Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Restore overwritten files

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:26:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by thumbnails.
Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the original images? I
already performed a system recovery, only to find out that it did not
influence files.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:26:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

No, there is no such function. Deleted files can often be recovered, but you
overwrote the originals which is much worse. Chances are good that they are
gone, but you can try a recovery tool:

This one here works quite well for basic file recovery:
http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cm530r$mni$1@reader13.wxs.nl...
> By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by
> thumbnails. Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the original
> images? I already performed a system recovery, only to find out that it
> did not influence files.
>
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:26:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Have you tried using System Restore and picking a restore point before the
change?

"Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cm530r$mni$1@reader13.wxs.nl...
> By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by
> thumbnails. Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the original
> images? I already performed a system recovery, only to find out that it
> did not influence files.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:24:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Yes I have, but System Restore does not concern documents but rather setting
and windows files.

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> schreef in bericht
news:e9RldtCwEHA.1984@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Have you tried using System Restore and picking a restore point before the
> change?
>
> "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:cm530r$mni$1@reader13.wxs.nl...
>> By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by
>> thumbnails. Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the original
>> images? I already performed a system recovery, only to find out that it
>> did not influence files.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:24:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I realize that, but I could not tell from your description whether by
thumbnails you were referring to the size of the images or simply the iconic
representation, which is a setting.

"Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cm5rgn$7th$1@reader13.wxs.nl...
> Yes I have, but System Restore does not concern documents but rather
> setting and windows files.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> schreef in bericht
> news:e9RldtCwEHA.1984@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Have you tried using System Restore and picking a restore point before
>> the change?
>>
>> "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:cm530r$mni$1@reader13.wxs.nl...
>>> By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by
>>> thumbnails. Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the
>>> original images? I already performed a system recovery, only to find out
>>> that it did not influence files.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 5:15:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Oh sorry, I meant the files themselves.

Marien

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> schreef in bericht
news:eedu8KHwEHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I realize that, but I could not tell from your description whether by
>thumbnails you were referring to the size of the images or simply the
>iconic representation, which is a setting.
>
> "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:cm5rgn$7th$1@reader13.wxs.nl...
>> Yes I have, but System Restore does not concern documents but rather
>> setting and windows files.
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> schreef in bericht
>> news:e9RldtCwEHA.1984@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Have you tried using System Restore and picking a restore point before
>>> the change?
>>>
>>> "Marien van den Berg" <marienvandenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:cm530r$mni$1@reader13.wxs.nl...
>>>> By mistake, I yesterday overwrote a folder with large images by
>>>> thumbnails. Does windows XP provide a possibility to restore the
>>>> original images? I already performed a system recovery, only to find
>>>> out that it did not influence files.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!