Error 31 when trying to format SD card

January 9, 2005 9:19:01 PM

I have a iPAQ 3950, when I insert the SD card I get the usual question if I
want to format it, I answer yes and then get the following error "An error
occurred while formatting the storage card folder (error 31), I have tried
this card in 2 other units, a 3800 series ipaq and a Axim, neither have a
problem with it and it formats fine, I put it back into my 3950 and still get
the error31. I was getting a error 0 before I updated the ROM to 1.11 from
1.10 and applied the SD driver SP25682. I am going bald with frustration, can
anyone help?

More about : error format card

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:56:34 AM

Reply to message from "Just4gs" <Just4gs@discussions.microsoft.com> (Sun,
09 Jan 2005 22:19:01) about ""Error 31 when trying to format SD card"":

J> I have a iPAQ 3950, when I insert the SD card I get the usual question
J> if I want to format it, I answer yes and then get the following error
J> "An error occurred while formatting the storage card folder (error 31),
J> I have tried this card in 2 other units, a 3800 series ipaq and a Axim,
J> neither have a problem with it and it formats fine, I put it back into
J> my 3950 and still get the error31. I was getting a error 0 before I
J> updated the ROM to 1.11 from
J> 1.10 and applied the SD driver SP25682. I am going bald with
J> frustration, can anyone help?

What format are you using, fat 32, 16, 12?
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:39:01 PM

no idea what format, its what ever iPAQ uses this is on PPC 2002, the error
occurs when the ipaq tries to format the SD card.

"xTenn" wrote:

> Reply to message from "Just4gs" <Just4gs@discussions.microsoft.com> (Sun,
> 09 Jan 2005 22:19:01) about ""Error 31 when trying to format SD card"":
>
> J> I have a iPAQ 3950, when I insert the SD card I get the usual question
> J> if I want to format it, I answer yes and then get the following error
> J> "An error occurred while formatting the storage card folder (error 31),
> J> I have tried this card in 2 other units, a 3800 series ipaq and a Axim,
> J> neither have a problem with it and it formats fine, I put it back into
> J> my 3950 and still get the error31. I was getting a error 0 before I
> J> updated the ROM to 1.11 from
> J> 1.10 and applied the SD driver SP25682. I am going bald with
> J> frustration, can anyone help?
>
> What format are you using, fat 32, 16, 12?

January 11, 2005 1:10:58 AM

Reply to message from "Just4gs" <Just4gs@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon,
10 Jan 2005 20:39:01) about ""Re: Error 31 when trying to format SD card"":

J> no idea what format, its what ever iPAQ uses this is on PPC 2002, the
J> error occurs when the ipaq tries to format the SD card.

A few sd cards do not like other fats, and if the new ipaq is defaulting to
one of these it *could* explain what is happening...

Can you try a different format?
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:10:59 AM

ok.... it would seem that it would be compatable with the older 3800 series
dont you think???? I guess I could find someone with a sd reader/writer and
try that route formating it different ways.... thanks

"xTenn" wrote:

> Reply to message from "Just4gs" <Just4gs@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon,
> 10 Jan 2005 20:39:01) about ""Re: Error 31 when trying to format SD card"":
>
> J> no idea what format, its what ever iPAQ uses this is on PPC 2002, the
> J> error occurs when the ipaq tries to format the SD card.
>
> A few sd cards do not like other fats, and if the new ipaq is defaulting to
> one of these it *could* explain what is happening...
>
> Can you try a different format?

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:33:34 AM

Reply to message from "Just4gs" <Just4gs@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon,
10 Jan 2005 23:21:02) about ""Re: Error 31 when trying to format SD card"":

J> ok.... it would seem that it would be compatable with the older 3800
J> series dont you think???? I guess I could find someone with a sd
J> reader/writer and try that route formating it different ways.... thanks

Why not try a trial of a storage card tool on the ppc in question ? It
might give some answers, plus you can check the card and/or format it
differently.
!