My current system:

- AMD X2 64
- 1GB + 512MB SDRAM DDR400
- Asus V9999 GeForce 6800GT (AGP)
- SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Pro
- One ATA disk, two sata disks, dvd-rom
- DFI Lanparty UT nF3 ultra-d motherboard
- Eurotech 560W PSU

Computer keeps crashing. Re-installing XP does not work as setup keeps rebooting during the installing devices bit.

Tried everything: removing one dimm, then the other, unplugging all disks, removing soundblaster, etc, etc.

Two things come to mind: PSU sucks big time, needs replacement. DFI mobo is crap, needs replacement.

Since I own an AGP 6800GT that cost me 1/3 of my salary I can't see myself going PCI express... sadly.

Can anyone help me choose a decent PSU for my system and a new mobo that doesn't suck as hard as DFI? (chipset cooler fan burned out after 5 months, had to be replaced).

I'd appreciate any help in either figuring out why XP won't install, why computer keeps crashing OR remodelling my system to improve it, while keeping at least the CPU and RAM, and preferably video card.

Thanks.

macacoraivoso

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Yep, I got memtest and have run it in the past to no result.

I'll give it another go though, I gotta put some ideas together and try them out during the weekend.

Thanks

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Well since you are usiing an older motherboard it may be time to upgrade. Good luck finding one with AGP. It may be best to go ahead and upgrade to PCI-e while your at it. Everything else you can keep the same.

AsRock Dual939 SATA II

AGP and PCI-E and upgradable to AM2 for $30.

Oh yeah, it only costs $66.