Sign in with
Your question

Monitor response time for gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2006 2:08:20 PM

I just built a new PC. The guy at my local PC parts store recommended an Acer 19" Wide Screen LCD with 8ms response time. The display I wanted had 4 response time, but it was out of stock.

What sort of response time should I be looking for if I plan to game? I hooked up the display last night to my PC I had just built the graphics were beautiful, but often times there were horizantal lines when the image was panning. I don't know if it was the graphics card or the monitor.
September 1, 2006 4:02:34 PM

Could be one of the 2. What are the temps of your video card? Usually something along the lines of a 5ms response time or lower is adequate for gaming. 8ms is usual for most monitors.
September 1, 2006 6:37:57 PM

Actually, that monitor died this morning. Maybe it's junk! Thanks for your help, but it looks like I'll be returning the monitor.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 7:13:37 PM

Quote:
Actually, that monitor died this morning. Maybe it's junk! Thanks for your help, but it looks like I'll be returning the monitor.

make sure you give the guy a smack for recommending that monitor lol
September 1, 2006 7:23:03 PM

What do you recommend? I wasN'T excited about buying an Acer product, but they were low on stock.
September 1, 2006 7:27:22 PM

Do not trust the specs blindly. Different brands use diferent methods of calculating response time. Some use black to black, some use grey to grey, etc... Furthermore, many brands exaggerate their specs.

However, as a reference point, I use a 20" Apple Cinema Display with a stated response time of 16ms and have never noticed any ghosting whatsoever in the games I play. This includes many fast pace shooters such as CS:S, BF2, UT2kF, FEAR, etc... I can wholeheartedly reccomend the Apple line of Cinema Display LCDs. Their quality control is unsurpassed. I have never seen one with a dead pixel or backlight problems. Moreover, the colour accuracy, contrast and brightness is unsurpassed.

Your best bet is to never buy a monitor without testing it out in person first. Let your eyes be the judge.
September 1, 2006 7:32:49 PM

Actually, that sounds like image tearing; now I realize your monitor just died, but in a normal situation you will require Vertical sync to remove image tearing.
September 1, 2006 7:34:15 PM

By the way, I meant I WASN"t excited about buying an Acer product. Typo!

I'll have to check that one out. The guy told me that 8ms response time would be good enough. I didn't think he was right!

Thanks!
September 1, 2006 7:38:22 PM

Is 8ms response time anything to be excited about?

What should I look for for gaming? The one you recommended was 2ms.

I think I'll exchange the Acer and order the BENQ. I'll take the Acer back when the BENQ gets in.
September 1, 2006 8:45:35 PM

I have had good experiences with samsung, I have a 731B with 8MS and it plays games with NO ghosting
September 2, 2006 2:15:18 AM

Quote:
I just built a new PC. The guy at my local PC parts store recommended an Acer 19" Wide Screen LCD with 8ms response time. The display I wanted had 4 response time, but it was out of stock.

What sort of response time should I be looking for if I plan to game? I hooked up the display last night to my PC I had just built the graphics were beautiful, but often times there were horizantal lines when the image was panning. I don't know if it was the graphics card or the monitor.

I own the Samsung Syncmaster 204B. Its a 20' LCD with 5ms response time. I didnt get any dead pixels or ghosting problems when i set up the monitor, and havent had any whatsoever. Highly recommend this thing. Last time i checked, it was 300 at bestbuy, but not sure if it was on sale or not.
September 2, 2006 5:59:39 AM

Quote:
Is 8ms response time anything to be excited about?

What should I look for for gaming? The one you recommended was 2ms.

I think I'll exchange the Acer and order the BENQ. I'll take the Acer back when the BENQ gets in.

GET A CRT!!!!

lol. that way you won't have to worry about performance and only ttumours in your head! :twisted:

On a serious note, i'm getting the viewsonic E90FB 19in crt, but the samsung equivalent is good, i just didn't like the look of it off the screen.

PS. Thought id add a funny story. My monitor is from 98' its a 15 inch crt. The refrsh rate has always been set to the max of 65 but the other day i tried it at 45, and i almost puked after about 10 secs of looking at it. It LOOKED fine but my nausia tells me it wasn't great. :wink:
September 2, 2006 11:22:27 AM

Personally, I went for the contrast ratio over response, since I have medical issues with my sight. I got an LG....

Here it is....

I got 0 dead pixels, amazing color, good brightness, and good range of display on it. It works for me.....
!