taskbar Icons Microsoft HP Pavilion Windows XP