Screen goes blank!

a b C Monitor
November 1, 2004 10:06:07 AM

I've got a computer problem. The Dell computer XP has a power saver mode for
the monitor that you can set to turn off the display after a given time. It
is set to never turn off the computer monitor. However right smack in the
middle of doing something the monitor displays a little box: "DVI power
saving mode". Then it goes black screen. The only means to reboot, once
you've lost a monitor, is the on/off button on the computer. It does
reboot. But, randomly it will decide to go into power saving mode, maybe it
is five minutes or thirty minutes. The connections are good. A trouble
shooting CD that came with the Dell computer mentions the Digital Video
Interface card. I believe it is likely a hardware problem, the DVI card.
However, it is hard to be sure; it might be software. Help, please?

More about : screen blank

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 1, 2004 10:06:08 AM

Paragraphs work wonders
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 1, 2004 10:06:08 AM

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 07:06:07 +0700, Jay Cee wrote:

> I've got a computer problem. The Dell computer XP has a power saver mode for
> the monitor that you can set to turn off the display after a given time. It
> is set to never turn off the computer monitor. However right smack in the
> middle of doing something the monitor displays a little box: "DVI power
> saving mode". Then it goes black screen. The only means to reboot, once
> you've lost a monitor, is the on/off button on the computer. It does
> reboot. But, randomly it will decide to go into power saving mode, maybe it
> is five minutes or thirty minutes. The connections are good. A trouble
> shooting CD that came with the Dell computer mentions the Digital Video
> Interface card. I believe it is likely a hardware problem, the DVI card.
> However, it is hard to be sure; it might be software. Help, please?

Check the manual for the monitor and its on-screen menus to see if you can
find a way to turn off any built- power settings. If no luck, contact tech
support for the monitor or, if available, try it with the analog cable
instead of DVI.

I found a cached thread about this that was on the Dell forums. It's been
deleted there but is still in the Google Group archives. One person had
the monitor replaced by Dell. Another opted to use analog:
http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:63xY0DVwYIQJ:forum...

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Thanks, Sharon.

news:o aPsgz7vEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 07:06:07 +0700, Jay Cee wrote:
>
>> I've got a computer problem. The Dell computer XP has a power saver mode
>> for
>> the monitor that you can set to turn off the display after a given time.
>> It
>> is set to never turn off the computer monitor. However right smack in
>> the
>> middle of doing something the monitor displays a little box: "DVI power
>> saving mode". Then it goes black screen. The only means to reboot, once
>> you've lost a monitor, is the on/off button on the computer. It does
>> reboot. But, randomly it will decide to go into power saving mode, maybe
>> it
>> is five minutes or thirty minutes. The connections are good. A trouble
>> shooting CD that came with the Dell computer mentions the Digital Video
>> Interface card. I believe it is likely a hardware problem, the DVI card.
>> However, it is hard to be sure; it might be software. Help, please?
>
> Check the manual for the monitor and its on-screen menus to see if you can
> find a way to turn off any built- power settings. If no luck, contact tech
> support for the monitor or, if available, try it with the analog cable
> instead of DVI.
>
> I found a cached thread about this that was on the Dell forums. It's been
> deleted there but is still in the Google Group archives. One person had
> the monitor replaced by Dell. Another opted to use analog:
> http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:63xY0DVwYIQJ:forum...
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 1, 2004 5:18:17 PM

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:18:16 +0700, Jay Cee wrote:

> Thanks, Sharon.

You're welcome, Jay Cee and good luck with this.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User