good printer for a photobooth?

wrybread

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for a good printer for a
photobooth? I think the pro ones use Dye Sublimation printers. Anyone
know of an affordable one?

I know one that is used is a Mitsubishi cp9000dw, but it costs $1500,
which I think is a bit excessive.

I'm trying to use a Canon Pixma IP4000 now, and with a CIS system it
works great on ink, but it can only hold about 100 sheets at a time,
which is too little.

Anyone have any tips?

For way less than the cost of a good dye sub, you could set up a bank of
iP4000's if space isn't an issue. Supplies for dye subs are also expensive.
Unless the printers are left unattended, even having two iP4000's should
help out with the paper capacity issue.
--
Ron

<wrybread@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for a good printer for a
> photobooth? I think the pro ones use Dye Sublimation printers. Anyone
> know of an affordable one?
>
> I know one that is used is a Mitsubishi cp9000dw, but it costs $1500,
> which I think is a bit excessive.
>
> I'm trying to use a Canon Pixma IP4000 now, and with a CIS system it
> works great on ink, but it can only hold about 100 sheets at a time,
> which is too little.
>
> Anyone have any tips?

wrybread

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005

Yeah I was thinking about doing that, especially since IP3000s are dirt
cheap ($50 or so) now, and they work great for pics.

But it just seems so crazy that a dye sub is $1500. I know they use
them in commercial photobooths, and they sell the entire unit for $5k,
so I'm guessing they have some cheaper printer than $1.5k.