Good starters laser printer suggestions please

I almost took a deal for a used hp laserjet 1000 today, for a small $50CAN,
no toner inside. to me this is a good deal, for a good printer that meets my
needs (I only need text printing)... plus toners are relatively cheap and
last long.

that deal did not work in the end, so I'm looking for other suggestions in
similar price range. this is for roughly 50-100 pages a month. and we're
basically talking prints of stamp album pages, meaning pages with maybe
10-20 little squares on them, and a few words inbetween.

anyone please? thank you.

please remove obvious before emailing me.
12 answers Last reply
More about good starters laser printer suggestions please

    tiktak <hikoryERASETHISPART@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I almost took a deal for a used hp laserjet 1000 today, for a small $50CAN,
    > no toner inside. to me this is a good deal, for a good printer that meets my
    > needs (I only need text printing)... plus toners are relatively cheap and
    > last long.
    >
    > that deal did not work in the end, so I'm looking for other suggestions in
    > similar price range. this is for roughly 50-100 pages a month. and we're
    > basically talking prints of stamp album pages, meaning pages with maybe
    > 10-20 little squares on them, and a few words inbetween.

    Any laser ought to be able to handle such a light job.

    Ones to avoid: poor paper feeds (HP LaserJet 5L, 6L, the LJ1000 also).

    The other kind to avoid are Winprinters. These are printers that are so
    cost-reduced they have almost no onboard brains, and the rendering is
    done on the host computer. These can often be identified by a model
    number ending in a "W".

    Having said that, even a top-feeding Winprinter is probably up to the
    job you've described.

    "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message
    > tiktak <hikoryERASETHISPART@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I almost took a deal for a used hp laserjet 1000 today, for a small
    >> $50CAN,
    >> no toner inside. to me this is a good deal, for a good printer that meets
    >> my
    >> needs (I only need text printing)... plus toners are relatively cheap and
    >> last long.
    >>
    >> that deal did not work in the end, so I'm looking for other suggestions
    >> in
    >> similar price range. this is for roughly 50-100 pages a month. and
    >> we're
    >> basically talking prints of stamp album pages, meaning pages with maybe
    >> 10-20 little squares on them, and a few words inbetween.
    >
    > Any laser ought to be able to handle such a light job.
    >
    > Ones to avoid: poor paper feeds (HP LaserJet 5L, 6L, the LJ1000 also).
    >
    > The other kind to avoid are Winprinters. These are printers that are so
    > cost-reduced they have almost no onboard brains, and the rendering is
    > done on the host computer. These can often be identified by a model
    > number ending in a "W".
    >
    > Having said that, even a top-feeding Winprinter is probably up to the
    > job you've described.
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    Is there anything terribly wrong with the Samsung ML-2010 printer. I
    desperately need a printer asap, and a deal just came along... I think the
    lady wants 110$CAN (90US or so) for a brand new never used printer with
    starter toner inside (good for 1000 pages not the 3000 you get on regular
    toner for this printer).

    I think I'll give it a go until I hear something bad from the experts here.

    thank you.

    Warren Block wrote:
    > tiktak <hikoryERASETHISPART@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I almost took a deal for a used hp laserjet 1000 today, for a small $50CAN,
    >>no toner inside. to me this is a good deal, for a good printer that meets my
    >>needs (I only need text printing)... plus toners are relatively cheap and
    >>last long.
    >>
    >>that deal did not work in the end, so I'm looking for other suggestions in
    >>similar price range. this is for roughly 50-100 pages a month. and we're
    >>basically talking prints of stamp album pages, meaning pages with maybe
    >>10-20 little squares on them, and a few words inbetween.
    >

    > Any laser ought to be able to handle such a light job.
    >
    > Ones to avoid: poor paper feeds (HP LaserJet 5L, 6L, the LJ1000 also).
    >
    > The other kind to avoid are Winprinters. These are printers that are so
    > cost-reduced they have almost no onboard brains, and the rendering is
    > done on the host computer. These can often be identified by a model
    > number ending in a "W".
    >
    > Having said that, even a top-feeding Winprinter is probably up to the
    > job you've described.

    < The other kind to avoid are Winprinters. These are printers that are
    so cost-reduced they have almost no onboard brains, and the rendering is
    done on the host computer. >

    Why do laser printers have different (higher) standard than inkjets? :)

    l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
    > Warren Block wrote:
    >
    >< The other kind to avoid are Winprinters. These are printers that are
    > so cost-reduced they have almost no onboard brains, and the rendering is
    > done on the host computer. >
    >
    > Why do laser printers have different (higher) standard than inkjets? :)

    Because lasers are seen as a serious thing, but inkjets are mostly for
    printing pictures of pets and ugly relatives? Or relatives and ugly
    pets, I always get those mixed up.

    >l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
    >> Warren Block wrote:
    >>
    >>< The other kind to avoid are Winprinters. These are printers that are
    >> so cost-reduced they have almost no onboard brains, and the rendering is
    >> done on the host computer. >
    >>
    >> Why do laser printers have different (higher) standard than inkjets? :)
    >
    > Because lasers are seen as a serious thing, but inkjets are mostly for
    > printing pictures of pets and ugly relatives? Or relatives and ugly
    > pets, I always get those mixed up.

    .... its pets and ugly relatives, you had it right first time.

    thank you for answering my initial query.

    maybe I'll come back to this thread with a specific model before buying,
    just to make sure I get it right.

    regards.

    tiktak <hikoryERASETHISPART@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Is there anything terribly wrong with the Samsung ML-2010 printer. I
    > desperately need a printer asap, and a deal just came along... I think the
    > lady wants 110$CAN (90US or so) for a brand new never used printer with
    > starter toner inside (good for 1000 pages not the 3000 you get on regular
    > toner for this printer).

    Price might be a little high. J&R Music World says they have it for $99
    new. It's a Winprinter. But it'll probably serve.

    The initial cost is often misleading. Be sure to factor in replacement
    consumables. I don't know about the Samsung printer you describe, but it
    would be a good idea to check out the cost of replacement toner cartridges.
    The purchase price sounds reasonable.
    --
    Ron

    "drc023" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
    > The initial cost is often misleading. Be sure to factor in replacement
    > consumables. I don't know about the Samsung printer you describe, but it
    > would be a good idea to check out the cost of replacement toner
    > cartridges. The purchase price sounds reasonable.
    > --
    > Ron
    >
    > "tiktak" <hikoryERASETHISPART@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message

    >>> Any laser ought to be able to handle such a light job.
    >>>
    >>> Ones to avoid: poor paper feeds (HP LaserJet 5L, 6L, the LJ1000 also).
    >>>
    >>> The other kind to avoid are Winprinters. These are printers that are so
    >>> cost-reduced they have almost no onboard brains, and the rendering is
    >>> done on the host computer. These can often be identified by a model
    >>> number ending in a "W".
    >>>
    >>> Having said that, even a top-feeding Winprinter is probably up to the
    >>> job you've described.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA
    >>

    >> Is there anything terribly wrong with the Samsung ML-2010 printer. I
    >> desperately need a printer asap, and a deal just came along... I think
    >> the lady wants 110$CAN (90US or so) for a brand new never used printer
    >> with starter toner inside (good for 1000 pages not the 3000 you get on
    >> regular toner for this printer).
    >>
    >> I think I'll give it a go until I hear something bad from the experts
    >> here.
    >>
    >> thank you.

    thank you.
    I think the fact alone that samsung put in a starter toner that prints 1/3
    of what you get on regular toners afterwards (so 1000 pages vs 3000 pages or
    so) is already a bad sign. thats being cheap I think. I don't know if
    samsung does it for other models they sell, possibly for the lower priced
    ones yes, but in any case, I think replacement toners for this printer
    around 80-100$US as far as I saw recently.

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:10:29 -0400, "tiktak"
    <hikoryERASETHISPART@gmail.com> wrote:

    >thank you.
    >I think the fact alone that samsung put in a starter toner that prints 1/3
    >of what you get on regular toners afterwards (so 1000 pages vs 3000 pages or
    >so) is already a bad sign. thats being cheap I think. I don't know if
    >samsung does it for other models they sell, possibly for the lower priced
    >ones yes, but in any case, I think replacement toners for this printer
    >around 80-100$US as far as I saw recently.

    If it's any help, we've used Samsung lasers and they've always been
    reliable.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message
    > tiktak <hikoryERASETHISPART@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I almost took a deal for a used hp laserjet 1000 today, for a small
    >> $50CAN,
    >> no toner inside. to me this is a good deal, for a good printer that meets
    >> my
    >> needs (I only need text printing)... plus toners are relatively cheap and
    >> last long.
    >>
    >> that deal did not work in the end, so I'm looking for other suggestions
    >> in
    >> similar price range. this is for roughly 50-100 pages a month. and
    >> we're
    >> basically talking prints of stamp album pages, meaning pages with maybe
    >> 10-20 little squares on them, and a few words inbetween.
    >
    > Any laser ought to be able to handle such a light job.
    >
    > Ones to avoid: poor paper feeds (HP LaserJet 5L, 6L, the LJ1000 also).
    >
    > The other kind to avoid are Winprinters. These are printers that are so
    > cost-reduced they have almost no onboard brains, and the rendering is
    > done on the host computer. These can often be identified by a model
    > number ending in a "W".
    >
    > Having said that, even a top-feeding Winprinter is probably up to the
    > job you've described.
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    Hello Sir, folks...

    suppose someone is selling an old but fully functional (I have seen it
    function) HP IIp laser printer...at 4ppm I think... which is enough for me..
    and toners at decent price too, good for 3000-5000 pages or so (Drum on
    toner, which I assume is also not very common but very useful and saves
    money in long run)... all this for a give away $20US. no toner included.

    I mean regardless of the price, though my budget is limited... is this
    thing even worth bothering with or am I just gonna pile up junk in my house
    with it?

    kind regards.

    tiktak <hikoryERASETHISPART@gmail.com> wrote:

    > suppose someone is selling an old but fully functional (I have seen it
    > function) HP IIp laser printer...at 4ppm I think... which is enough for me..
    > and toners at decent price too, good for 3000-5000 pages or so (Drum on
    > toner, which I assume is also not very common but very useful and saves
    > money in long run)... all this for a give away $20US. no toner included.
    >
    > I mean regardless of the price, though my budget is limited... is this
    > thing even worth bothering with or am I just gonna pile up junk in my house
    > with it?

    That brings back memories. Putting it kindly, it's not a fast printer.
    AFAIR, It didn't come with enough memory to print a full-page bitmap,
    which is a problem with newer operating systems that want to render the
    whole page themselves.

    $20 with toner and extra memory might not be a bad deal. Without...

    A $50 Winprinter is likely to be more functional.

    Also - no straight paper path which means that envelopes get "munched" and
    heavier stock won't feed as well. I had one and it was a really good
    printer in its day. I now have an HP laserjet5p which prints a little bit
    faster, prints fonts with much finer lines and detail, and has two ways for
    the paper to exit after printing, one of which is a straight paper path from
    the fold-down top feed tray. It has worked flawlessly for around 8 years.
    I'd rather have this one than the IIP if one is available.

    > tiktak <hikoryERASETHISPART@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> suppose someone is selling an old but fully functional (I have seen it
    >> function) HP IIp laser printer...at 4ppm I think... which is enough for
    >> me..
    >> and toners at decent price too, good for 3000-5000 pages or so (Drum on
    >> toner, which I assume is also not very common but very useful and saves
    >> money in long run)... all this for a give away $20US. no toner included.
    >>
    >> I mean regardless of the price, though my budget is limited... is this
    >> thing even worth bothering with or am I just gonna pile up junk in my
    >> house
    >> with it?
    >
    > That brings back memories. Putting it kindly, it's not a fast printer.
    > AFAIR, It didn't come with enough memory to print a full-page bitmap,
    > which is a problem with newer operating systems that want to render the
    > whole page themselves.
    >
    > $20 with toner and extra memory might not be a bad deal. Without...
    >
    > A $50 Winprinter is likely to be more functional.
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

Printers Laser Printer Hewlett Packard Peripherals