Nvidia Tegra 4 Will Have 72-Core GPU, Ultra HD Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
The Tegra 3 is a decent chip, but it was disappointing when they talk about Quad Core CPUs and Twelve Core GPUs blah blah blah.

It seems my Galaxy S3 dual core can smoke my Nexus 7. And with that, I hope they start packing 2GB RAM into the new Tegra 4 devices.

lengcaifai

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
it seems that tegra always is the weakest when compared to competitiors, example tegra2 vs snapdragon scorpio, dual core exynos, and tegra3 vs krait, quad core exynos etc...

lets see how its 2nd gen quad core fares...

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Cool, Tegra 4 article with a photo of a Tegra 3 chip :)[/citation]

so what did you expect them to put? this news is based on the rumor from chinese website chipdell. nvidia themselves still not officially release most things about tegra 4.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I hope this does well, though from my understanding, iOS is just a more polished (coded wise) OS. Would be nice to be able to do some apples to apples (no pun intended) comparison, alas, Apple will never use this chip.

[citation][nom]lengcaifai[/nom]it seems that tegra always is the weakest when compared to competitiors, example tegra2 vs snapdragon scorpio, dual core exynos, and tegra3 vs krait, quad core exynos etc...lets see how its 2nd gen quad core fares...[/citation]

of course krait will be faster. they come much later than tegra 3

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Tegra 3 was pure marketing, and I think this one will be the same.
They will rely on the press to hype the **** out of it with words like "Powerhouse", "Beastly". and pay off developers to make exclusive stuff for it.

Some stuff I'd like to know:
- did they fix the abysmal memory bandwidth?
- Did they improve the GPU architecture or its the same T2/T3 gpu with more cores?

They marketed the hell out of the gpu cores number in Tegra 3, but its preformance was/is utter crap compared to the SGX, Mali, and Adreno competition.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
It's weakest because they come out first (first quad, but at 40, 6 months later beat by 28nm...well duh).

This will be beat by stuff in sept, but again, those will be too late to get into a device most likely or on the cusp for xmas etc (note Qualcomm whining that nv just came first...yeah, that's the point to get design wins for a certain date). Since exynos5 in my dads nexus 10 does pretty well at 2560x1600 but just a tad weak in gpu this should be better especially since they actually get tegra games optimized and it looks like it should be 25-30% faster than exynos. I expected a 48core (4x current). It looks like they actually aimed at apple not current exynos/snapdragon pro which are underpowered for this res. Nexus 10 should have chose apples res and it would have been excellent. This should make a decent 10 at 2560x1600 finally. I hope google is tooling up for a nexus10 rev2. :) It seems they took the die shrink and either grew the chip (to get another 24 cores) or figured out how to keep the die size and fit more in it. I'm guessing though, this is over 81mm but we'll have to wait and see. I expected the die shrink to allow 4x the current 12 with no power loss at the same size or so (since they went quad core first, and left gpu weak). This goes further than that even assuming they are the exact same gpu cores from tegra3. Just 6x the tegra cores would make it in A6 league or so, which would make it VERY attractive for all but apple. Nice. If they are better cores it should be ABOVE A6x.

IF this slide is true (big if, I really expected 48gpu, a simple quad of the gpu), this will rock for a while and make it into a ton of devices for xmas (from july products on probably in volume). I like the fact that they release like this, to make it into Aug->xmas devices (like the nexus7) with no chance of missing that boat. I think samsung upped the exynos6 date to try to get in more xmas stuff also. There are NOT enough of the nexus4/10 and they needed to land their chip a good 2 months earlier to get more production/designs for xmas, which it looks like they're doing this time. Good times ahead...Here comes the nextgen SOC war ;) I'm hoping NV speeds up just a bit and gets the Tegra4+ for those xmas devices mentioned above. The first model makes it into early-mid year stuff, but I'm hoping 4+ makes it for xmas though I'd have no trouble buying a nexus10 with this 1st gen if it's really 72core as that puts it at or above apple.

If this is wrong and it's 48core though, it's just a exynos5 type and isn't enough for 2560x1600 (perhaps why they made it 72...they saw and recognized the issue with exynos5).

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"ZDNet points out that Apple's current A6X SoC which powers the new iPad 4 is around 4 times faster than the Tegra 3"link to benchmarks?[/citation]

I went to ZDNet to see if it can match Tom's. It is literally the most Apple biased tech site I've ever been on, other than Cult of Mac. All the people hate the Apple articles there, just like the people hate the Apple articles here.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]I went to ZDNet to see if it can match Tom's. It is literally the most Apple biased tech site I've ever been on, other than Cult of Mac. All the people hate the Apple articles there, just like the people hate the Apple articles here.[/citation]
Now thats some apple bias lol

sounds neat! This may be powerful enough to make a first entry into the desktop market for ARM. When that happens I wonder how much ram will be paired with such devices. Ram is cheap and yet the most you ever find on an ARM device is 2GB which is not enough for a desktop environment and I have been curious if this is a chip limitation, a battery life/size limitation, or merely tablet makers being cheap.

Sounds like a good solution to allow a TV to have full PC or at least an android OS. I know there are solutions now but they tend to be bulky and slow. I think this would be the perfect solution for TV manufacturers to integrate a high quality solution into a TV. Then they just need to do like some manufacturers have done and make a slide out keyboard on the remote for typing and using remote sensing similar to the way the Wii controllers work.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

The Tegra 3 isn't the top dog, performance wise, in the SOC market. It's just the best value right now. A better performing chip is the Samsung Exynos, though it's exclusive to Samsung products unfortunately. Samsung still makes Apple's processors right now too.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I wonder if that 6x increase in shader cores will result in close to 6x the performance boost. It seems like it would be bandwidth starved before that, with those for Cortex A15 cores to feed on the same memory bus.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kjsksaj[/nom]If you think carlos’s story is impossible,, 5 weaks-ago my aunts girlfriend basically also recieved a check for $6391 grafting in their apartment and there co-worker’s mom’s neighbour has done this for 3 months and made more then $6391 part-time from their laptop. Use the guidelines on this address…. Ask22.com[/citation]

Hopefully most folks realize not to buy into this garbage. You go to the site, pay them money, then they send you an email that tells you to make posts and have people send you money so you can tell them to do the same thing.

That's why these scams always come in waves.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]slob[/nom]house 70, its a pretty well known fact that Apple's A6x is the fastest SOC on the market right now.http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472 [...] 2-review/4[/citation]

First non-negative Apple comment to not get down voted.

Status
Not open for further replies.