Distributing A Single share across multipule logical drive..

All,

This is a tough one. I have a share on my server called \Users. Users home
directories are mapped to this in the form of \\server\users\%username%

This directory is becomming very large and I would like to be able to
distribute the load across several logical disks to help improve disk/network
access time to this folder/share.

I have 3 logical drives on this server. They are:

D:
F:
G:

I want to break up my \Users folder alphabetically on the drives in this
fashion.

D: A - f
F: H - P
G: Q -Z

The goal is to have a users folder that contains all the usersname shares
accessiable from a single share \\server\users\, but have the data spread
across multipule drives. I have tried to to this using DFS but I end up with
path's that look like this:

\\server\users\a - f\%username%
\\server\users\h-p\%username%
\\server\users\q - z\%username%

I need ALL the %username% folders to be directly under the \\server\users
folder with out the a-f, h-p, q-z in the file path. Does anyone know how to
accomplish this ??
1 answer Last reply
More about distributing single share multipule logical drive

    Drumgod-

    I have a similar situation at my place of work as well. Perhaps we can help
    each other out.

    I will be spreading out our users home folders out in a similar manner as
    yourself. I think you could tackle this as follows...

    First, create the three directories you have listed there on one disk. Then,
    go to the Disk Management interface and "mount the volumes" to the folder
    path for the remaining disks. This will make the OS put any data dropped in
    that folder onto the redirected volume.

    Then, use this VBScript to perform the drive mappings to the various "home"
    folders...

    'Create a Shell object
    Set objWS = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

    'Access Environment variables using ExpandEnvironmentStrings()
    UserName = objWS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%USERNAME%")

    'Create a Regular Expression object
    Set objRegExp = New RegExp
    objRegExp.IgnoreCase = True

    'Create an array holding 5 values
    ListOfLetters = Array("A-E","F-J","K-O","P-T","U-Z")

    'Loop through the array checking each possible value against the UserName
    'in order to determine the home folder path.

    For Each SetOfLetters in ListOfLetters

    objRegExp.Pattern = "^[" & SetOfLetters & "]"
    If objRegExp.Test(UserName) Then
    Folder = SetOfLetters
    End If

    Next

    'Create a Network object
    Set objNetwork = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

    'Map the drive
    objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\ServerName\HOME\" & Folder & "\" &
    UserName

    Let me know if this works out for you. Funny that DFS didn't work. I was
    going to test that method out. My problem is that in group policy, I need to
    have folder redirection move the "My Docs" the users home folder but I don't
    know how to make that happen for all users since all the users will have
    their home folder in various locations. I think I need to use a variable but
    not sure how.

    Good luck!

    Michael

    "Drumgod" wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > This is a tough one. I have a share on my server called \Users. Users home
    > directories are mapped to this in the form of \\server\users\%username%
    >
    > This directory is becomming very large and I would like to be able to
    > distribute the load across several logical disks to help improve disk/network
    > access time to this folder/share.
    >
    > I have 3 logical drives on this server. They are:
    >
    > D:
    > F:
    > G:
    >
    > I want to break up my \Users folder alphabetically on the drives in this
    > fashion.
    >
    > D: A - f
    > F: H - P
    > G: Q -Z
    >
    > The goal is to have a users folder that contains all the usersname shares
    > accessiable from a single share \\server\users\, but have the data spread
    > across multipule drives. I have tried to to this using DFS but I end up with
    > path's that look like this:
    >
    > \\server\users\a - f\%username%
    > \\server\users\h-p\%username%
    > \\server\users\q - z\%username%
    >
    > I need ALL the %username% folders to be directly under the \\server\users
    > folder with out the a-f, h-p, q-z in the file path. Does anyone know how to
    > accomplish this ??

File System Servers Windows