I have recently wiped my hard disc and restored all my programs including
Office 97. I only put on the elements I need, but find that I am missing
some components including spellchecker and conversion tool from excel to
access, as well as Microsoft Publisher.
I now find that when I click on MS Office in add/remove programs nothing
happens, so I am unable to add or remove the complete program or any part of
it. The same happens if I insert the disc and try to run the set-up program.
I have no problem adding or removing other programs. I am using Windows XP
home (with SP2). I have two versions of Office 97- Office Pro (which I have
installed) and Office Small Business Edition (which I haven't). The problem
applies to both, and both were running fine on the same computer before I
wiped the disc,
Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks

Gary

OFFICE SBE is where the Publisher files, it is not part of
Office Pro.

OFFICE SBE is an oem product so it probably will install on
a system locked to the original OS.

Sounds like your Office installation is corrupt. Do a
system restore to a point before the Office install was
done. That should clear the error and allow you to install
again.

Suggest that you browse the CDs and read the "readme" files
to see what the EULA and other issues might be in need of
consideration. Also, you might want to do a full install of
SBE first and then upgrade to Pro with a full install.
After it is running and if you have a need to do so, remove
the unwanted modules. But unless you're very short on disk
space, I'd just leave it all installed.

"Gary Sams" <garysams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
|I have recently wiped my hard disc and restored all my
programs including
| Office 97. I only put on the elements I need, but find
that I am missing
| some components including spellchecker and conversion tool
from excel to
| access, as well as Microsoft Publisher.
| I now find that when I click on MS Office in add/remove
programs nothing
| happens, so I am unable to add or remove the complete
program or any part of
| it. The same happens if I insert the disc and try to run
the set-up program.
| I have no problem adding or removing other programs. I am
using Windows XP
| home (with SP2). I have two versions of Office 97- Office
Pro (which I have
| installed) and Office Small Business Edition (which I
haven't). The problem
| applies to both, and both were running fine on the same
computer before I
| wiped the disc,
| Any idea what is wrong?
|
| Thanks
|
| Gary

Your right that Publisher is in SBE, not Pro. It is even on a separate disc,
so it is particularly surprising that I can't load it. Unfortunatlely,
Office was the first thing I installed after formatting the drive and
installing windows, so I doubt that I will be able to find an earlier system
restore point. The only reason I don't install the whole lot is to avoid
office toolbar and similar annoyances,

oem?

EULA?

Thanks

Gary

> OFFICE SBE is where the Publisher files, it is not part of
> Office Pro.
>
> OFFICE SBE is an oem product so it probably will install on
> a system locked to the original OS.
>
> Sounds like your Office installation is corrupt. Do a
> system restore to a point before the Office install was
> done. That should clear the error and allow you to install
> again.
>
> Suggest that you browse the CDs and read the "readme" files
> to see what the EULA and other issues might be in need of
> consideration. Also, you might want to do a full install of
> SBE first and then upgrade to Pro with a full install.
> After it is running and if you have a need to do so, remove
> the unwanted modules. But unless you're very short on disk
> space, I'd just leave it all installed.

> "Gary Sams" <garysams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> |I have recently wiped my hard disc and restored all my
> programs including
> | Office 97. I only put on the elements I need, but find
> that I am missing
> | some components including spellchecker and conversion tool
> from excel to
> | access, as well as Microsoft Publisher.
> | I now find that when I click on MS Office in add/remove
> programs nothing
> | happens, so I am unable to add or remove the complete
> program or any part of
> | it. The same happens if I insert the disc and try to run
> the set-up program.
> | I have no problem adding or removing other programs. I am
> using Windows XP
> | home (with SP2). I have two versions of Office 97- Office
> Pro (which I have
> | installed) and Office Small Business Edition (which I
> haven't). The problem
> | applies to both, and both were running fine on the same
> computer before I
> | wiped the disc,
> | Any idea what is wrong?
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | Gary

You should have the option to disable the Office Toolbar
from the startup.

> [...]
tool
| > from excel to
| > | access, as well as Microsoft Publisher.
| > | I now find that when I click on MS Office in
add/remove
| > programs nothing
| > | happens, so I am unable to add or remove the complete
| > program or any part of
| > | it. The same happens if I insert the disc and try to
run
| > the set-up program.
| > | I have no problem adding or removing other programs. I
am
| > using Windows XP
| > | home (with SP2). I have two versions of Office 97-
Office
| > Pro (which I have
| > | installed) and Office Small Business Edition (which I
| > haven't). The problem
| > | applies to both, and both were running fine on the
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | Gary
| > |
| > |

Yes I know, I was just commenting on why I hadn't installed everything in
the first place. The problem is that I can't add or remove anything now,

Thanks anyway,

Gary

> You should have the option to disable the Office Toolbar
> from the startup.
>

> "Gary Sams" <garysams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> | Your right that Publisher is in SBE, not Pro. It is even
> on a separate disc,
> | so it is particularly surprising that I can't load it.
> Unfortunatlely,
> | Office was the first thing I installed after formatting
> the drive and
> | installing windows, so I doubt that I will be able to find
> an earlier system
> | restore point. The only reason I don't install the whole
> lot is to avoid
> | office toolbar and similar annoyances,
> |
> | oem?
> |
> | EULA?
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | Gary
> |
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > OFFICE SBE is where the Publisher files, it is not part
> of
> | > Office Pro.
> | >
> | > OFFICE SBE is an oem product so it probably will install
> on
> | > a system locked to the original OS.
> | >
> | > Sounds like your Office installation is corrupt. Do a
> | > system restore to a point before the Office install was
> | > done. That should clear the error and allow you to
> install
> | > again.
> | >
> | > Suggest that you browse the CDs and read the "readme"
> files
> | > to see what the EULA and other issues might be in need
> of
> | > consideration. Also, you might want to do a full
> install of
> | > SBE first and then upgrade to Pro with a full install.
> | > After it is running and if you have a need to do so,
> remove
> | > the unwanted modules. But unless you're very short on
> disk
> | > space, I'd just leave it all installed.
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> | >

> | > "Gary Sams" <garysams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> | > programs including
> | > that I am missing
> tool
> | > from excel to
> add/remove
> | > programs nothing
> | > program or any part of
> run
> | > the set-up program.
> am
> | > using Windows XP
> Office
> | > Pro (which I have
> | > haven't). The problem
> same
> | > computer before I
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

If you can't do a system restore to an earlier point before
you installed Office, you might need to go into the registry
manually and remove the references to Office, use a
third-party registry tool, or do a clean install of Windows
and start over. Hope you have partitions or other drives
that have isolated operating systems, applications and data.

It is a little off topic, but I think all computers should
be setup with at least two partitions so OS and applications
files are separate from data files.

| Yes I know, I was just commenting on why I hadn't
installed everything in
| the first place. The problem is that I can't add or remove
anything now,

| Thanks anyway,
|
| Gary

in message
| > You should have the option to disable the Office Toolbar
| > from the startup.
| >

| > "Gary Sams" <garysams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
| > | Your right that Publisher is in SBE, not Pro. It is
even
| > on a separate disc,
| > | so it is particularly surprising that I can't load it.
| > Unfortunatlely,
| > | Office was the first thing I installed after
formatting
| > the drive and
| > | installing windows, so I doubt that I will be able to
find
| > an earlier system
| > | restore point. The only reason I don't install the
whole
| > lot is to avoid
| > | office toolbar and similar annoyances,
| > |