paulypaul

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying a new HD (raptor) to get some more storage space in my computer as its gettin crampped (over 60% used/ 160gb).

My issue is adding in a new HD to the mix. I am going to sweep the current HD clean and when/if I do get the 10k Raptor I want to install OS and games on there while keeping music and misc programs on 160Gb drive.

My question to everyone is will i see a big difference in load times ect and would this setup work?? I am 99% sure it would work but wanted to see if others had a similar setup.

Thanks

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey Pauly,
Chuckie is right ...it won't be like a NIGHT N DAY kinda thing, but you WILL notice that your programs will operate a lil snappier, and boot up will be a bit quikcer, but that will depend on what you have in your startup items.

I have a 74.3 gig Raptor and I don't know about anyone else but I DO notice a diff in how my rig runs with my OS as my C drive. I put all my games, MP3's and other stuff on my Maxtor SATA II 250 so I can keep my Raptor just for OS stuff.

As for the big question.....Is it worth you spending a lil extra of your hard earned MOOLAHH??? I would recommend you checkin out a friend that HAS one, and see for yourself. There have been alot of similar threads like this one asking the same question. Some peeps reply "Don't waste your money", others say its a great drive..like I do :) .
Tell ya what. ask yourself this question...If you want a fast 10K hdd as opposed to the 7200 's, go with the WD raptor. The Seagate 7200.10 however, has been said to almost equal the raptor's speed n performance. So take a look at those hdds as well.
As for me.. If I had a few extra bucks to spend, did not want to #*(*@)# around with tweaks n stuff, wanted a reliable awsome drive....so I went out and bought a WD raptor.. End of story.

Google both drives to see whats being said about em.

Go to the hardware review sections and read up on em...that will help.
Thats my 2 cents

Antec P180 PerformanceSeries
SeaSonic S12 600 PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI X-16 S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
AMD 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Optimizer)
2 gigs Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 gig HDD / XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500watts

paulypaul

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Thanks a bunch guys....I am going to look around for some benchies and such so I can check out witch 7200 to get.

Thanks again yall