First experience with Mods

Hello All,

After beating Morrowind, I finally decided to download some mods to mess
around with them. The first one I downloaded was "Better Bodies" mod, and
to tell you the truth, I don't see any improvement to the game. I mean
yeah, now I get to see boobies in Suran, but it's like "so what"? Also, I'm
noticing lots of clipping with the "Better Bodies" mod, so I think I'll turn
it off from now on. I've also got a few other mods relating to swamp sounds
and some kind of new shield, but I haven't installed them yet.

What mods you do you folks recommend? Are there any "must have" mods out
there?

-John
8 answers Last reply
More about first experience mods

    In article <11i1g462r4gso9e@corp.supernews.com>,
    John Lau <lauzhunyu@dslextreme.com> wrote:

    >After beating Morrowind, I finally decided to download some mods to mess
    >around with them. The first one I downloaded was "Better Bodies" mod, and
    >to tell you the truth, I don't see any improvement to the game. I mean
    >yeah, now I get to see boobies in Suran, but it's like "so what"? Also, I'm
    >noticing lots of clipping with the "Better Bodies" mod, so I think I'll turn
    >it off from now on. I've also got a few other mods relating to swamp sounds
    >and some kind of new shield, but I haven't installed them yet.

    The thing about Better Bodies is that you get more flexibility with
    clothing graphics. Instead of replacing a body part on the character
    model, clothing objects compatible with Better Bodies appear on top of the
    skin and give more realistic fabric motion and physique effects. And yes,
    you get realistic nudity if that's important to you. Point is, the BB mod
    is best enjoyed with other plug-ins that are dependent on it.

    >What mods you do you folks recommend? Are there any "must have" mods out
    >there?

    If you like having your files all neat and tidy, the Balmora Expansion is
    a good way to enjoy many mods all in one ESP file. Consider it a sort of
    sampler, in that it combines many gameplay, clothing and residence mods
    into a single plug-in that also expands the Balmora town area. I
    personally enjoy 'Morrowind Comes Alive' which adds extra, random NPC's to
    every populated cell in the game for additional variety. There are also a
    couple of mods related to bug fixes that I can't live without, mostly
    related to dialogue and script problems with Bloodmoon.

    I don't usually enjoy mods that add quests, usually because the dialogue
    and content don't fit neatly into the Morrowind lore. But if you've
    finished the game and don't mind a little anachronistic humor, you might
    want to try some of the really ambitious quest mods like 'Qarl's
    Underground' or 'The Glory Road.' Both of those require a decently high
    end machine to enjoy properly.

    That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure the regulars around here
    could spend a week telling you what you should try.

    -KKC, who can't decide which game console to take with him on a big trip.
    --
    --S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
    trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

    Hi,

    Wel considering I like questing more than hack&slash. In order

    wizards island (very good better than bloodmoon/tribunal though I
    toggled god mode a few times).

    sea of destiny (large though not that many quests)
    havish (lots of quests, very well done)

    Regards, Ron AF Greve

    http://moonlit.xs4all.nl

    "John Lau" <lauzhunyu@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > After beating Morrowind, I finally decided to download some mods to mess
    > around with them. The first one I downloaded was "Better Bodies" mod, and
    > to tell you the truth, I don't see any improvement to the game. I mean
    > yeah, now I get to see boobies in Suran, but it's like "so what"? Also,
    > I'm noticing lots of clipping with the "Better Bodies" mod, so I think
    > I'll turn it off from now on. I've also got a few other mods relating to
    > swamp sounds and some kind of new shield, but I haven't installed them
    > yet.
    >
    > What mods you do you folks recommend? Are there any "must have" mods out
    > there?
    >

    > -John

    Some time between the hours of March 10th and Friday, "John Lau"
    <lauzhunyu@dslextreme.com> committed the following:

    > What mods you do you folks recommend? Are there any "must have" mods
    > out there?

    Well, I run using Taddeus' Balanced Weapons, Armor and items mods. These
    seriously "bulk up" the weapons, so they're no longer either ludicrously
    expensive or ridiculously cheap, and beef up armor to the point that
    Imperial gear is actually worth considering. More to the point, Arrille
    stocks a selection of Nordic Ringmail gear that he didn't before. End
    result? Somewhat tougher bandits/smugglers/etc, weaponry's worth something,
    upgrading is harder, and Dwemer stuff is *heavy*.

    (I would like to state that I believe that "weight" in Morrowind is more
    accurately named "bulk", a mixture of size, shape and mass.
    Thankyewanguhnite.)

    For a starting character, Oluhan is a good choice. Go talk to Naloha at...

    If you have Morrowind Enhanced, Journal, Blocking and Writing Enhanced are
    fun. Leave notes for yourself, control how you block/parry, and there's
    Combat Enhanced as well. Yay. (Note: I think Taddeus' items conflicts with
    Journal Enhanced since it alters values for quills and inkpots.)

    As for housing, you might save up for Viveron, a neat mini-canton north of
    the Temple canton, which you can buy from Sonni Day - oh, wait. You need to
    download The Latest, Greatest Housing Mod Gold to do that. Mind the- never
    mind.

    For the purist, Necessities of Morrowind forces you to carry food, drink
    and a bedroll about, eat twice a day and sleep at least six hours a night.
    You also get to rent beds for up to a month. Don't forget to buy "Basic
    Cooking" when you hit Balmora. That or "A Feast for Free".

    And then there's a MAJOR Puzzle Canal improver. Swim down to level 5, move
    some crates, hop down the trapdoor and... You DID remember to bring lots of
    soul gems, didn't you?

    Most of these are available at www.thelys.org - Google the rest.
    --
    Rev. Cardboard Box, slightly tilted, half melted
    www.livejournal.com/users/revcardboardbox

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:30:52 -0500, kendrick@fnord.io.com (Kendrick
    Kerwin Chua) mumbled something like:

    >In article <11i1g462r4gso9e@corp.supernews.com>,
    >John Lau <lauzhunyu@dslextreme.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>After beating Morrowind, I finally decided to download some mods to mess
    >>around with them. The first one I downloaded was "Better Bodies" mod, and
    >>to tell you the truth, I don't see any improvement to the game. I mean
    >>yeah, now I get to see boobies in Suran, but it's like "so what"? Also, I'm
    >>noticing lots of clipping with the "Better Bodies" mod, so I think I'll turn
    >>it off from now on. I've also got a few other mods relating to swamp sounds
    >>and some kind of new shield, but I haven't installed them yet.
    >
    >The thing about Better Bodies is that you get more flexibility with
    >clothing graphics. Instead of replacing a body part on the character
    >model, clothing objects compatible with Better Bodies appear on top of the
    >skin and give more realistic fabric motion and physique effects. And yes,
    >you get realistic nudity if that's important to you. Point is, the BB mod
    >is best enjoyed with other plug-ins that are dependent on it.
    >
    >>What mods you do you folks recommend? Are there any "must have" mods out
    >>there?
    >
    >If you like having your files all neat and tidy, the Balmora Expansion is
    >a good way to enjoy many mods all in one ESP file. Consider it a sort of
    >sampler, in that it combines many gameplay, clothing and residence mods
    >into a single plug-in that also expands the Balmora town area. I
    >personally enjoy 'Morrowind Comes Alive' which adds extra, random NPC's to
    >every populated cell in the game for additional variety. There are also a
    >couple of mods related to bug fixes that I can't live without, mostly
    >related to dialogue and script problems with Bloodmoon.

    Which one is this, do you remember? i've just started to play

    In article <1126274319.8c47a1d88debc72077781e4908f29dea@teranews>,
    Big McLargehuge <noone@spamme.com> wrote:
    >On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:30:52 -0500, kendrick@fnord.io.com (Kendrick
    >Kerwin Chua) mumbled something like:
    <snip>
    >>every populated cell in the game for additional variety. There are also a
    >>couple of mods related to bug fixes that I can't live without, mostly
    >>related to dialogue and script problems with Bloodmoon.
    >>
    >Which one is this, do you remember? i've just started to play
    >Bloodmoon.

    It's called Bloodmoon QuickFix, and there's a version that installs with
    Tribunal and one without. There's no header info in the ESP file and I
    can't for the life of me figure out where I downloaded it from. I'll race
    you to the info; by this afternoon I can look at my hard drive at home to
    see if there's a ZIP file lurking around somewhere.

    -KKC, who still reads news on a text terminal with trn. :)
    --

    John Lau wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > After beating Morrowind, I finally decided to download some mods to
    > mess around with them. The first one I downloaded was "Better
    > Bodies" mod, and to tell you the truth, I don't see any improvement
    > to the game. I mean yeah, now I get to see boobies in Suran, but
    > it's like "so what"? Also, I'm noticing lots of clipping with the
    > "Better Bodies" mod, so I think I'll turn it off from now on. I've
    > also got a few other mods relating to swamp sounds and some kind of
    > new shield, but I haven't installed them yet.
    >
    > What mods you do you folks recommend? Are there any "must have" mods
    > out there?
    >

    > -John

    I decided to start a new game, so I created my very own Morrowind 2 with
    these mods and plugins:

    + Graphics +

    *KP_MW_Visual_Pack 2.11

    More textures.This plugin will replace a lot of original textures, ground,
    wall, rock, bark, plant, etc ...
    more than 570 textures.

    *KP_MW_Visual_Pack_2.2_nature

    An addition to 2.11 110 more textures.

    * Visual Pack XT plugin.

    This is a package of texture files to further the aesthetics of Morrowind.
    They are high-resolution
    textures. This is designed to work best with the previous two KP plugins.

    *Gardeners of Morrowind

    Changes many of the trees and fauna.

    * More trees and foliage.
    * More trees and foliage Autumn.
    * Head pack.
    * Better bodies.
    * Real signposts.
    * Sir Luthor lockpicks.
    * Sir Luthor probes.
    * Ring texture fix.
    *AG3-Gold_coin.

    They are pretty obvious. The graphics are also enhanced by some of my other
    gameplay mods, such as replacement of the Potion and Scroll inventory icons.
    I thought the originals were poor.

    * Lights_300_V4

    I love this one. Reworks all lights in the game to be more, colourful,
    dynamic and realistic. Red Candlesticks have red flames radiate red light,
    green have Green flames and light...same with all other colours. Along with
    way the way light effects the game with this mod, and the improved textures,
    the effects can be stunning.
    All interiors are slightly darkened to make source lights more dominant over
    the ambient light, Dungeons are now mostly pitch black with the exception of
    the source lights. Torches have longer expiration times and bigger and
    brighter radius so that they are actually useful. I always have a few
    torches with me now.
    This mod includes Light based Sneaking and True Light and Darkness.

    + Sound +

    * Morrowind Sound Enhancement plugin 1.5

    - Foley effects added to boot sounds, depending on the type (Light,
    Medium, Heavy) of boots being worn
    -Creatures now make appropriate default falling sounds upon death, new ones
    for Ghosts and Atronarchs
    -Adds 29 new region-specific ambient sounds, Including birds, crickets, and
    swamp life.
    -Some of the wind sounds recreate that rustling-in-your-ear effect
    -Improves dynamics and quality of current feet, environment, combat, and
    magic sounds...
    -Most sounds that came with the game but weren't used for whatever reason
    are now implemented
    -Unique footstep sounds for each Atronarch and Undead creature, new
    flapping sounds for winged creatures
    -More intense magical bolt sounds, improved sfx for magics commonly used to
    cause damage to a target
    -New high quality swooshing and punching, more foley effects for armour hit
    sounds, and various samples of gore added to damage and critical hit sounds
    -Appropriate hit sounds mixed into Screams (etc. Centurions create a
    metallic *clang* when hurt)
    -More detailed Moans (idle) and Roars (attack) for Atronarchs and Skeletons
    -Reverb effects added to Cliff Racers

    + Gameplay/Balance +

    * Adventurers Mod 2.0

    Many tweaks, fixes, GFX changes, NPCs and gameplay changes.

    * Taddeus' Balanced Weapons
    * Taddeus' Balanced Armour
    * Taddeus' Balanced Objects

    Changes weights, values and enchantments of Morrowind weapons, armour and
    objects make the game more balanced and challenging.

    * Taddeus' Balanced "Assassins' Armory"
    * Taddeus' Balanced "Assassins' Armory - Arrows"
    * Taddeus' Balanced "Amulets & Rings 2.1

    Add-ons to the other Taddeus mods

    * Multiple Teleport Marking Mod v2.2

    Allows you to set up to ten separate marks.

    + Creatures and NPCs +

    * Giants_Ultimate_files

    Adds over 200 creatures

    * Cait's_Critters_unleashed

    Adds domestic animals roosters, cows, steers, chickens, pigs, goats.
    Multiple versions of each.

    * Where Are All Birds Going?

    Adds birds to the game.

    *Morrowind comes alive v2.0

    Randomly adds four hundred types of NPCs to over a hundred cells to bring
    Morrowind's towns to life.

    *Morrowind comes alive_wilderness

    Adds some of the NPCs from Morrowind Comes Alive to Vvardenfell's
    wilderness.

    * Companion 1.3

    An enhanced Laura Craft mod.

    + Areas +

    *Vivec expansion

    Adds house, shops, walkways on the water between the Cantons. A sorty of
    shanty town look. Extra dungeon and quests.

    * Bank Mod 2

    Adds Banks and banking system. Loans, deposit accounts etc. Also you can buy
    property.

    * Firemoth

    The island fortress of Firemoth (official plugin) Don't know what it's like,
    haven't been yet.

    The game now looks beautiful (although it has emphasised the need for me to
    upgrade my PC ;-) ), an improved ambience and plays much better. Trading is
    also much better now with many merchants having more gold but at the same
    time loot is more sensibly priced. No more stupid Creeper and Mudcrab trips.
    I intended to add more areas but it's so much like a new game that I haven't
    got around to it.

    Mods I'm currently using (having recently reinstalled after getting
    lockups occasionally that didn't seem related to any particular mod):

    Havish good landmass and quest mod, especially for thieves
    Haldenshore good landmass and quest mod, especially for thieves and
    low level characters I almost always have these two mods loaded,
    whether I play them or not. They are by the same author.

    weathered signs mmmm similar to real signposts (readable signs)
    dej_pocket_watch gives watch item

    Puzzle canal good puzzles and fights for the higher level character
    (makes those rumors of treasures and monsters in the puzzle canal come
    true)

    Magika regen amulet regenerates magic based on character stats
    (really changes gameplay for magic by making spellcasting routinely
    viable.....a nice alternative to draining your intellect with sujamma
    or artifacts to replenish magic)

    Chu-Bran's treasure very small quest mod

    gog very small fighting mod

    Isle of Mistmore landmass, quest, treasure that is good but not tooo
    good, and lots and lots and lots and lots of archery practice (this one
    will generally stay loaded whatever other mods I play)

    The clockwork tower (new mod, haven't explored much)

    JCS dwemer secret (new mod, ditto)

    Vivec Lamps Shop 1.02 (conflicts slightly with NOM in that door
    overlaps a bake shop door) Nice lighting mod and lights to buy.

    the lost heir (new mod, not gotten to be neverine to play it yet)

    TarMar new quest mod, very interesting solve a mystery mod, haven't
    finished it yet

    VTA travel a teleport ring that works with companions (saves
    my tush here when companions don't follow or get stuck)

    RONV4 ring of night vision

    Magic thread leave a trail of glowing dots

    Nymerials' Monthly respawn per title
    Nymeria's Faster Walking per title

    Korobal v1.2 landmass and quest mod, haven't finished yet

    Anastasia v3.3 landmass and quest mod for higher level characters

    Nolore_fixes corrects some dialog, I think

    B_whitewolf good quest and landmass mod

    The latest Greates Housing Mod GOLD nice houses and quest mod

    Booty Island landmass and quest mod

    Nevena's Twin Lamps and Slave Hunters 1.5 join the twin lamps or
    slavers guilds

    Oluhan v1.13 quest mod, still working on it

    KeyNamer names the game keys

    Trib laura 3.0 the Laura Craft companion (by Emma, a companion with
    a personality; a high maintenance, fighter girl friend)

    Constance companion mod (by Emma and Grumpy, a cmpanion with a
    mind of her own and very long fingers)

    Necessities of Morrowins (NOM) eat, drink and sleep or take
    penalties

    Many people have posted mod reviews and summaries lists of favorite
    mods. Search for them in this news group and you will get much info)

    The above mods can be found at the following sites

    http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modcontrols/mods.asp
    http://lovkullen.net/Emma/modsbyemma.htm
    http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm
    http://www.thelys.org/

    Wow, you guys are great! I think I will look into the better journals mod
    and the Balmora mod. The journal always annoyed the heck outta me. I mean,
    it's realistic and all, but it gets really annoying flipping through all of
    the pages to read about a quest I started days ago.

    Thanks everybody,

    John

Video Games