Sign in with
Your question

Amd x2 4400

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2006 1:54:05 PM

Okay, first off hello to everyone....

Now, I am new to the world of upgrading computers so please be gentle.

I pulled out my amd 3200 and dropped in an x2 4400.

MB is a Gigabyte K8NSC-939...Installation ws easy enough...

No OC at all....when running Prime95...I get an error like 2 seconds in..
Tried running Orthos and get errors 2 seconds in...when just stressing the cpu it will run over an hour or so then pop an error...It now randomly locks up and I need to restart the machine. Ran Valves stress test fine (picked up 22 fps) but playing CS:S online, it will crash to the desktop.

Running Core Temp shows the temp at idle around 30c...when running orthos for about 15min, its around 40-43c....also, core temp only shows the temp for 1 core, 2nd core is grayed out???..is this normal?

Should probably running memtest to see if mem is a problem, but it was fine with the 3200...Ram is OCZ....2 sticks 512 and 1 stick 1gig for 2gb total...could that be a problem? Its the same model ram, same timings just different sizes.

Power supply is a Mad Dog 550w....Maybe this is an issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Gary

More about : amd 4400

September 1, 2006 2:18:13 PM

try a BIOS upgrade many motherboards required a BIOS upgrade for the X2s to work properly another thing that could be the problem, have you installed the AMD driver for X2?
September 1, 2006 2:21:26 PM

I would certainly check the RAM with memtest. I had a similar problem with faulty RAM. Also as you have put a new motherboard in it could be possible that the pins the motherboard have slotted into are causing a short circuit with the mainboard. I had this problem when I upgraded my mothers computer, it keep locking up at random. If the case is an older model then it might be worth considering.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 2:26:21 PM

Did you update the HAL? Device manager should show ACPI Multiprocessor PC under computer.
September 1, 2006 2:29:53 PM

its is not a new MB....same board for over a year now.

Has the latest bios...did that before I installed CPU.

x2 drivers? Umm no...where are they?
September 1, 2006 2:31:48 PM

Quote:
Did you update the HAL? Device manager should show ACPI Multiprocessor PC under computer.

Did not...I will check this when I get home. When I reinstalled windows a few months ago I set it up as a standard PC.

How do I update the HAL?

edit: I see. I need to reinstall windows....ugh!!
September 1, 2006 2:41:06 PM

Quote:

Tried running Orthos and get errors 2 seconds in...when just stressing the cpu it will run over an hour or so then pop an error...It now randomly locks up and I need to restart the machine. Ran Valves stress test fine (picked up 22 fps) but playing CS:S online, it will crash to the desktop.

Running Core Temp shows the temp at idle around 30c...when running orthos for about 15min, its around 40-43c....also, core temp only shows the temp for 1 core, 2nd core is grayed out???..is this normal?

Should probably running memtest to see if mem is a problem, but it was fine with the 3200...Ram is OCZ....2 sticks 512 and 1 stick 1gig for 2gb total...could that be a problem? Its the same model ram, same timings just different sizes.

Gary

First, doublecheck that the motherboard supports a X2 design cpu. It may not. Even if it does, you may have to enable it in the BIOS. Another thing is that you may have to reinstall Windows so the entire O/S knows the X2 is there.

The fact that only one core is being shown indicates a problem. Either your motherboard/BIOS is not recognizing the extra core, or the cpu is bad. If the motherboard, BIOS, and a reinstall of Windows doesn't help, you should probably RMA the new cpu. In fact, you should probably call tech support and tell them about the problem. They might have a known proceedure for correct installation of the cpu that I haven't covered or they might tell you to RMA it immediately.

Your ram is unbalanced and is a problem. All the sticks should be the same size and balanced as 2 sticks or 4 sticks. Your present setup shouldn't prevent the system from working, just that it won't preform as well as it should. If you haven't changed the ram when putting in the new cpu, it should not be causing any additional problems.
September 1, 2006 2:51:23 PM

Quote:

Gary

First, doublecheck that the motherboard supports a X2 design cpu. It may not. Even if it does, you may have to enable it in the BIOS. Another thing is that you may have to reinstall Windows so the entire O/S knows the X2 is there.

The fact that only one core is being shown indicates a problem. Either your motherboard/BIOS is not recognizing the extra core, or the cpu is bad. If the motherboard, BIOS, and a reinstall of Windows doesn't help, you should probably RMA the new cpu. In fact, you should probably call tech support and tell them about the problem. They might have a known proceedure for correct installation of the cpu that I haven't covered or they might tell you to RMA it immediately.

Your ram is unbalanced and is a problem. All the sticks should be the same size and balanced as 2 sticks or 4 sticks. Your present setup shouldn't prevent the system from working, just that it won't preform as well as it should. If you haven't changed the ram when putting in the new cpu, it should not be causing any additional problems.

Yeah, I made sure the MB supports x2..

ima remove the offending stick of ram and reinstall windows and see how that goes.

Thanks for the help guys
September 1, 2006 3:07:09 PM

Please realize something else: once you ordered the CPU, the return clock started ticking.

Here is (as an example) Newegg's CPU return policy for OEM and Retail CPUs:

Quote:
Refund period: 7 days from original invoice date.
Replacement period: 30 days from original invoice date.

Notice how it says "from original invoice date", not from when you cracked open the shipping box at your home.

So whatever you do, whatever your troubleshooting procedure, do it quickly. Food for thought, that's all.
September 1, 2006 3:11:31 PM

Thanks.....I did purchase from Newegg....
September 1, 2006 3:15:42 PM

Quote:

Did not...I will check this when I get home. When I reinstalled windows a few months ago I set it up as a standard PC.

How do I update the HAL?

edit: I see. I need to reinstall windows....ugh!!

You may be able to go into device manager, select "standard PC" and update it to ACPI Multiprocessor PC. Failing that, you will probably require a reinstall of the OS.
September 1, 2006 3:21:05 PM

Quote:

The fact that only one core is being shown indicates a problem. Either your motherboard/BIOS is not recognizing the extra core, or the cpu is bad.

If you are not using a multiprocessor HAL, only one core will show up in Windows. Of course your mobo & bios must also support dual cores.
September 1, 2006 3:40:08 PM

Sell all your memory and buy a matched pair of 1GB stix. or at least sell your 512's and buy another (same as the one your have)1gb stix so you are running duel channel 2GB. Shouldnt help your problem but its the best thing to do in regards to memory.
September 1, 2006 4:06:01 PM

I did an upgrade like yours recently and the FIRST thing I did even before the CPU swap was Flash my Bio's to the latest Rev. Then just swapped CPU's and powered-up with no problem. If you don’t flash the bio’s, at least clear the CMOS. I didn’t even have to install the latest AMD drivers or the Microsoft HotFix. But you might want to give both a try. If you have Cool & Quiet enabled in your Bios’ you might want to disable it as it has been known to cause problems. However the above mentioned drivers/HotFix should fix the problem. Also do you have XP/SP2 with all the patches?
This link is an How-To guide for X2 upgrades.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81...
September 1, 2006 6:16:23 PM

I have the latest bios and xp w/sp2 and all updates....updated the bios before the cpu swap...and yes the motherboard can handle x2 cpu's.

If there was an issue with the heatsink and fan I would assume the temps would be higher then 30c at idle/40-45 under load correct?

When it crashes out of cs:s I get a "hl2 has encountered and problem" message...when it locks up and I reboot i get a "windows has recovered from a serious error" messasge. Im gonna reinstall windows and remove some ram and Ill post back later.

Thanks again guys
September 2, 2006 2:02:34 AM

okay....

I reinstalled windows....now both cores are present...whew!!!
Removed the gig of ram (running 2x512 now) and ran prime95 for an hour....no errors...whew!!
The temp while testing was around 48-54c....does this seem high for a non OC CPU? Idle is 29-31c. Used core temp so I know those could be high or low...so....

Stock HSF...as I do not plan on OC'ing...
!