partition New System for Dual Boot XP pro & XP x64

IronChef

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
As this is my first post (new user name) I First would thank all the good advice and posting here are THG it has been a big help over the last 3 builds :D

So Just About to build a new e6600 Conroe & Asus P5B Deluxe System &
My questions are about the best partition layout for a dual boot XP pro & XP x64 system, using 2x320gb in a Raid 0 for OS, Apps & non critical storage (I will also do a Raid 1 set for Critical data ;) While I have setup many XP systems I have not setup a x64 yet. System will be for a wide range of use (lots of multitasking, video/music encoding, editing & burning, and some gaming)

I am thinking of this setup for the Partitions:
1 - OS XP pro (~10gb)
2 - Apps for XP pro (~20+gb)
3 - Page file for XP pro (~3gb)

4 - OS for XP x64 (~10+?gb)? 10 GB enough for x64 OS?
5 - Apps for x64 (~15-20gb)
6 - Page file for x64 (~6gb)

Remaining Raid 0 set Space in 1-3 partitions for the non-critical data storage

So I guess what I am asking is for thoughts about this setup and perhaps even size recommendations for drives. Again I am looking for optimal performance (thus my thoughts for different partitions OS, Apps & page to prevent fragmenting)

Over kill? or a little complicated but optimal?

Thanks again for your time and suggestions 8)

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If you want it to be as easy and simple as possible then just skip the RAID0 array and just use two disks as two disks and install one OS to each.

I don't really see why you have this hankering to run x64 and XP at the same time though - you're never going to see any particular improvements with x64 and it's just a load of hassle.

If I were you I wouldn't bother with this whole thing, however that's not relevant nor is it helpful. Install x64 to one drive first, use it for a couple of weeks, see if you like it, and if you do then keep it and be done with 32bit Windows. However if you have driver troubles, or don't see a performance increase over 32bit Windows then go back to 32bit.

(It's quite obvious from your question that you're paying for neither, BTW :wink: )

1. Needlessly over complicated
2. Avoid XP x64 altogether. It's a piece of crap OS. I can say that from both personal experience and from the accounts of friends and family. If you want to go to a 64bit OS, wait until Vista arrives.
3. NEVER install an OS on 1 partition and other applications (games and such) to another. It's an incredibly dumb idea. If something were to happen which required you to format, you would have to reinstall all of those programs anyway.
4. Set it up this way:

RAID 0 two 320GB drives, installing everything you want on them. Then add another single 320GB drive to keep the install files for all of the programs you either a: can't download somewhere else (freeware apps) or b: don't have backed up on a CD or DVD.

IronChef

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
1. Needlessly over complicated
2. Avoid XP x64 altogether. It's a piece of crap OS. I can say that from both personal experience and from the accounts of friends and family. If you want to go to a 64bit OS, wait until Vista arrives.
3. NEVER install an OS on 1 partition and other applications (games and such) to another. It's an incredibly dumb idea. If something were to happen which required you to format, you would have to reinstall all of those programs anyway.

The Whole idea behind x64 is just to see it and test it as I am curious, HOwever I do appericate the fact that it has its problems (with drivers) and it is not really any improvement in speed.

I do have a Beta 2 of Vista x64 so perhaps that is a better idea

And as for partitioning the OS and apps I do know that I would have to reinstall but I guess it is more of a personal preferance as I like to keep things seperate and clean even a the risk of over kill ;)

Thanks again for all the thoughts

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
i may be the only one giving a positive recommendation for xp x64 i think then, lol...

its the OS ive been using for quite awhile actually (8-9 months, since shortly after i completely upgraded my system), ill occasionally be dual booting with xp x86 though too (usually just because)... xp x64 definetly is more responsive than x86 is though... its also typically more stable than xp x86, plus you also get the more obvious benefits of the OS, that most people point out...

driver availability is the main downside, i will say that... but if you have all your drives taken care of (oem, third party, modded and what not), you shouldnt have any issues to speak of at all then really...

there are numerous antivirus apps available, AVG antivirus, avast x64, windows defender x64 to name a few...

for gaming, if you really do run into compatability issues, thats why theres always the option to dual boot into x86... or, if youre a very heavy gamer, x86 may be a better option to stick with then anyhow...

but for everyday use, xp x64 ive found, more than holds its own against xp x86.

TRENDING THREADS