W2000 and Error Checking.

I was told today that you do not need to ever do error
checking on a drive that is set up in the NTFS file system.

Is that true? Can anyone shed light on this for me? Not
sure of the technology behind that.

If so why does Microsoft have it on the tools tab of the
drives in 2000? Is it just there in case you are running
Fat32?

dl

Which particular tool are you refering to?