Any Way to Make Disk Read-Only to Windows 2000?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 11, 2004 5:32:15 PM

I want to have a second computer have read-only access to data on a fibre
channel disk system. I cannot allow two computers to have simultaneous
write access to the drive, or it will trash the disk. Is there a way to
make a disk read-only to the Windows 2000 OS?

Note that this is NOT about user permissions on the file system!!! I need
to make sure that the OS itself cannot write to the drive volume information
as well as making any changes to the logical volumes on the drive.

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

AFAIK It is not possible, unless the Storage Provider has proprietary
software to perform the access.

We use Fibre Attached Storage and the HBA cards always have software
(powerpath / geospan / cluster service) that prevents the 2 servers sharing
the disk array from accessing it at the same time to prevent corruption of
the data, normally the cluster service is involved also, the disk is
configured as a cluster resource, and the active node gets access.

If the HBA or the Node fails then the failover process happens and the
inactive node takes ownership and brings the resource on line again.

rgds
Steve

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
message news:%23GNrH4DmEHA.2380@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...