Restore overwritten files

By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by thumbnails.
Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the original images? I
already performed a system recovery, only to find out that it did not
influence files.
5 answers Last reply
More about restore overwritten files

    Hi,

    No, there is no such function. Deleted files can often be recovered, but you
    overwrote the originals which is much worse. Chances are good that they are
    gone, but you can try a recovery tool:

    This one here works quite well for basic file recovery:
    http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by
    > thumbnails. Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the original
    > images? I already performed a system recovery, only to find out that it
    > did not influence files.

    Have you tried using System Restore and picking a restore point before the
    change?

    "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by
    > thumbnails. Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the original
    > images? I already performed a system recovery, only to find out that it
    > did not influence files.

    Yes I have, but System Restore does not concern documents but rather setting
    and windows files.

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> schreef in bericht
    > Have you tried using System Restore and picking a restore point before the
    > change?
    >
    > "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by
    >> thumbnails. Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the original
    >> images? I already performed a system recovery, only to find out that it
    >> did not influence files.

    I realize that, but I could not tell from your description whether by
    thumbnails you were referring to the size of the images or simply the iconic
    representation, which is a setting.

    > Yes I have, but System Restore does not concern documents but rather
    > setting and windows files.
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> schreef in bericht
    >> Have you tried using System Restore and picking a restore point before
    >> the change?
    >>
    >> "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by
    >>> thumbnails. Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the
    >>> original images? I already performed a system recovery, only to find out
    >>> that it did not influence files.

    Oh sorry, I meant the files themselves.

    Marien

    >I realize that, but I could not tell from your description whether by
    >thumbnails you were referring to the size of the images or simply the
    >iconic representation, which is a setting.
    >
    > "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes I have, but System Restore does not concern documents but rather
    >> setting and windows files.
    >>
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> schreef in bericht
    >>> Have you tried using System Restore and picking a restore point before
    >>> the change?
    >>>
    >>> "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message

System Recovery Microsoft Windows XP