Sign in with
Your question

Intel Duo System, no display, have I done s/thing wrong?

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2006 2:27:06 PM

Hey all ill start by listing the specs;

mobo;
Abit NI8-SLI GR nVidia C19, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 667, SATA II, SATA

CPU
Intel Core 2 DUO E6400 2.13GHz 'Conroe' 2Mb Cache LGA775 (1066 Mhz)

RAM
2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC5400 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC
Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12

Graphics;
512Mb Gainward 7900GT, PCI-E (x16), Mem 1400 MHz, GPU 550 MHz, 24 Pipes

Ill leave out the Drives etc, because the problem is the fact that when ive assembled the system i power it on and theres no signal going to the monitor.

Ive built 4 systems before and this hasnt happened, the graphics card seems to be getting power (fan and lights on ) but no signal, im not sure whats preventing the video signal from reaching the monitor(and yes, its plugged in :p )

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated:) 
September 1, 2006 2:34:53 PM

Make sure the motherboard is not getting shorted out by a standoff.

Test your PSU, or try another one.
September 1, 2006 2:42:38 PM

The PSU is ok because the LED display on the motherboard says 9.0 which, according to the mobo manual is bios initialisation complete, so i was thinking if the BIOS starts up ok (this is before ive installed any OS)
why cant i see it?

Its a AeroCool 550 watt PSU btw.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 2:43:48 PM

one more thing i forgot to mention, what is a standoff?
September 1, 2006 2:47:04 PM

Quote:
one more thing i forgot to mention, what is a standoff?

a standoff is the little metal pieces about a quarter of an inch long that screws into the case, you then mount the board to the standoffs so that the board doesn't short out on the case. Most of the ones I've seen look brass in color. If you put a standoff where there wasn't a hole in the board for a screw that standoff could touch two parts on the back of the board together and cause a short.
September 1, 2006 3:14:46 PM

Quote:
Abit NI8-SLI GR

What the heck is that!?
Please, show me this mobo on the ABit list:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/lga775.php
EDIT: I have found it in the 'discontinued products' area - I do not believe this mobo supports Core Duo...
Regards
September 1, 2006 3:34:24 PM

oh my freaking gawwwd, so ur saying ive made a huge cockup and got the wrong mobo?

cheers for the info btw
September 1, 2006 3:50:38 PM

No worries, here's what you do...
Price an ABit AB9 - which has single graphics slot.
For dual-vidcards, I dunno, you're into Intel975 chipset or some newer models coming with nForce and ATI chipsets.
But for 1 vidcard AB9 is a treat...
If you cannot return that mobo you have, you can stick a D-805 in there and get it going on the cheap (make it saleable or whatever).
Don't be too hard on yourself, these things happen...
L8R
September 1, 2006 3:52:33 PM

currently newegg has 163 socket 775 boards of those 29 can run the core 2 duo, as far as I know wether the board can run a core 2 duo is determined by the northbridge and the bios
September 1, 2006 3:56:56 PM

Quote:
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=605806 this processor has sopcket LGA775 which is what the motherboard i bought has, why would it be incompatible?

The specific issue is Voltage - only compatible models supply the new Intel CPUs correctly.
(Yikes! Good Lord - the sky is full of F-16s and the building is shaking!
No not Lebanon. It's the annual Canadian National Exhibition airshow...)
Anyway, good luck to you.
September 1, 2006 4:10:23 PM

Right so i think ive got my bearings now, so basically this motherboard I have only supports Pentium D whereas i thought it supported Core 2 Duo, so all i have to do is replace the current Pentium Core Duo with a Pentium D?

thanks for the help
September 1, 2006 4:28:22 PM

YOur not the first one to make this mistake...
!