Parallel hook up for Pixma 4000?

I just got a Pixma 4000 and wonder if there are
any specific issues with using a parallel hookup
to the computer instead of using USB. The HP 970
apparently had a driver problem as their was a
definite difference, slow on parallel, but part of
toolbox disappeared with USB.

It is installed with USB, bu I just don't see
paying $8 for a USB cord when I have several
parallel cords and an empty parallel socket on my
computer.
21 answers Last reply
More about parallel hook pixma 4000

    > It is installed with USB, bu I just don't see
    > paying $8 for a USB cord when I have several
    > parallel cords and an empty parallel socket on my
    >computer.

    I've been spending $5.00 each for my USB cables... local biglots store.
    That is if my other equipment doesn't come with a USB cable that I
    didn't use. In the past when i've absolutely needed a USB cable and
    the only option was a big retail store, I ended up buying other
    equipment like a low end card reader which came with a A to B usb
    cable.

    I can only think of a two reasons to do what you are asking.

    1. You lack or don't have enough USB ports You don't want to open
    your PC to add more.
    2. The USB ports you have are of an older type that windows can't use
    as is the case with some pentium machines... circa 1997 or so, and they
    just don't work.

    I can think of a few reasons to go USB.
    1. The cable is a good deal smaller
    2. Generally it is much faster, even in 1999 when the printer port
    speed was technicaly higher than USB, I observed a PPM benifit on USB.
    Current USB speeds are much higher.
    3. You can disable those legacy ports all together
    4. Chances are the parallel to usb adapter will cost more than just a
    sub $10.00 cable.
    5. They don't always work perfectly. Parallel is a flacky technology
    when talking bi-directional communications. Chances are it will work
    well enough to print.
    6. Parallel isn't hotswapable. You "can" do it, but it is possible to
    short out that port if you are not careful hot swapping, the port was
    dumb enough to deal with equipment disapearing and reapearing without
    blinking an eye.

    I do understand where you are comming from. The cost of USB cables is
    very annoying and they don't typicaly come with printers, where they do
    come with cable and dsl modems. Retail stores see these things as a
    means to profit from loss leader products like printers.

    I spent a good deal of money on parallel cables in the past, even a
    couple of extra length with the go faster gold contacts, not that i
    needed gold it was just the only option at that store for extra long
    cables. But going with a parallel to usb adapter won't make any of
    your old cords useful as the standard cable on the pc was a 25pin male
    to 36pin centronic, where these parallel to usb adpters are likely
    going to be just a small box that attaches to the printer port with a
    little usb cable comming out the end. The only "cord" I can think of
    that would be useful would be a 25pin m to 25p f, but most of those
    were designated big arse modem cables and sometimes all the wires are
    not connected.

    But hey... if you can find a parallel to usb adapter for less money
    than a simple usb cable.... more power too you. It should work. As we
    are dealing with a regular printer with little communication to the PC
    other than error messages from time to time you should enjoy long life.

    "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I just got a Pixma 4000 and wonder if there are any specific issues with
    >using a parallel hookup to the computer instead of using USB. The HP 970
    >apparently had a driver problem as their was a definite difference, slow on
    >parallel, but part of toolbox disappeared with USB.
    >
    > It is installed with USB, bu I just don't see paying $8 for a USB cord
    > when I have several parallel cords and an empty parallel socket on my
    > computer.

    there are no problems with parallel.

    George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > I just got a Pixma 4000 and wonder if there are any specific issues
    > with using a parallel hookup to the computer instead of using USB.
    > The HP 970 apparently had a driver problem as their was a definite
    > difference, slow on parallel, but part of toolbox disappeared with USB.
    >
    > It is installed with USB, bu I just don't see paying $8 for a USB cord
    > when I have several parallel cords and an empty parallel socket on my
    > computer.

    NOW THIS TAKES THE CAKE. GO USE AFTERMARKET INKS AND CLOG YOUR PRINTER
    AND YOU CAN SAVE A FEW CENTS. GO BUY A CHEAP USB CABLE FOR $2.00.

    YOU HAVE THE MENTALITY AND I FORMALLY NOMINATE YOU FOR THE AFTERMARKET
    CHURCH MEMBERSHIP OF THE CHURCH OF THE AFTERMARKET INKIE STINKIES.

    > Whoa, I don't need a parallelt to usb adapter,
    >Parallel on the computer and on the printer.

    Thought we were talking the pixma ip4000 here. I have the ip3000 I
    don't have a parallell port on it. I could be confused on this
    issue... so do correct me if i'm wrong. I know it's listed as having
    the option for a parallel port but I don't think I met one which had
    one. I thought this was an option offered by canon in the form of a
    USB print adapter.

    > I'm no expert but never saw a problem at home or
    > at work using parallel ports

    Printers... not usually a problem.
    Scaners... I've seen lots and lots of problems.

    > They come with HP printers.

    The last HP printer I bought didn't come with a cable, nor the one
    before that. From my understanding this is a vender choice.

    Mike wrote:
    > "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I just got a Pixma 4000 and wonder if there are any specific issues with
    >>using a parallel hookup to the computer instead of using USB. The HP 970
    >>apparently had a driver problem as their was a definite difference, slow on
    >>parallel, but part of toolbox disappeared with USB.
    >>
    >>It is installed with USB, bu I just don't see paying $8 for a USB cord
    >>when I have several parallel cords and an empty parallel socket on my
    >>computer.
    >

    > there are no problems with parallel.

    Thanks.

    measekite wrote:

    > George E. Cawthon wrote:
    >
    >> I just got a Pixma 4000 and wonder if there are any specific issues
    >> with using a parallel hookup to the computer instead of using USB.
    >> The HP 970 apparently had a driver problem as their was a definite
    >> difference, slow on parallel, but part of toolbox disappeared with USB.
    >>
    >> It is installed with USB, bu I just don't see paying $8 for a USB cord
    >> when I have several parallel cords and an empty parallel socket on my
    >> computer.
    >

    > NOW THIS TAKES THE CAKE. GO USE AFTERMARKET INKS AND CLOG YOUR PRINTER
    > AND YOU CAN SAVE A FEW CENTS. GO BUY A CHEAP USB CABLE FOR $2.00.
    >
    > YOU HAVE THE MENTALITY AND I FORMALLY NOMINATE YOU FOR THE AFTERMARKET
    > CHURCH MEMBERSHIP OF THE CHURCH OF THE AFTERMARKET INKIE STINKIES.

    Thanks, now tell me what local store sells a 6'
    USB for $2.00. Hell, the cheapest I found over
    the internet was $2.95 but with $6 shipping that's
    more than $8.

    "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I just got a Pixma 4000 and wonder if there are any specific issues with
    >using a parallel hookup to the computer instead of using USB. The HP 970
    >apparently had a driver problem as their was a definite difference, slow on
    >parallel, but part of toolbox disappeared with USB.
    >
    > It is installed with USB, bu I just don't see paying $8 for a USB cord
    > when I have several parallel cords and an empty parallel socket on my
    > computer.

    $8? You are shopping in the wrong place! You can get them for AU$4 at Dick
    Smith.

    Caitlin wrote:
    > "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I just got a Pixma 4000 and wonder if there are any specific issues with
    >>using a parallel hookup to the computer instead of using USB. The HP 970
    >>apparently had a driver problem as their was a definite difference, slow on
    >>parallel, but part of toolbox disappeared with USB.
    >>
    >>It is installed with USB, bu I just don't see paying $8 for a USB cord
    >>when I have several parallel cords and an empty parallel socket on my
    >>computer.
    >

    > $8? You are shopping in the wrong place! You can get them for AU$4 at Dick
    > Smith.

    Ah, but the question is are there any parallel
    hook up issues!
    AU$4, don't know how much that is, but the
    cheapest price for 6' cables was $7.97 (U.S.)
    from Walmart. Course I can get one cheaper over
    the internet but pay $5-$8 for shipping.

    If you have a Sam's Club near, a 3 pack is listed at $7.48. Costco would
    probably be in that same range.
    This place has them for $1.50 w/free shipping.
    http://www.pcmicrostore.com//PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10502945
    --
    Ron

    drc023 wrote:

    >If you have a Sam's Club near, a 3 pack is listed at $7.48. Costco would
    >probably be in that same range.
    >This place has them for $1.50 w/free shipping.
    >http://www.pcmicrostore.com//PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10502945

    THE GUY LIKE TO JERK HIMSELF OFF

    > The fact is my 4000 has both the USB and parallel connection.

    My mistake, wasn't aware that there was a modern printer with a
    parallel port conection. while you might enjoy higher speeds from the
    usb port, go for it... be happy. Clearly I was confused on the issue
    burning my ip3000 upside down trying to find that legacy port.

    > I don't see how it is a vendor choice, since the boxes come from the factory.

    I know for a fact my HP PSC 950 came with no cable, neither did my old
    DJ 800 series, nor DJ 900 series, nor a recently purchaced LJ 1012.
    But I had a sister who bought a printer at costco some years back...
    900 series black lid... came with a nice cable.

    The boxes may come from the factory, but they typicaly go to venders
    who order them. Now I have heard of printers comming with cables from
    costco from time to time but I don't know of any printer sold in the
    past 5 years at your usual store, bestbuy compusa office max/depot
    staples that came with either a parallel cable nor usb cable. Most
    venders prefer to offer printers without cables so to sell you one at 4
    times the price.

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>It is installed with USB, bu I just don't see
    >>paying $8 for a USB cord when I have several
    >>parallel cords and an empty parallel socket on my
    >>computer.
    >

    > I've been spending $5.00 each for my USB cables... local biglots store.
    > That is if my other equipment doesn't come with a USB cable that I
    > didn't use. In the past when i've absolutely needed a USB cable and
    > the only option was a big retail store, I ended up buying other
    > equipment like a low end card reader which came with a A to B usb
    > cable.
    Thanks, we have a Biglots so I'll check there.
    Don't need a card reader but that's a good
    suggestion too.

    > I can only think of a two reasons to do what you are asking.
    >
    > 1. You lack or don't have enough USB ports You don't want to open
    > your PC to add more.

    Got an open USB port
    > 2. The USB ports you have are of an older type that windows can't use
    > as is the case with some pentium machines... circa 1997 or so, and they
    > just don't work.

    Nope and am running XP

    > I can think of a few reasons to go USB.
    > 1. The cable is a good deal smaller
    True
    > 2. Generally it is much faster, even in 1999 when the printer port
    > speed was technicaly higher than USB, I observed a PPM benifit on USB.
    True
    > Current USB speeds are much higher.
    > 3. You can disable those legacy ports all together
    > 4. Chances are the parallel to usb adapter will cost more than just a
    > sub $10.00 cable.
    Whoa, I don't need a parallelt to usb adapter,
    Parallel on the computer and on the printer.

    > 5. They don't always work perfectly. Parallel is a flacky technology
    > when talking bi-directional communications. Chances are it will work
    > well enough to print.
    I'm no expert but never saw a problem at home or
    at work using parallel ports

    > 6. Parallel isn't hotswapable. You "can" do it, but it is possible to
    > short out that port if you are not careful hot swapping, the port was
    > dumb enough to deal with equipment disapearing and reapearing without
    > blinking an eye.
    True

    > I do understand where you are comming from. The cost of USB cables is
    > very annoying and they don't typicaly come with printers, where they do
    > come with cable and dsl modems. Retail stores see these things as a
    > means to profit from loss leader products like printers.

    They come with HP printers.

    > I spent a good deal of money on parallel cables in the past, even a
    > couple of extra length with the go faster gold contacts, not that i
    > needed gold it was just the only option at that store for extra long
    > cables. But going with a parallel to usb adapter won't make any of
    > your old cords useful as the standard cable on the pc was a 25pin male
    > to 36pin centronic, where these parallel to usb adpters are likely
    > going to be just a small box that attaches to the printer port with a
    > little usb cable comming out the end. The only "cord" I can think of
    > that would be useful would be a 25pin m to 25p f, but most of those
    > were designated big arse modem cables and sometimes all the wires are
    > not connected.

    My cords are standard IEEE 1284 cords 25 pin and
    36 pin ends.

    > But hey... if you can find a parallel to usb adapter for less money
    > than a simple usb cable.... more power too you. It should work. As we
    > are dealing with a regular printer with little communication to the PC
    > other than error messages from time to time you should enjoy long life.

    Don't need no stinkin' adapters. But thanks for
    the last. The HP970 talks a lot, maybe that is
    why there were problems, but I think it really was
    mostly the printer driver.

    Thanks for the discussion.

    drc023 wrote:
    > If you have a Sam's Club near, a 3 pack is listed at $7.48. Costco would
    > probably be in that same range.
    > This place has them for $1.50 w/free shipping.
    > http://www.pcmicrostore.com//PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10502945
    Bo Sams Club. Costco no longer handles any
    cables, at least in our location. Standard rule
    at Costco, if you are ever going to need it, get
    it now before they discontinue it. And yes, cords
    from Costco were a lot cheaper.

    I'm struggling to remember specificly what all i've owned. I think the
    first one worth speaking of would be the 870Cxi... no cord at all...
    but at "goodguys". It was sort of that last printer before the more
    spiffy ones came out with better dithering. This had to have been pre
    1997. HP Deskjet 960c (can't remember if it was the 960... I seem to
    remember consumer inkjet, smoke transparent lid, and with a color cart
    that didn't work at all for the 870Cxi, but did accept the color card
    from the 870Cxi). from costco... with a cord. PSC 950 from Compusa
    circa 2001 or so... no cord. 2005 three LJ1012... none of them had
    cords from Staples.

    While I'm totally willing to believe you can get printers with
    cords.... I've simply not seen it except at costco. The last printer I
    bought at office depot was an epson r200, circa late 2004 and well, no
    cord, after that the ip3000 and mp760 from newegg a few months ago, no
    cord no cord.

    It didn't bother me all that much as all the DSL modems I recieved have
    included a usb cord, which considering I hook my modem into my hub I
    had no use for it... except for the PSC which simply didn't have a
    parallel port. Now that I have more printers i've needed to buy more
    usb cables.

    But I can say with absolute certainty... from the Star NX-1000 color
    dot matrix to the more modern mp760... I have never in my life bought a
    new printer since 1987 that ever came with the cable. I've heard of it
    happening, but never to me.

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>Whoa, I don't need a parallelt to usb adapter,
    >>Parallel on the computer and on the printer.
    >

    > Thought we were talking the pixma ip4000 here. I have the ip3000 I
    > don't have a parallell port on it. I could be confused on this
    > issue... so do correct me if i'm wrong. I know it's listed as having
    > the option for a parallel port but I don't think I met one which had
    > one. I thought this was an option offered by canon in the form of a
    > USB print adapter.
    >

    >>I'm no expert but never saw a problem at home or
    >>at work using parallel ports
    >

    > Printers... not usually a problem.
    > Scaners... I've seen lots and lots of problems.
    >

    >>They come with HP printers.
    >

    > The last HP printer I bought didn't come with a cable, nor the one
    > before that. From my understanding this is a vender choice.

    The 3000 and 4000 manual are combined in one. The
    manual shows that the 3000 has just the USB, the
    4000 has both a USB and a parallel connection.
    That's the manual. The quick set up page shows
    there is a choice of connection--USB and Parallel
    for the 4000. The fact is my 4000 has both the
    USB and parallel connection.

    I don't see how it is a vendor choice, since the
    boxes come from the factory. My two HP's came
    with parallel cords. Every box of HP printer I
    have looked at lists a cord as one of the
    contents. Maybe I only look at the cxi ones, but
    I don't think so.

    Who cares. If you cannot afford a cable then you cannot afford the printer.

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>The fact is my 4000 has both the USB and parallel connection.
    >

    > My mistake, wasn't aware that there was a modern printer with a
    > parallel port conection. while you might enjoy higher speeds from the
    > usb port, go for it... be happy. Clearly I was confused on the issue
    > burning my ip3000 upside down trying to find that legacy port.
    >

    >>I don't see how it is a vendor choice, since the boxes come from the factory.
    >

    > I know for a fact my HP PSC 950 came with no cable, neither did my old
    > DJ 800 series, nor DJ 900 series, nor a recently purchaced LJ 1012.
    > But I had a sister who bought a printer at costco some years back...
    > 900 series black lid... came with a nice cable.
    >
    > The boxes may come from the factory, but they typicaly go to venders
    > who order them. Now I have heard of printers comming with cables from
    > costco from time to time but I don't know of any printer sold in the
    > past 5 years at your usual store, bestbuy compusa office max/depot
    > staples that came with either a parallel cable nor usb cable. Most
    > venders prefer to offer printers without cables so to sell you one at 4
    > times the price.

    Well my 4L came with a cord and I bought it at
    Office Depot. My 970 was bought at Costco and it
    was a cxi (the commercial version) and I've seen
    several others labeled cxi as opposed to the Cse
    (standard version). The difference was discussed
    at lenght a few years back, but HP pointed out
    that the only difference was the bundled software,
    but maybe the cord inclusion was another
    difference. BTW, every printer purchased at my
    former employment (all HP's) came with all the
    cords, but I have been retired nearly 8 years so
    don't know about larger numbers in recent years.

    drc023 wrote:
    > If you have a Sam's Club near, a 3 pack is listed at $7.48. Costco would
    > probably be in that same range.
    > This place has them for $1.50 w/free shipping.
    > http://www.pcmicrostore.com//PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10502945

    Sorry I missed your site reference. Went there
    and ordered 4 cords so I won't be in this position
    again, and free shipping is unheard of. I would
    never have found the cords on the site without
    your help. Thanks.

    >I stopped by Costco today
    > and looked at the printers and printer/scanner
    > combinations. Every, and I mean every, HP unit
    > says that a USB cable is included. Is that HP or
    > is that Costco?

    As I said, in the past i'm told it's vender choice... and that costco
    typicaly has printers with cables.

    Here is a brief lowdown of what I actually saw... note I have noted
    printers at compusa that do some with cables, much to my shock..

    Photosmart 8150xi @ Costco *cable*
    PhotoSmart 8150 @ compusa *no cable*
    DeskJet 6840xi @ Costco *cable* ethernet & usb
    DeskJet 6840i @ compusa *no usb* *ethernet cable yes*
    PSC1610xi@costco *cable*
    PSC 1610 @ compusa *cable*

    PSC 1315 @ compusa *no cable*
    PSC 2175 @ compusa *no cable*
    PSC 2410 @ compusa *cable*

    zakezuke wrote:
    > I'm struggling to remember specificly what all i've owned. I think the
    > first one worth speaking of would be the 870Cxi... no cord at all...
    > but at "goodguys". It was sort of that last printer before the more
    > spiffy ones came out with better dithering. This had to have been pre
    > 1997. HP Deskjet 960c (can't remember if it was the 960... I seem to
    > remember consumer inkjet, smoke transparent lid, and with a color cart
    > that didn't work at all for the 870Cxi, but did accept the color card
    > from the 870Cxi). from costco... with a cord. PSC 950 from Compusa
    > circa 2001 or so... no cord. 2005 three LJ1012... none of them had
    > cords from Staples.
    >
    > While I'm totally willing to believe you can get printers with
    > cords.... I've simply not seen it except at costco. The last printer I
    > bought at office depot was an epson r200, circa late 2004 and well, no
    > cord, after that the ip3000 and mp760 from newegg a few months ago, no
    > cord no cord.
    >
    > It didn't bother me all that much as all the DSL modems I recieved have
    > included a usb cord, which considering I hook my modem into my hub I
    > had no use for it... except for the PSC which simply didn't have a
    > parallel port. Now that I have more printers i've needed to buy more
    > usb cables.
    >
    > But I can say with absolute certainty... from the Star NX-1000 color
    > dot matrix to the more modern mp760... I have never in my life bought a
    > new printer since 1987 that ever came with the cable. I've heard of it
    > happening, but never to me.

    Just as an added note. I stopped by Costco today
    and looked at the printers and printer/scanner
    combinations. Every, and I mean every, HP unit
    says that a USB cable is included. Is that HP or
    is that Costco? I don't know, but I strongly
    suspect it is USB since the box contents says HP
    USB cable.

    I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GOOD TIME JERKING THEM ALL OFF

    George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > zakezuke wrote:
    >
    >> I'm struggling to remember specificly what all i've owned. I think the
    >> first one worth speaking of would be the 870Cxi... no cord at all...
    >> but at "goodguys". It was sort of that last printer before the more
    >> spiffy ones came out with better dithering. This had to have been pre
    >> 1997. HP Deskjet 960c (can't remember if it was the 960... I seem to
    >> remember consumer inkjet, smoke transparent lid, and with a color cart
    >> that didn't work at all for the 870Cxi, but did accept the color card
    >> from the 870Cxi). from costco... with a cord. PSC 950 from Compusa
    >> circa 2001 or so... no cord. 2005 three LJ1012... none of them had
    >> cords from Staples.
    >>
    >> While I'm totally willing to believe you can get printers with
    >> cords.... I've simply not seen it except at costco. The last printer I
    >> bought at office depot was an epson r200, circa late 2004 and well, no
    >> cord, after that the ip3000 and mp760 from newegg a few months ago, no
    >> cord no cord.
    >>
    >> It didn't bother me all that much as all the DSL modems I recieved have
    >> included a usb cord, which considering I hook my modem into my hub I
    >> had no use for it... except for the PSC which simply didn't have a
    >> parallel port. Now that I have more printers i've needed to buy more
    >> usb cables.
    >>
    >> But I can say with absolute certainty... from the Star NX-1000 color
    >> dot matrix to the more modern mp760... I have never in my life bought a
    >> new printer since 1987 that ever came with the cable. I've heard of it
    >> happening, but never to me.
    >>

    > Just as an added note. I stopped by Costco today and looked at the
    > printers and printer/scanner combinations. Every, and I mean every,
    > HP unit says that a USB cable is included. Is that HP or is that
    > Costco? I don't know, but I strongly suspect it is USB since the box
    > contents says HP USB cable.

Printers Pixma Computer USB Peripherals