Sign in with
Your question

P5WDH DELUXE/WIFI-AP -- happy owners?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2006 8:15:09 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?DEPA...

Read the bottom 10-15 reviews here. Anyone out there actually own one of these? Can you confirm some of these comments:

-no conroe support
-high NB temps
-instability
-CD/DVDROM must plug into blue connector to operate

Anyone know of a production version (not pre-production) of this board has been reviewed by a reputability site? I googled around but only found links to the pre-production versions.
September 1, 2006 4:19:26 PM

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?DEPA...

Read the bottom 10-15 reviews here. Anyone out there actually own one of these? Can you confirm some of these comments:

-no conroe support
-high NB temps
-instability
-CD/DVDROM must plug into blue connector to operate

Anyone know of a production version (not pre-production) of this board has been reviewed by a reputability site? I googled around but only found links to the pre-production versions.

As you can see in my signature, i own a P5W DH Deluxe. In my opinion they are the best motherboard for Core 2 Duo available. Simply the best. You've got to be wary of looking at only the negative reviews man. You take any product, even the best out there, and you are still gonna have some people who don't like it, or are too stupid to have understood how to use it properly.

As for your specific concerns:

It MOST CERTAINLY DOES support Core 2 Duo (Conroe). However you must have BIOS version 801 or higher (901 or higher for Core 2 Extreme). This is not going to be a problem if you buy the board now, as all new stock from ASUS will have shipped with the new BIOS version. However, if you happen to get a board that's been laying around on the shelf for a while, or just doesn't happen to have the latest BIOS, all you have to do is flash the BIOS be4 you start working with the computer. (i.e. download the latest BIOS from ASUS, and boot the PC and hit alt+F2, place in your BIOS disk and flash away, no problems).

Yes, the P5W DH does have slightly higher NB temps than some other motherboards. But it's not a problem. And if you want you can do like i did and buy a simple $7 chipset fan to cool it down further.

I have had absolutely no problems with instabilty whatsoever. I've not talked to one person who's had any stability issues with this motherboard.

Yes, ATAPI devices must use the primary IDE channel and not the Secondary. Meaning the primary channel (blue connector) supports ATAPI devices (CD/DVD ROMS) and Hard Drives. The secondary (Black) IDE controller only supports Hard Drives. This really isn't an issue as most people have only 1 or 2 ATAPI devices. The secondary IDE controller is only for legacy (non-SATA) hard drive support. The motherboard comes with 7 SATA (modern) hard drive connectors.

All newer motherboard, no matter what model and brand they are, are phasing out IDE hard drives, some are even phasing out IDE ATAPI devices. Most C2D motherboards (take the P5B for example) will only come with one IDE channel period. But for the P5W DH you get the added secondary channel for legacy Hard Drive support. So it's not a problem, it's a bonus.

Pre-Production and Post-Production versions are the same. Both are awesome and like i said, in my opinion, the best solution for a C2D board available.
September 1, 2006 6:46:25 PM

One thing I've been curious about on this board is if the wi-fi feature is really up to snuff? Is it comparable to buying a quality name-brand NIC. If anyone can shed light on that it'd be great if you have actually tried this function of the board.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 7:19:32 PM

Great info, Logic. Thanks. I'm wondering if the nF 590 boards will beat this one once they are released. Also wondering about the prices and if the release of the nvidia chipset boards will cause this board to drop from it's currently high (01-sept-06) newegg price of $270.

I noticed you're using a Scythe Ninja+ Cooler w/ that 6700. Can you share you idle/load temps? What fan are you using (brand/RPM) to cool it and did you encounter any problems installing it?

Anyway, thanks again for the info.
September 1, 2006 9:49:26 PM

Quote:
One thing I've been curious about on this board is if the wi-fi feature is really up to snuff? Is it comparable to buying a quality name-brand NIC. If anyone can shed light on that it'd be great if you have actually tried this function of the board.

I personally haven't used the WIFI on this board, but my previous board, an ASUS P5AD2-E Premium had the same kind integrated WIFI card and i used it all the time. It never failed me once. It's been my experience that built in WIFI is a whole magnitude of better over PCI addon cards. You can always count on an ASUS board to have the best built in functionality available, WIFI is no different. Besides, it's not as if the built in WIFI isn't name brand, it is Realtek.

In conclusion, i'd take built in Realtek WIFI over ANY PCI WIFI card ANY DAY.
September 1, 2006 9:56:30 PM

Quote:
Great info, Logic. Thanks. I'm wondering if the nF 590 boards will beat this one once they are released. Also wondering about the prices and if the release of the nvidia chipset boards will cause this board to drop from it's currently high (01-sept-06) newegg price of $270.

I noticed you're using a Scythe Ninja+ Cooler w/ that 6700. Can you share you idle/load temps? What fan are you using (brand/RPM) to cool it and did you encounter any problems installing it?

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

I have no idea about the nForce boards cause i've never used one before. But if you're asking if it's worth the money to get the P5W DH, i'd say yes.

My temps are:
BIOS Idle: 24-25C
Windows Idle: 23-25C
Full Load: 28-32C
Lowest ever recorded temp: 19C
Highest ever recorded temp: 32C

The Scythe Ninja+ comes with a Scythe 120mm fan, that's what i'm using. It attaches to the side of the Ninja, it's all in the instructions. It usually runs around 950rpm, but if the CPU were to get hotter i'd imagine the RPMs would go up because of Qfan. I didn't have any problems installing it, it's fairly simple. But it's extremely large, tall especially. So u'll need to make sure your case is large enough to fit it.
September 1, 2006 11:00:17 PM

Quote:

It seems to be working as well as my Netgear wireless was in my old PC, haven't seen any reason to put that card in.

I haven't tried using it as an AP though...
September 1, 2006 11:08:45 PM

Logic, I noticed you have a GeForce 7900. Do you know if the P5W DH Deluxe supports the 7950? I've read that you don't necessarily need explicit support for SLI to use the 7950, but then again, the P5W DH also isn't listed in NVidia's compatibility chart (the P5WD2 is).

I'm contemplating getting an X6800 CPU and a 7950 graphics card. I've always liked Asus mobos, and the P5W DH Deluxe sounds like a great board, especially with the 975 chipset. I just want to make sure the 7950 will work with it, and I haven't seen any confirmation of this in any of the research I've done.

Thanks,
Oggy
September 2, 2006 2:03:45 AM

Quote:
Logic, I noticed you have a GeForce 7900. Do you know if the P5W DH Deluxe supports the 7950? I've read that you don't necessarily need explicit support for SLI to use the 7950, but then again, the P5W DH also isn't listed in NVidia's compatibility chart (the P5WD2 is).

I'm contemplating getting an X6800 CPU and a 7950 graphics card. I've always liked Asus mobos, and the P5W DH Deluxe sounds like a great board, especially with the 975 chipset. I just want to make sure the 7950 will work with it, and I haven't seen any confirmation of this in any of the research I've done.

Thanks,
Oggy

i don't know for sure, some people have gotten it to work, other's have had problems.
September 2, 2006 9:56:45 AM

Quote:
My temps are:

Pretty amazing temps dude. Do you have any photos of your setup? How many case fans are operating in that thing? Also, what are you using to record your temps (did the lowest/highest come from the software, or your memory)?

Quote:
The Scythe Ninja+ comes with a Scythe 120mm fan, that's what i'm using. It attaches to the side of the Ninja, it's all in the instructions. It usually runs around 950rpm, but if the CPU were to get hotter i'd imagine the RPMs would go up because of Qfan. I didn't have any problems installing it, it's fairly simple. But it's extremely large, tall especially. So u'll need to make sure your case is large enough to fit it.

If possible, can you measure the distance off the board it takes in your case? I have an older Antec sever (full tower) case but I can't find the model number on their website anymore. I guessing there's plenty of room in there.
September 2, 2006 7:53:37 PM

I'm happy with mine :) 
September 2, 2006 10:28:58 PM

Quote:
My temps are:

Pretty amazing temps dude. Do you have any photos of your setup? How many case fans are operating in that thing? Also, what are you using to record your temps (did the lowest/highest come from the software, or your memory)?

Quote:

If possible, can you measure the distance off the board it takes in your case? I have an older Antec sever (full tower) case but I can't find the model number on their website anymore. I guessing there's plenty of room in there.

PIC
PIC
PIC
PIC
PIC
PIC
PIC
PIC
PIC
PIC

Temps were recorded with ASUS PC Probe 2, SpeedFan, CoreTemp. Lowest/Highest were recorded with PC Probe 2.

From Newegg's Scythe Ninja+ Page:
with fan attached: 110mm length, 135mm width, 150mm height. accounting for clearance, it's about 175mm tall.
September 2, 2006 11:13:08 PM

I have one too :) 

The WLAN is actually USB 2.0 based, but is very good. Much better performance and range than any other WLAN card I have ever used.

It supports Core 2 Duo as someone else stated, all versions shipping now will have the latest BIOS and will run it fine.

The NB gets warm, not so warm its an issue, and its because its passively cooled. If you like, the included fan that clips onto the little heatsink keeps it well within temps.

Rock solid stable. Its one of the most popular C2D overcloking boards along with the Gigabyte DQ6, and often achieves better FSB speeds.

I have my Sony DVD-RW drive on the controller that supposedly doesnt support ATAPI devices and it works fine

If you enable the jmicron boot rom you can even boot from it.

The board ROCKS tbh. By far the best motherboard I have ever used.
September 8, 2006 6:40:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, ATAPI devices must use the primary IDE channel and not the Secondary. Meaning the primary channel (blue connector) supports ATAPI devices (CD/DVD ROMS) and Hard Drives. The secondary (Black) IDE controller only supports Hard Drives. This really isn't an issue as most people have only 1 or 2 ATAPI devices. The secondary IDE controller is only for legacy (non-SATA) hard drive support. The motherboard comes with 7 SATA (modern) hard drive connectors.

All newer motherboard, no matter what model and brand they are, are phasing out IDE hard drives, some are even phasing out IDE ATAPI devices. Most C2D motherboards (take the P5B for example) will only come with one IDE channel period. But for the P5W DH you get the added secondary channel for legacy Hard Drive support. So it's not a problem, it's a bonus.

I'm planning on putting three drives on this mobo: CD/DVD burner, a CD/DVD combo drive, and a SATA Raptor HD. Since ATAPI devices are only supported on the primary IDE channel, should I get one ATAPI CD/DVD and one SATA CD/DVD? From past experience, sharing an IDE channel between two devices that will be accessed at the same time will slow performance. On previous builds, I would put my HD and CD reader on one channel and the burner on the other. This way, I could go from my reader to my burner or HD to burner and they wouldn't be competing for bandwidth.

Also, of those 7 SATA connectors, are some of them for RAID-only configurations? I downloaded the mobo manual and read through it a bit and it sounds like the two EZ_RAID connectors are only for RAID configurations. So excluding the external SATA connector, can only 4 non-RAID SATA devices be used?

Oggy
September 8, 2006 8:14:44 AM

I say again, my Sony DVD-RW drive works fine on the jmicron controller that isnt supposed to support CD/DVD drives.

The 1305 BIOS said it updated the jmicron BIOS too, so maybe that fixed it, or maybe its because I dont have it in RAID mode.
September 8, 2006 8:48:36 AM

Quote:
I say again, my Sony DVD-RW drive works fine on the jmicron controller that isnt supposed to support CD/DVD drives.

The 1305 BIOS said it updated the jmicron BIOS too, so maybe that fixed it, or maybe its because I dont have it in RAID mode.

That's good to know. I knew I liked ASUS mobos for a reason :) 

I think what I'm gonna do is get an ATAPI CD/DVD burner, then get a SATA CD/DVD reader. I've read the SATA readers are very speedy. The one I'm looking at is 52X and has a 1.5MB cache (and even burns CDs). I'll use that for my primary reader and CD burner (it writes a bit faster than the ATAPI drive) and the other one just for burning DVDs. Here they are for reference:

LITE-ON Combo Drive Black SATA Model SHC-52S7K-05 - OEM

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model SHM-165H6S - Retail

Oggy
September 8, 2006 9:07:09 AM

Yep, i'm a very very happy user. No problems encountered so far, easy setup, great bios/overclocking option. Inbuilt hardware Raid setup was awesome, no drivers required.

I use the Solo Ap and it works fine.

Core 2 Duo E6700 (3.3Ghz)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard
OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 EL XTC 2048MB Kit, DDR2, 240 Pin, 800Mhz
Hyper R 580w PSU
2 x Western Digital Sata2 250GB Hard Drives setup up in Raid 0
1 x Maxtor Sata Hard drive
Geforce 7900 GTX
Zalman CNPS9500
Windows XP SP2
Benq 20.1 tft widescreen
September 8, 2006 5:12:38 PM

I've just added a Plextor PX-760SA DVD±RW drive, which is SATA, and it does seem really fast :D 

But then my old Sony drive was 4x4x and didnt do dual-layer at all, while this drive is 18x18x, so I suppose it should be faster!
September 8, 2006 8:41:04 PM

I have this motherboard also and have been worried about the MB temps as they are between 45-50c. I thought this was being read from the motherboard about the chip that has all the heatpipe and cooling fins. This is also the one that would be cooled by the clip on blower/fan that comes with the MB. This does not seem to be the chip that pcprobe is setup to read as the MB temp. I was trying to get the temp lower by putting a 120mm fan blowing right on top of the heatpipe/fins setup only to find it made no differance. I then moved the fan to the bottom of my case blowing on the lower chip this dropped the MB temp to 38-39c. I have not been able to find a solution to install on this chip yet. Frys doesnt seem to have a chipset fan/heatsink.

The board has been very stable and have not seen any problems due to heat.
The only negitive I can give you about this board is that it has so much stuff that windows was not able to deal with all of it enabled (At least in my case) The second ide (Non blue) was marked as not functioning in the hardware browser and windows indicated that it did not have enough resources to enable it. I then disabled stuff I was not going to use and all was good.

I have 2 32 gig raptors raid1 and 2 74 gig raptors raid1 this was not clearly defined in the manual as how I could do this. (At least not to me) I was able to do some simple process of elimination to figure out how to get them all to show up on one controller. I now have the machine booting off of one of the two raids.

Jim
September 8, 2006 9:04:51 PM

Quote:
As you can see in my signature, i own a P5W DH Deluxe. In my opinion they are the best motherboard for Core 2 Duo available. Simply the best.

What other C2D mobos have you compared the P5W to? I personally have zero C2D experience, but I do notice that some of the highest OCs reported on forums tend to be 965 chipset boards. I got into a discussion with an Intel mobo guy and he told me that the bios was initially tweaked more favorably on the Asus 965 board for C2D as compared to the 975. That surprised me since I'd heard so much good press for the 975. Specifically what I'm seeing in forums are very high FSBs being achieved on 965 boards. Apparently, the BIOS is still not optimized for C2D on the 975. Dogonne it! When is DFI gonna get offa their butt and release their ATI chipset board for C2D?
September 9, 2006 1:22:20 AM

Hi

I Have that motherboard in my system. specs below
ASUS P5W DH-Deluxe (BIOS rev 0801)
Intel conroe E6600
SB Audigy 4
2GB DDR2 Corsair 5300C4
WD 250Gb sata2 HD
Pioneer 16x DVD
Antec SOLO case
Antec HE Neo 500W PSU

Not had any crashes and is running very stable. CPU uses the standard heatsink/fan and i have 1 120mm case fan. I have over clocked the RAM to 800 at C4 settings with no problems.

Currently running everquest for a few hours and asus probe reports
CPU at 32C
MB at 38C
CPU fan speed at 1000 rpm
Case fan at 2900rpm

cheers
September 13, 2006 12:17:21 PM

Hey guys,

I been having a few troubles with my P5W DH DELUXE MB. Hope you guys can give me some advice.

I only got this MB about 2 weeks ago..the Bios version it had I think it was a 0701. I could boot the conroe chip itself already without the use of an older cpu to update.

My first problem is ever since I got the motherboard ,when I do a cold boot , it powers up without POST....... I have to press reset after 5 secs before I can hear the beep and continue with the boot screen and to windows

Secondly my Motherboard temprature is always at 45 *C - 50*C which is worrying me. Is it normal for CPU to be at 35*C - 40*C?. This was checked under the BIOS and PC PROBE II. I using the normal intel heatsink with the asus optional fan.

Thirdly, im not sure its the DH Remote software that is being weird. When I turn of my PC by pressing the power button (not manual start button shutdown) it goes into EZ- WIFI mode. I have to use the remote to bring it back on screen without any other way possible. I tried changing the settings a bit under power options but still no luck and yes I also did the HID settings in device manager as mention in the setup guide.manual.

I also have problems powering up my PC using the controller power buttin from a cold boot...

These problems really made me feel like I should have gotten a normal motherboard. The price I paid for it was massive and the problems Im having is from the extra features it gives.

I wouldnt want to have to turn on my PC manually and press the reset button after 5 secs..It defeats the purpose of having a remote control...
=(

BTW, I have updated my bios now to the latest 1305. My bios settings are set as default without overclocking it.

It still have no luck with the same problems and I dunno what else to do. Im not sure who to ask about these question because I do not know anyone who have the same MB as me..

Do you think if I called asus they will tell me what I can do?

please help

cheers

These are the configuration of PC

Intel Conroe E6400
P5W DH DELUXE
2G RAM Corsair 5300 Value Select
Nvidia 7900GT
2x Pioneer 111D
2x 300GB SG SATA HDD
1x 320GB SG SATA HDD
ANTEC SONATA II CASING
September 13, 2006 1:57:43 PM

Firstly the remote should be connected to one of the lower USB slots on the backplate, the ones closest to the PCI slots, if not it will not power on the PC.

Hibernation should be enabled in Windows XP, not sure if there is a relevent setting in the BIOS for this too.

The motherboard temp is the temp of the northbridge not the CPU. 45-50°C is about average for this mobo and is not a concern.

Not sure about the power up without post and need a reset issue, never had anything like that with mine :/ 
September 14, 2006 12:30:28 AM

When using wifi ap mode, and you want to turn the computer off but leave the wifi on, is the computer supposed to stay on when you hit the wifi button? I was under the impression that it went into complete sleep mode(cpu off), it only turns off the monitor when I press the wifi button.
September 14, 2006 1:25:15 PM

I am a ASUS board user, and i can say that Im quite happy with the perfromance of the board. No problems no errors, runs great. Haven't used the Wifi feature yet and I don't think that I intend to anytime.
!