Need advice not sure on chipset

AeroX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but here it goes :D, i wanna buy a pc for my mom, she always playing games like bejeweled, super collapse and games like that, i'm in puerto rico so buying parts from newegg and such is not a option (shipping will kill me), here is the pc i'm thinking of getting:

Processor: AMD 64 Processor 3700+3, 2.2GHz, Cache: L2 Cache = 1MB
Bus Speed: 2000MHz System Bus
Memory: 1GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM Memory (expandable to 4GB)
Hard Drive: 250GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
Optical Drives: LightScribe Double Layer 16X DVD +-R/RW Drive with CD Writer Capabilities 16x DVD+R, 8x DVD-R, 4x DVD+-RW, 2.4x DVD+R DL, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 24x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM
Video Graphics: Integrated ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Graphics with 256MB shared video memory
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

any advice will be greatly apreciated

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Power supply?

I agree with the previous post about the Sempron choice, and also, unless you mom has need for a lot of space you can save some cash by dropping the hard drive to 160 or 120.

AeroX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
sweet :D want it to make sure, was one of the first one i saw i'll keep looking for the right one, is one of them office max bundles so im not sure about all the componets like the power supply and such, but i think it should not be an issue, thanks for the replys :D

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
The system listed would be great for those sort of games. You could even do some basic fun stuff like photo editing or simple home movie editing, burning and ripping CDs and DVDs, and other basic home uses.

But that's as far as it goes. You won't be able to play the newest games like Oblivion or Battle Field 2. You won't get great results on high resolution monitors. You will not be able to use the AM2 processsors or DDR2 memory... the only CPU upgrade path is in the AMD socket 939 line.

If you really don't plan on doing any high level gaming, then you are fine. If you may want to upgrade in the future, make sure that system has a PCIe slot. If it does, then you can make a very respectable gaming machine w/ just the addition of a good graphics card. Not top of the line, but respectable.

AeroX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
They have computers in the "51st state"??

uh huh :D and we got this new thing called a horseless carriage runs on a thing called gas, that btw is at 70cents a gallon so there :twisted:

AeroX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
integrated graphics not a problem then?, not planning on buying a video card for this system, not playing any of the "big games" just the ones i mention, probably a little photo editing but that about it

Fursecul

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Same advice about the CPU a Sempron is ok,some IGP is ok too and the power supply,well any 300-400W cheap power supply will do

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Same advice about the CPU a Sempron is ok,some IGP is ok too and the power supply,well any 300-400W cheap power supply will do

Disagree, while a cheap PSU will provide good enough power it is still more likely to fail even at low loads. I have to suggest a name brand PSU even with the low power requirements.

Antec makes decent PSU's that aren't too expensive, other people can probably point you to more good companies.

P.S. Fursecul, nice sig, I have a 6600GT AGP myself

Fursecul

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Thanks man,it's true you should go for a decent PSU but he didn't want to spend alot of money on it so i recomended a cheap one.