P5B - possible to flash bios without floppy drive?

PoweredBySoy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm about the pull the trigger on a new C2D system using the Asus P5B. And like I'm hearing everywhere, flashing the bios is a must. The problem is, I don't have a floppy drive.

I'm trying to search the Asus website for technical support, but it's probably one of the slowest websites I've ever surfed. In fact, I'm not even sure it's working anymore. :?

So I come to you guys to ask: is there an alternative way to flash these Asus boards?

Thanks.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Thing is, can you boot without the new bios? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH

I think the P5B supports the Core 2 right out of the box, so you should be fine. Otherwise you might need some good friends with a socket 775 processor =)

pelewis2

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
At least with my pb5, it booted just fine but told me it didn't support the processor but I was able to get into the bios setup and load the newer bios no problem.

Hey guys,

I'm about the pull the trigger on a new C2D system using the Asus P5B. And like I'm hearing everywhere, flashing the bios is a must. The problem is, I don't have a floppy drive.

I'm trying to search the Asus website for technical support, but it's probably one of the slowest websites I've ever surfed. In fact, I'm not even sure it's working anymore. :?

So I come to you guys to ask: is there an alternative way to flash these Asus boards?

Thanks.

Read your manual under Updating the BIOS with the ASUS update utility. Find the correct BIOS from the ASUS website. Download the correct BIOS file from the site to your desktop. That's right, download the BIOS file from the site to your desktop. Then open the ASUS update utility. From the drop down menu, select update BIOS from a specific location. Choose the file you have downloaded onto your desktop. It's in your manual.

PoweredBySoy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
At least with my pb5, it booted just fine but told me it didn't support the processor but I was able to get into the bios setup and load the newer bios no problem.

Yep, I've just recently been reading that new owners of the P5B are reporting that the shipping bios is sufficient enough to boot a conroe chip with no problems. At least sufficient enough to easily upgrade the bios.

That's what I was worried about.

P5B ordered. =)

lp231

Splendid
The P5B has one of the best bios update options I've ever seen.
All you need is a usb flash drive and that's it.

To access the BIOS utility all you need to do is
go to the BIOS itself and inside there is a category
called EZ-Flash 2 or something.

Once you are in, it will asked if you want to launch the utility.
Click Yes and you be immediately prompt with a dos type
browser window. From there you can browse for your updated bios file
and update your mobo.

No Afudos or other special utilities are needed. :)