Folder Redirection path, can I use variables or wildcards???

Hi everyone-

Quick question. Currently I am using folder redirection of users My Docs and
it is working fine. My path to the destination directory is pretty
standard... \\fileserver\Home\%username%.

But do to some issues with Mac access,(i can give details if needed) the
home dir is getting pretty unwieldly with over 150 users home folders
residing there. My plan was to create an alphabatized breakdown of all the
home dir's. Example being \\server\Home\A-E\%username%,
\\server\Home\F-J\%username% etc etc.

But I am unsure how to play this out with folder redirection. I would like
to avoid group based redirections as having to place everyone in A-E, F-J
groups would be rough. Can a variable be used in the folder redirection path
like "***" or something like that. All the documentation I've read makes no
mention to it. Wanted to ask before I went further with trial and error
testing. That is my next step.

Thanks again in advance for your help. Happy Labor Day!

Michael
1 answer Last reply
More about folder redirection path variables wildcards

    Seeing as %username% is a variable, I guess you can use variables.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone-
    >
    > Quick question. Currently I am using folder redirection of users My Docs
    > and
    > it is working fine. My path to the destination directory is pretty
    > standard... \\fileserver\Home\%username%.
    >
    > But do to some issues with Mac access,(i can give details if needed) the
    > home dir is getting pretty unwieldly with over 150 users home folders
    > residing there. My plan was to create an alphabatized breakdown of all the
    > home dir's. Example being \\server\Home\A-E\%username%,
    > \\server\Home\F-J\%username% etc etc.
    >
    > But I am unsure how to play this out with folder redirection. I would like
    > to avoid group based redirections as having to place everyone in A-E, F-J
    > groups would be rough. Can a variable be used in the folder redirection
    > path
    > like "***" or something like that. All the documentation I've read makes
    > no
    > mention to it. Wanted to ask before I went further with trial and error
    > testing. That is my next step.
    >
    > Thanks again in advance for your help. Happy Labor Day!
    >
    > Michael

File System Windows