How hot is too hot?

CDub

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
I am new to overclocking, but have been building rigs and coding for years. I have an E6700 and am doing a (what most would consider only a moderate) overclock to 3.34 ghz (333fsb x 10).

My idle temp is about 45C. Under load it hits 59/60. Keep in mind it's about 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35C) in the room. Gotta love Southern California houses with no air conditioning.

When the temp hits 60, the asus ai monitor yells at me. I believe I read somewhere that Intel rates the c2d chips at up to 60. But how hot is too hot? Am I going to burn up my cpu?

Thanks!

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
most intel CPU have throttling for when they get too hot. what cooler u got on there???

for once im glad i live in the cold u.k. a sunny 18c where i am. whoop.
when summer hit the high 30s my pc nearly died, had too drop off my OC by 100mhz. hard times...

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
For a CPU that is supposed to be sooo power efficient, everyone seems to whine about excessive temperatures...

It's fairly high, maybe get yourself a copper sink or something? =)

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
For a CPU that is supposed to be sooo power efficient, everyone seems to whine about excessive temperatures...

It's only because of the sh!tty Intel HS/F that comes with it. And the fact that people are too stupid to figure out how to apply arctic silver properly.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I wouldn't really recommend arctic silver to anyone though..
Conducting grease is bad. I use XT Flux thingy, non conducting and near equal performance ;)

Their HSFs didn't use to be very bad, the ones I've seen were pretty damn big and had a good 70-80mm fan on them..

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

It's only because of the sh!tty Intel HS/F that comes with it. And the fact that people are too stupid to figure out how to apply arctic silver properly.

Keep in mind that Intel changed the way the C2D temps are read compared to Netburst, simply locating the on-die thermosensitive diode closer to a hotspot would result in higher readings despite having a lower TDP.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
I am new to overclocking, but have been building rigs and coding for years. I have an E6700 and am doing a (what most would consider only a moderate) overclock to 3.34 ghz (333fsb x 10).

My idle temp is about 45C. Under load it hits 59/60. Keep in mind it's about 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35C) in the room. Gotta love Southern California houses with no air conditioning.

When the temp hits 60, the asus ai monitor yells at me. I believe I read somewhere that Intel rates the c2d chips at up to 60. But how hot is too hot? Am I going to burn up my cpu?

Thanks!

i'd recommend runnng EVEREST Ultimate Edition "System Stability Test". While you are stressing out the ram,cpu fpu, hdd you can monitor temp changes of cpu & mobo and monitor throttling % if any.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Wrong, the throttle doesn't occur till 85c. Go read the thermal white papers on Intel's site. I've also seen it happen! My Intel sink was crap and on stock speeds with a dual-core stress test (Orthos) I hit 84 and watched it throttle.

The thing I didn't find in the white papers was at what temp it will just shut off. I didn't let it go at 84c for long, so I didn't get a shut down.

61 is the max safe operating temperature also according to INtel.

I wouldn't want to run at > 70c for long, I'm sure for benching 60-70c is ok but I would not run that for daily use...

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Wrong, the throttle doesn't occur till 85c. Go read the thermal white papers on Intel's site. I've also seen it happen! My Intel sink was crap and on stock speeds with a dual-core stress test (Orthos) I hit 84 and watched it throttle.

The thing I didn't find in the white papers was at what temp it will just shut off. I didn't let it go at 84c for long, so I didn't get a shut down.

61 is the max safe operating temperature also according to INtel.

I wouldn't want to run at > 70c for long, I'm sure for benching 60-70c is ok but I would not run that for daily use...

what did you use to stress the two cores?

mpjesse

Splendid
In such a hot environment, you should only OC the CPU if you have water cooling.

Young Jedi, I do not believe that even water-cooling would make much difference, for unless you're using some exotic technique (like AC or phase charge), the kit cannot bring it below ambient room temp. Additionally, the rest of the circuits would get nice and toasty because he would no longer have the fan in a HSF configuration blowing air about. Unless of course he had something for that.

Word.

Undoubtedly a high ambient temp (like 90F) certainly doesn't help the efficiency of water cooling, but water cooling would still do a good job under those conditions. Remember that water cooling usually has an abnormally large heatsink mounted (often) outside the case, where it is much cooler. Right now the ambient temp in my house is about 20C. But the temp inside my system is still a whopping 44C. So can u imagine what his case temp is in 30C conditions?

Anyways, point i'm making is watercooling would still work very well for him even if his house is hot.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I was using Everest Ultimate Edition, since it has a built-in stress tester that will monitor throttling.

You could also use ThrottleWatch (haven't gotten that myself) and Orthos Beta to stress both cores at 100% (Orthos Beta link).

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
yes the best thing you can do is try to lower your room temps

but spending 500 or more on a window ac unit would cool your home
and help your pc run cooler.
but you could buy a phasechange cooler for 500 or more
well actually 800 or more.