Media Player on Pocket PC

January 9, 2005 4:48:37 PM

Thanks for your help!

I am having no luck getting Windows Media Player 9 to run the files
converted and moved from my PC.

I can't launch the files from my Pocket PC File Explorer because it
complains that there is no file association for the files that I'm trying to
launch. But, when I tried renaming the files as .mpg, .mp3 and .wav it did
not work.

The help documentation says to use Media Player to move the files from my PC
so to avoid piracy protection problems. But I can't see how to move files
from my PC to my Pocket PC with Media Player on my PC, because the 'save as'
diaglog box can't see my pocket PC.

I must be missing something simple.

Thanks again...

More about : media player pocket

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:50:58 PM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:48:37 -0800, <none> wrote:

>Thanks for your help!
>
>I am having no luck getting Windows Media Player 9 to run the files
>converted and moved from my PC.
>
>I can't launch the files from my Pocket PC File Explorer because it
>complains that there is no file association for the files that I'm trying to
>launch. But, when I tried renaming the files as .mpg, .mp3 and .wav it did
>not work.

You can't just rename the files and hope for the best, in the same way
you can't rename a JPEG image to .doc and hope Word will open it. BTW,
built in Media Player on PPC doesn't play .wav file format, only .wma
and .mp3 files are supported.

>The help documentation says to use Media Player to move the files from my PC
>so to avoid piracy protection problems. But I can't see how to move files
>from my PC to my Pocket PC with Media Player on my PC, because the 'save as'
>diaglog box can't see my pocket PC.

No, it's not 'Save As' - look at the 'Sync' button - ever wonder what
it's for ? Thats the one to use ;-)) Take a look at media player's
help files for more clues.

>I must be missing something simple.
>
>Thanks again...

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:31:28 AM

Neil, you seem to assume that everyone has upgraded to MP10 :)  In older
versions of Media Player you are looking for the tab that says Copy to CD or
Device. The Device being your PPC. You will still need to be connected via
AS, but on the right there will be a dropdown selection box that you should
be able to recognize your PPC and it's memory and memory cards in it.
Unfortunately, if you are using MP9 on the PC and PPC, or even MP10 on the
PC and 9 on the PPC, you are going to have trouble with DRM protected files
going onto the storage card. Regular files or ones you ripped yourself
should be fine though.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:48:37 -0800, <none> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for your help!
> >
> >I am having no luck getting Windows Media Player 9 to run the files
> >converted and moved from my PC.
> >
> >I can't launch the files from my Pocket PC File Explorer because it
> >complains that there is no file association for the files that I'm trying
> >launch. But, when I tried renaming the files as .mpg, .mp3 and .wav it
did
> >not work.
>
> You can't just rename the files and hope for the best, in the same way
> you can't rename a JPEG image to .doc and hope Word will open it. BTW,
> built in Media Player on PPC doesn't play .wav file format, only .wma
> and .mp3 files are supported.
>
> >The help documentation says to use Media Player to move the files from my
PC
> >so to avoid piracy protection problems. But I can't see how to move files
> >from my PC to my Pocket PC with Media Player on my PC, because the 'save
as'
> >diaglog box can't see my pocket PC.
>
> No, it's not 'Save As' - look at the 'Sync' button - ever wonder what
> it's for ? Thats the one to use ;-)) Take a look at media player's
> help files for more clues.
>
> >I must be missing something simple.
> >
> >Thanks again...

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:33:41 AM

Yes, sorry (I don't usually use it as I have Win2000 here mainly, but
most people here seem to post using XP these days. It was a slow day
(mentally) yesterday too ;-)

OK for WMP9, File->Copy and then choose Copy to Portable Device to
bring up the same screen. Choose items to copy then press the red
'Copy' button on the right hand side, in the top black bar.

Cheers - Neil

!