Sign in with
Your question

reformat reinstall windows? How important?

Last response: in CPUs
August 31, 2006 11:56:55 PM

Hi I just took out my Asus A7v8x-x motherboard, athlon 2600+ CPU and 768megs of DDR333 mem(1x512, 1x512).
I replaced them with an Asus AV8 motherboard, AMD64 3700+ CPU and a single stick of 1024 meg DDR400 corsair ValueSelect ram.
I put the same vid. and sound cards I was using previously sapphire 9600pro256meg AGP card. Sound blaster 24bit live.
All without reformatting or reinstalling the OS windows XP SP2 all the updates.
(So far everything seems to be working smoothly with no problems)
Finally the question, How important would it be with this type of change to reformat the harddrives and reinstall the operating system if at all.
I have reinstalled all the drivers for the new board the chip (from the AMD web site) etc.
Any help would be really appreciated.
September 1, 2006 12:18:23 AM

?

if it boots up and loads windows on a new motherboard install call yourself lucky.

If you're getting a blue screen or just not loading windows you need to reinstall windows on a new motherboard install.
September 1, 2006 1:11:14 AM

I'd say it's a good idea. Over time Windows settles in and starts accumulating crap (much like a broke college buddy), and wiping and re-installing can speed up your computer considerably. Once I went from a 2.5 minute boot to a 1.5 minute boot, even with all the same software starting up.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 3:22:16 AM

Consider yourself lucky, it seems like the transition between those two Via chipsets base motherboards (Would be A8V for Asus, AV8 for Abit) wasn't that much of a big deal for the OS. Even if it seems to be a flawless victory at this point, keep your eyes open for BSODs, lockups and performance issues.
November 15, 2006 9:46:07 PM

Hey If anybodies still watching this.
My personal experience is that windows does need a reinstall after such an upgrade. The problem seems to be the old drivers and dot dll files are left on in the underneath of the harddrive.
Anyway what ever way you describe it. It certainly starts to act not to it's fullest potential after a while.
So I recommend the reinstall. Of course I usually reinstall windows every 6 months or so anyway.
Have a good one.
November 16, 2006 12:37:59 AM

All I can say is that you are extremely lucky. So far.

I doubt that this happy state of affairs will continue much longer. I (and the other posters) could be wrong, but this is Windows you are talking about, after all.

My recommendation is to reformat and reinstall. Eventually, deeply hidden drivers and *.dll files will start to cause problems. Even before this happens, I expect that conflicts between old and new drivers are reducing overall system performance.

Mind you, when you format and reinstall your OS, you will also have to reinstall all your apps, utilities etc. Including patch files. I hope that you haven't put everything into one big C drive. If you have, you will also need to back up all your data files, downloads and personal stuff.

If you are using one big C drive for everything, you may want to consider using Partition Magic to create seperate partitions for your apps and data files before you format and reinstall Windows. Move the data files to new partitons before you format and re-install.
November 16, 2006 1:31:17 AM

Thanks for reminding me... I need to re-format and re-install XP... Nah, maybe later.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2006 2:05:17 AM

Consider yourself lucky. Usually Windows will BSOD if you do too much to it. I swapped hard drives on a computer to recover stuff off of one with a bunked-up mobo and even though both were 865 chipsets, the second computer BSOD'ed on trying to boot the other computer's drive (I forgot to switch the stupid IDE jumpers and booted the wrong drive.)

Linux generally does better than Windows with a hardware transplant as it has just about all of the drivers you'd need baked into the kernel. I dunno how OS X would do, and I am pretty sure that it would do okay as there are not all that many pieces of hardware to support.
November 16, 2006 2:52:52 AM

You can do it flawlessly but it takes a lot of skill and you have to know what files to delete before you boot it up on the new machine ! You have to uninstall all your hardware and clean out the prefetch folder and scrub your registry of about 2-3 hundred hardware specific entries... (you think some one program a tool to do this automaticaly but I guess MS doesnt like the idea of some one moving an OS ? )

hmm you might run into activation problems but I dont know.

Edit: Upon booting in the new machine windows should detect all the hardware and you should be fine (I have done this a few times) but as everyone says a fresh install IS best ! The only times I have done this is when some ones computer died and they had specific needs to keep everything as it was for some odd reason.... I enjoy setting up on a fresh install :) 
November 16, 2006 5:14:38 AM

You are using the same mainboard chipest of manufacturer,so if u can use ur system smoothly,reinstall OS is not necessary.
reinstall won't take ur too much time if the question bother you :p 
November 16, 2006 6:01:33 AM

True, it's a bit of a hassle but I always do a reinstall when upgarding my rig. Just to be on the safe side. The only time I wouldn't do a full windows reinstall would be an CPU upgrade on the same mobo.
November 16, 2006 11:33:05 AM

Do a complete format...Experience has taught me that XP can cause problems with the slightest hardware change...I once tried to 'shortcut' with a re-install and as a previous post says and do a complete remove of hardware - all ok...scrub the reg...Managed to break kernel...Very badly. Won't do it again. If it's a hardware change I always recommend to re-install windows (nothing for RAM or peripheals, but for mobo, CPU, HDD, clean install)
November 17, 2006 1:03:28 PM

OK, similar question regarding migrating HDDs.

I'm building a new system, with new drives. Clean install, etc.

However, I'll be moving a HDD from an old system to the new one. In the old system one partition on it was the boot drive, it won't be in the new one. I want to preserve as many of the files on it as possible, and it will ultimately just be a data drive in the new system.

Do I need to change anything with regard to the boot partition while it's in the old system in some way BEFORE I pull it out to move to the new system? Or just pull, plug and pray?

Thanks!

The Gunny
November 17, 2006 1:41:07 PM

I pull boot drives from 1 machine to use as a data disk on another all the time. Just make sure the jumpers are not set for primary and you should be set.
November 17, 2006 2:01:19 PM

Hmmmm

This is a WinXP environment, and the disk will be on a separate (Promise) IDE controller. I expected the drive cabling to be Cable Select, so I'm not sure what 'jumpers' you're talking about...

The Gunny
November 20, 2006 4:28:05 PM

Quote:
I expected the drive cabling to be Cable Select

That would be the type of thing you need to check on your hardware.
!