Distributing A Single share across multipule logical drive..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 31, 2004 12:49:01 PM

All,

This is a tough one. I have a share on my server called \Users. Users home
directories are mapped to this in the form of \\server\users\%username%

This directory is becomming very large and I would like to be able to
distribute the load across several logical disks to help improve disk/network
access time to this folder/share.

I have 3 logical drives on this server. They are:

D:
F:
G:

I want to break up my \Users folder alphabetically on the drives in this
fashion.

D: A - f
F: H - P
G: Q -Z

The goal is to have a users folder that contains all the usersname shares
accessiable from a single share \\server\users\, but have the data spread
across multipule drives. I have tried to to this using DFS but I end up with
path's that look like this:

\\server\users\a - f\%username%
\\server\users\h-p\%username%
\\server\users\q - z\%username%

I need ALL the %username% folders to be directly under the \\server\users
folder with out the a-f, h-p, q-z in the file path. Does anyone know how to
accomplish this ??
September 2, 2004 2:47:04 PM

Drumgod-

I have a similar situation at my place of work as well. Perhaps we can help
each other out.

I will be spreading out our users home folders out in a similar manner as
yourself. I think you could tackle this as follows...

First, create the three directories you have listed there on one disk. Then,
go to the Disk Management interface and "mount the volumes" to the folder
path for the remaining disks. This will make the OS put any data dropped in
that folder onto the redirected volume.

Then, use this VBScript to perform the drive mappings to the various "home"
folders...

'Create a Shell object
Set objWS = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'Access Environment variables using ExpandEnvironmentStrings()
UserName = objWS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%USERNAME%")

'Create a Regular Expression object
Set objRegExp = New RegExp
objRegExp.IgnoreCase = True

'Create an array holding 5 values
ListOfLetters = Array("A-E","F-J","K-O","P-T","U-Z")

'Loop through the array checking each possible value against the UserName
'in order to determine the home folder path.

For Each SetOfLetters in ListOfLetters

objRegExp.Pattern = "^[" & SetOfLetters & "]"
If objRegExp.Test(UserName) Then
Folder = SetOfLetters
End If

Next

'Create a Network object
Set objNetwork = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

'Map the drive
objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\ServerName\HOME\" & Folder & "\" &
UserName

Let me know if this works out for you. Funny that DFS didn't work. I was
going to test that method out. My problem is that in group policy, I need to
have folder redirection move the "My Docs" the users home folder but I don't
know how to make that happen for all users since all the users will have
their home folder in various locations. I think I need to use a variable but
not sure how.

Good luck!

Michael

!