• 2 %
  • 3501 - 4000$
  • 6 %
  • 4001 - 4500$
  • 2 %
  • 4501 - 5000$
  • 2 %
September 1, 2006 3:21:23 PM

A. How much time you spent to build it ?

B. In the range 1 to 10 which is 1 is totally difficult and 10 is totally easy, how hard/easy was it when you build your rig ?

C. In the range 1 to 10 which is 1 is the worst and 10 is the best, how please and happy you are with your rig right now ?

D. How much will you spend for upgrading or buying a new rig ?

More about : rig costs

September 1, 2006 3:31:55 PM

I haven't built a computer yet (waiting for Windows Vista and the DirectX10 Video Cards next year). I plan to have a smooth upgrade path that won't require me to fork over more money than I need to. I do not plan to spend more than $1800 on this machine, and would like to keep adding and replacing parts to it over the course of four to five years (if that is realistic). I'll give the old parts to my brother in a separate computer case later on as a gift so he won't have to pay for his own.

You seem to be wondering whether or not it is worth building your own machine.

From what I gather on the forums, you need the following things in order to be a happy computer builder:
- Patience
- Be quick to Return Defective Merchandise (R.M.A.) to the vendor if certain parts fail to work properly and all other attempts to make it work fail
- Know where to put cables (be able to read the instruction manuals)
- Have a separate machine handy with Internet access for help with trouble-shooting

People say that you pop in the parts like they are LEGOs, but you also have to be careful to not let the electricity built up in your body zap the motherboard. They sell these wristbands that you wire-connect to the computer case to ground the electricity in your body so that it doesn't hurt the motherboard. You also have to be careful about the motherboard touching the case--you don't let it!

Good luck on your builds and be a happy computer builder. :D 
September 1, 2006 3:40:52 PM

a: 3 weeks....only cause i had to wait for the vid card

b: id say an 8 only cause of the damn cables everywhere

c: 8 only cause i got it a very short time before the AM2 socket...sigh

d: eleventy billion dollars
Related resources
September 1, 2006 3:41:29 PM

I have my rig already. P5P800SE, P4D 930 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 7800GS extreme, DVD-Writer and DVD-ROM. I spent 4 hours to build and installing, I give 9 on how hard to build my rig, i give 10 on how happy and please i am with my rig and i will spend around 8500$ for my next rig.

I just want to know, peoples experiences with their rig and do they feel happy after what they spent.
September 1, 2006 3:45:38 PM

Quote:
I have my rig already. P5P800SE, P4D 930 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 7800GS extreme, DVD-Writer and DVD-ROM. I spent 4 hours to build and installing, I give 9 on how hard to build my rig, i give 10 on how happy and please i am with my rig and i will spend around 8500$ for my next rig.

I just want to know, peoples experiences with their rig and do they feel happy after what they spent.

i hope it turns into a transformer for that much lol
September 1, 2006 3:50:47 PM

Yeah...it's possible. 8500$ is including 32 inch display though. I want to make a media center. But i don't know when will realized. :lol: 
September 1, 2006 4:05:00 PM

I spent about $3500 for everything to include monitor and other input devices.
September 1, 2006 4:18:02 PM

Quote:

i hope it turns into a transformer for that much lol

Jeez, it better pay your taxes and get the morning paper too. Or else it isnt worth it :p 
September 1, 2006 4:24:45 PM

Quote:

B. In the range 1 to 10 which is 1 is totally difficult and 10 is totally easy, how hard/easy was it when you build your rig ?

C. In the range 1 to 10 which is 1 is the worst and 10 is the best, how please and happy you are with your rig right now ?

Replyling to the topic. For Desk, monitor, speakers, and Rig, spent roughly 3800.

A. Took me 5 hours(had a friend help me, it was me 1st time, took long mostly to find a way to move the extra wires someplace)

B. I had help, but i did a good portion. I would say 7 mostly becuase of trying to tie the extra wires somewhere.

C. Im gonna say 10. Im very satisfied with my system. Ill post my specs at the end.

D. I hope to spend under 3000 next time, just for the tower and parts. Some things i will try to re-use again though.

Specs:
Coolermaster Aquagate liquid CPU radiator/fan
2x1GB Corsair Valueselect
2 MSI 7900GTXs SLi
Asus Physix P1 accelerator card
X-fi Xtrememusic
Maxtor 300GB
Sony DVD rom
BenQ CD/DVD rom
Aspire 680w
4 TT 80mm fans
Logitech G15
Logitech G5
Creative P7800 7.1 surround sound Speakers
Cyber Acoustics Headset/Microphone
Samsung Syncmaster 204B 20' 5ms Response Time
Office desk

Im happy :D 
September 1, 2006 5:46:04 PM

A- About 12 hours because a lot of expensive parts requires a lot of double checking each step plus at least 3 hours in cable management and a couple of hours fooling around in bios plus a couple of hours migrating all the damn game saves, photos, financial stuff etc.

B - 5 had a lot of stuff and a big ps to install in a P180 case which presented some challenges

C - 8.23619 fans kinda loud and conroe envy (soon to be corrected)

D- $4-5K
September 2, 2006 11:11:55 AM

Cables are annoying !!!
September 2, 2006 11:16:04 AM

Does PhysX treat you well ? Does it really amazing on Games ?
September 2, 2006 1:52:21 PM

A. I'm alwas upgrading so it never ends but the initial build took and hour or so. My cost was around $470 8 months ago for opty 146, x1800lx,msi k8n sli board and a 80gb sata hard drive. It's a gaming only settup and most parts where bught on ebay.
B. I would say a 2 so far but now I have to rip it down an add the new vid and cpu heat sinks.
C. 5 mostly cus of the crappy powmax :evil:  psu I got in a pinch but also
1. never got the other gig of ram.
2. I was dumb anuf to buy a clear acrylic case no place to hide anything.
3. The opty can't get past 2.85( the psu I think, temps are good).
4. never got the other hard drive for raid.
5. would like a new vid card.
6. never hooked up the water cooling.
7. have no time to use it
D. For my next build the range will be what ever I can get for my older parts on ebay( I have kids an a shitty job).
September 2, 2006 2:29:23 PM

cheer up man...
September 2, 2006 5:27:48 PM

A ) It took me about 3 hours to fully assemble it, it was my first time and I was doing a total build from the ground up with everything new. The P-180 is a bit hard to do the first time around due to the poor documentation and the vast features it has.

B) 7 out of 10, it was the first time every completely building a PC for me. I have upgraded before but never started out with a pile of boxes. If I had to rebuild the same one it would take an hour and a half and be a 10 out of 10.

C) 8 out of 10, the system is nice but I got a bad opteron stepping for overclocking, getting only to 2.43ghz. But even at 1.8ghz this thing creamed my old celeron 2.0ghz northwood machine.... check my sig and then pit it aginst a 2.0 celery, radeon 9200, 60gb hard drive with 512mb of ram.

D) This system will "probably" be able to be upgraded to last me through my next 4 years of college. The only things I should need to do is add in my spare 120GB IDE hard drive giving me 440GB of space, and hope that their are affordable DX-10 PCI-E video cards. Ill stick with this X1800XT until atleast 2008.

Overall im pretty happy with my rig, not the best thing out there and I spent more then I had to. I didnt print out the rebates that you get on newegg.com ( I thoguht they sent them to you with your stuff ), and they stuck it to me on shipping. So I spent $100 more due to lost rebates and I paid $220 for a monitor.... most people dont figure montior money in.
September 2, 2006 5:54:52 PM

Quote:

A. about 1 hour maby less.

B. 8 PSU wires gave me a bit of trouble with the PSU cage.

C. 10 no complaints i love my rig.

D. i only plan to upgrade the vid card when the DX10 cards comeout so around 300-400 pound.

my rig cost ~£1,278 dont kno what that is in dollars.

EDIT

my next project when i have my own place next year will to turn my current rig into a server, and build a media center that connects wirelessly to it, with a 42inch plasma screen and full surround sound. at the moment my media center is my laptop plugged into a old jvc 28 inch widescreen.
September 2, 2006 5:55:10 PM

E6600 C2D OC @ 3.0GHz
Zalman 9500LED
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
2X1GB OCV Plat rev2 DDR-800
HIS X1900XT IceQ3
WD Raptor 74.5GB
WD Cavier SE16 250GB
SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT
Lite-on DVD-DL 16X
Logitech G7 Mouse
MS Natural KB

Total Cost: ~2100 after taxes/shipping

Build Time: ~hour maybe?

Happy?: 1680X1050 resolution...Hell yea

Upgrade: ~500 for a new R600 ati card once released

Ease of build: ~8 just cause I cant get the memory to run without faults at its rated 800MHz, will be RMAing it on tuesday to try a different pair.
September 2, 2006 6:07:24 PM

Quote:

---------------------------------------------

A. My first build was last Nov., and it took me about 12 hours total. I'm the kind of guy that checks everything thrice.

B. I freaked when I realized how much pressure it took to attach the stock heatsink to the AMD 3500+. It made such a loud snapping sound that I figured I had snapped the motherboard. That was my only difficulty, so I'd say it was relatively easy.

C. I am 100% happy with it; it has worked perfectly since day one.

D. I already upgraded the video from 6600 to 7600GT.

It cost me $1625 Canadian for all parts, XP Pro, taxes and shipping. The upgraded card cost me another $263.

-Bob

----------------------------

Antec 1050B, SP 500 W, Chaintech VFN4, 2 x 80 GB SATA, 2 x 512 RAM, floppy, CD.
!