X6800 OC' with Multiplier only?

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
Hi can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? I've never OC'd my old system, and i'm trying my hand at it now.

I set the multiplier to 13 in bios and i can't get it stable at 3.46Ghz with 100 percent load with Orthos for more than 2-3 min at a time...

Do i have to manually increase the voltage to the cup also? right now i have it set to "Auto" if so what voltage should i start with? 1.425? or something lower? like 1.4v ?

mockthedevil

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
There is alot more to overclocking your system than just increasing the multiplier. As the previous poster mentioned, we'd need to know the complete specs and settings on your system.

Just for the record though, my x6800 and P5W DH wouldn't run stable at default vcore with a x13 multiplier either.

There are a number of good overclocking guides around the web to help you along, probably one for your specific motherboard even.

Good luck.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
Sorry about that guys, i didn't think about my current system settings:

I disabled the following things in bios:(I left the Q-Fan stuff enabled, since the Panaflo is so loud without it, 2500 RPM instead of 1600rpm if left enabled..)
AI Tuning
Hyperpath
Limit CPUID
C1E
EIST
Virtualization Technology
No-Execute Memory Protect

Bios:
Memory Settings in Bios:

3-4-3-9 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) 800Mhz DDR2
Row Cycle Time(tRC) 22T Command Rate(CR) 2T, Write Recovery Time(tWR) 6T set to 2.2V

CPU voltage i still have it set to "Auto" in the bios.
At 12 Multiplier i boot fine, and i can run Orthos for 6+ hours without a problem,

As soon as i set the multiplier to 13, i can't be in windows for more than 2-5 minutes before it reboots.

I've looked at some OC guides, but i'm not clear if i have to up the voltage for the cpu if i only crank up the multiplier??? I understand what to do i guess if i want to raise the FSB, but i'm not touching the FSB, just the multiplier..

Does anyone know for sure if i should or should not crank up the voltage for the cpu if i only want to raise the multiplier?

mockthedevil

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
OK, you've a good start on your BIOS settings. I would try inching up your vcore and see if you can get the system stable.

I chose to OC the FSB instead of messing with the multiplier. I'm running at FSB 312 x 11 = 3432Mhz, with a vcore of 1.375

Keep in mind that you've an $1100 CPU in there... watch ur temps and realize that the only thing that's going to improve with a few hundred more mhz are your benchmarks.

I quit at 3432 (for now :D ), 'cause my temps were getting high and other than some milliseconds off of SuperPi, there wasn't anything to be gained by going faster.

Good luck and have fun!

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
Thanks for the info, i know what you mean about the CPU Costing $$$
my heart is in my throat every time i think about uping the vCore. lol

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006

you should read the OC guide for c2d's on this forum, it will explain everything you want to know and when to change the FSB or raise the vCORE.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002

you should read the OC guide for c2d's on this forum, it will explain everything you want to know and when to change the FSB or raise the vCORE.

Yup i did read it, but since i've never done it before i'm kind of nervous, i'm running 3.46Ghz as i write this, i raised the vCore to 1.375, in cpu-z the voltage reads from 1.36 to 1.384 it fluctuates, is that normal ? or is it messed up?

octop8

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
You can get it abroad from OCUK (overclockers.co.uk). They sent me mine in about 2 weeks, have to pay for shipping costs from the UK though...