Re-Up w/ Cingular (Balt-Wash)? "No roaming"

Last response: in Network Providers
November 9, 2004 2:42:30 PM

I currently have a 450-minute family plan with free text messages and
unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling for $59.99/mo FOR 4 PHONES.
Cingular has nothing even close to that price; however, I am noticing a
drop-off in the service quality of the TDMA network. I am toying with
the idea of signing up for their new Cingular Nation family plan 850,
despite its higher costs.

I have a few concerns. One is what is the fine print on the "no long
distance, no roaming ever" claim. I have read a few posts where people
claim that they are STILL being billed long distance and roaming
charges.

Another issue is coverage on the new network. At least one of these
phones will be used extensively in Fauquier, Stafford, Fredericksburg,
and Spotsylvania Virginia. My current TDMA coverage is adequate in
these areas, but I am concerned about GSM coverage.

Finally, the guy at the Cingular store says if I am unhappy with my new
service, I can go back to the old plan. I have heard from various
acquaintances that once Cingular moves you off a discontinued plan,
they WILL NOT put you back on it.
Constructive feedback welcomed!

Thanks!
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 8:13:14 PM

In article <1100029350.366002.48950@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"B.Good" <bgooduu@yahoo.com> wrote:

> however, I am noticing a
> drop-off in the service quality of the TDMA network.

Some folks I work with have been saying the same thing.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:58:01 PM

In article <1100029350.366002.48950@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"B.Good" <bgooduu@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I currently have a 450-minute family plan with free text messages and
> unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling for $59.99/mo FOR 4 PHONES.
> Cingular has nothing even close to that price; however, I am noticing a
> drop-off in the service quality of the TDMA network. I am toying with
> the idea of signing up for their new Cingular Nation family plan 850,
> despite its higher costs.
>
> I have a few concerns. One is what is the fine print on the "no long
> distance, no roaming ever" claim. I have read a few posts where people
> claim that they are STILL being billed long distance and roaming
> charges.
>
> Another issue is coverage on the new network. At least one of these
> phones will be used extensively in Fauquier, Stafford, Fredericksburg,
> and Spotsylvania Virginia. My current TDMA coverage is adequate in
> these areas, but I am concerned about GSM coverage.
>
> Finally, the guy at the Cingular store says if I am unhappy with my new
> service, I can go back to the old plan. I have heard from various
> acquaintances that once Cingular moves you off a discontinued plan,
> they WILL NOT put you back on it.
> Constructive feedback welcomed!

Have the manager of the Cingular store put it in writing that you can go
back.
November 9, 2004 10:58:02 PM

Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote
> Have the manager of the Cingular store put it in writing that you can go
> back.

The store manager is a very small fish in the Cingular pond. Even if
you had a legal recourse, it would cost you more than it's worth to
experiment this way.

Either find a friend with Cingular GSM and drive around to your
favorite haunts for a long afternoon, or get a pre-paid kit and drive
around for a few weeks. If you don't like the service, sell the phone
to a friend or e-bay it.

tg.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 11:10:06 PM

There's two types of "Cingular Stores"-

(1)- Cingular owned Stores

(2)- Authorized Agent for Cingular -

The Only way the Agent stores gets paid is if they write a new Contract- Or
sell you an accessory, etc.

My point being- once you sign that new Contract, you're stuck with it. The
Agent "Stores" will tell you anything to get you to sign a new Contract.

BTW- I have a No long Distance, no Roaming plan- and I haven't been charged
for either.

It means what it says :-)

Just be sure you deal with a real company owned Cingular Store.

"B.Good" <bgooduu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a 450-minute family plan with free text messages and
> unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling for $59.99/mo FOR 4 PHONES.
> Cingular has nothing even close to that price; however, I am noticing a
> drop-off in the service quality of the TDMA network. I am toying with
> the idea of signing up for their new Cingular Nation family plan 850,
> despite its higher costs.
>
> I have a few concerns. One is what is the fine print on the "no long
> distance, no roaming ever" claim. I have read a few posts where people
> claim that they are STILL being billed long distance and roaming
> charges.
>
> Another issue is coverage on the new network. At least one of these
> phones will be used extensively in Fauquier, Stafford, Fredericksburg,
> and Spotsylvania Virginia. My current TDMA coverage is adequate in
> these areas, but I am concerned about GSM coverage.
>
> Finally, the guy at the Cingular store says if I am unhappy with my new
> service, I can go back to the old plan. I have heard from various
> acquaintances that once Cingular moves you off a discontinued plan,
> they WILL NOT put you back on it.
> Constructive feedback welcomed!
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 5:48:10 AM

In <60c41fe3.0411091829.1068c3c7@posting.google.com> on 9 Nov 2004 18:29:10
-0800, glaabtom@netscape.net (tom glaab) wrote:

>Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote

>> Have the manager of the Cingular store put it in writing that you can go
>> back.
>
>The store manager is a very small fish in the Cingular pond. Even if
>you had a legal recourse, it would cost you more than it's worth to
>experiment this way.

If it's a real Cingular store (not a reseller), then the written promise of
the store manager is presumptively binding on the company.

November 10, 2004 11:05:52 AM

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote
> If it's a real Cingular store (not a reseller), then the written promise of
> the store manager is presumptively binding on the company.

While this is legally true, it's a lot cheaper and easier to get a
friend or a prepaid phone and test the coverage yourself.

Based on the horror stories posted to this group, any "victory" you
win over Cingular will be at a terrible cost to yourself.

tg.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 11:38:12 AM

I stopped by a different Cingular store last night and was told that
once I transfer, I can NEVER go back. Apparently the other store is an
authorized reseller, though it did not appear to be so.

So, I guess all I can do is try the prepaid or something else.
Actually, I may have one family member sign up for a new GSM plan, try
it for two weeks, and then return it and cancel the contract. Then
we'll know if we should switch.

Thanks for the replies.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 12:29:30 PM

I stopped by a different Cingular store last night and was told that
once I transfer, I can NEVER go back. Apparently the other store is an
authorized reseller, though it did not appear to be so.

So, I guess all I can do is try the prepaid or something else.
Actually, I may have one family member sign up for a new GSM plan, try
it for two weeks, and then return it and cancel the contract. Then
we'll know if we should switch.

Thanks for the replies.
November 10, 2004 3:50:08 PM

> I stopped by a different Cingular store last night and was told that
> once I transfer, I can NEVER go back. Apparently the other store is an
> authorized reseller, though it did not appear to be so.
>
> So, I guess all I can do is try the prepaid or something else.
> Actually, I may have one family member sign up for a new GSM plan, try
> it for two weeks, and then return it and cancel the contract. Then
> we'll know if we should switch.
>
> Thanks for the replies.

That is correct- once you give up plans that are no longer being sold, you
can't go back. Also- be careful with your 2 week trial. The phone must be
returned like new, all manuals, packing materials, box, etc. included (so
they can re-sell it), and YOU CAN'T HAVE MORE THAN 30 MINUTES OF CALL TIME
ON THE PHONE!!! Read the contract!
!