Old card/new monitor

pas

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Hello All,

I'm considering purchasing a Viewsonic 20.1" 16:9 aspect ratio monitor (VX2025WM) and I have an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro AGP graphics card which is about 5-6 years old. My question is: will this new monitor be compatible with the old video card?

I am running W2K and have the latest available driver for the ATI card.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Al

pas

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Yes, that's the correct question: will the old card support the new monitor. I would be pretty confident of that if I were buying a new 4:3 aspect ratio monitor but I'm just not sure how it would work out with the newer 16:9 aspect ratio. Is this a function of the card, monitor, or a combination of both? I did check the resolutions that the are available but they are all 4:3 aspect ratios. Btw, what is "AWI"?

Thanks for the help.

Al

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
If your monitor does not have a VGA connector you will need a VGA to DVI adapter, but it should work. But, your AIW will probably be stressed pretty close to it's resolution limit, you should consider laying out some more money for a new card.

pas

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Thanks. I think I'll just go with a 19" 4:3 monitor and get a 16:9 when I get a new machine.

Al

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Good choice. Unless you are a hard core gamer and plan on building a new system just go with a 19 inch. I got a nice one for 200 bucks. You can prob find a good one for that price or even lower. My only advice is to buy a monitor at your local bestbuy,comusa,etc..... that way you can have them open the box and test it out for dead pixels before you leave the store. I got my monitor at Office Depot and the guy took it out of the box and tested it for me and it has been working fine so far. That beats getting it on the internet and then taking it out to find out it has one dead/stuck pixel and then you can't return it.