Sign in with
Your question

Graphics problem on a Leadtek 6800 TDH

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2006 3:41:47 PM

Right now, I am having issues with my 6800 TDH, it has been working fine, but recently it has begun displaying little dots across the screen. (image at end of explanation)

Now, I am compleltey out of luck in terms of displaying ANYTHING graphic intensive. Just trying to watch a video on cnn.com brings my computer to a screeching halt and forces me to restart the computer. Forget about gaming. I have narrowed it down in my head as a hardware issue since nothing has really changed in terms of software (I had madden 07 installed, but then uninstalled it, the image is also has the dots on the windows xp loading splash screen, before any software is running.)

I updated all drivers, directx, etc, and still the problem persists. I have already started talking with leadtek about getting it repaired, but I just wanted to make sure that it couldn't be something else before I sent it off for a few weeks.

Note the dots, but the odd thing is, it doesn't do it all the time, only on very specific occasions (I can't narrow it down to what it is that I am doing that does it though)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :) 
September 1, 2006 3:45:17 PM

Quote:
Right now, I am having issues with my 6800 TDH, it has been working fine, but recently it has begun displaying little dots across the screen. (image at end of explanation)

Now, I am compleltey out of luck in terms of displaying ANYTHING graphic intensive. Just trying to watch a video on cnn.com brings my computer to a screeching halt and forces me to restart the computer. Forget about gaming. I have narrowed it down in my head as a hardware issue since nothing has really changed in terms of software (I had madden 07 installed, but then uninstalled it, the image is also has the dots on the windows xp loading splash screen, before any software is running.)

I updated all drivers, directx, etc, and still the problem persists. I have already started talking with leadtek about getting it repaired, but I just wanted to make sure that it couldn't be something else before I sent it off for a few weeks.

Note the dots, but the odd thing is, it doesn't do it all the time, only on very specific occasions (I can't narrow it down to what it is that I am doing that does it though)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :) 

Give us the temps of your card. Use the Nvidia tool manager to find out. Also, post your specs of your computer, your underload temps and full load temps.
September 1, 2006 3:45:59 PM

That is a sign, my friend, of your video card dying. Those are artifacts and if they randomly show up out of the blue then that's bad. If you overclocked throughout its life then you probably ran the core too hard. If not, then the card is just dying.

Graphics cards are not built that great to begin with and they operate in very high temps.

You should send it off if it's under warranty and/or just buy a new video card if you gotta.

I would arrange funeral arrangements personally.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 3:50:22 PM

@ Enforcer- I can't give ya temps or anything like that, but my machine runs an AMD 3000+ 64 bit processor, 1 gig of ram on a DFI LanParty mobo. It has 2 120mm and 2 80mm fans, so it definetley stays cool at least. I have never had a problem with temperature on it.

@ElPolloDiablo- I was hoping it wouldn't be that, but I am more and more coming to that realization and acceptance. I am most likely gonna send it off for warranty repair/replacement and get a new card and just sell that 6800. I have never OC'd it and the worst part is I haven't even had it a year :( 
September 1, 2006 3:53:47 PM

Quote:
@ Enforcer- I can't give ya temps or anything like that, but my machine runs an AMD 3000+ 64 bit processor, 1 gig of ram on a DFI LanParty mobo. It has 2 120mm and 2 80mm fans, so it definetley stays cool at least. I have never had a problem with temperature on it.

@ElPolloDiablo- I was hoping it wouldn't be that, but I am more and more coming to that realization and acceptance. I am most likely gonna send it off for warranty repair/replacement and get a new card and just sell that 6800. I have never OC'd it and the worst part is I haven't even had it a year :( 

Where did you purchase the card? BFG offers lifetime warranties on their cards. evGa gives 3 years i believe. If you bought it in a store, its still most likely still under some sort of warranty.
September 1, 2006 3:55:39 PM

I got the card from Newegg. Like I said, already trying to work with leadtek (apparently horrible customer support on such requests) for getting it repaired and I'll just be buying a new card.

/is gonig to miss his purty video card :cry: 
September 1, 2006 3:57:46 PM

If it won't play games then you're especially fux! That is a sure sign of a video card dying.

I know I've fried a few :twisted:
September 1, 2006 3:59:41 PM

Quote:
I got the card from Newegg. Like I said, already trying to work with leadtek (apparently horrible customer support on such requests) for getting it repaired and I'll just be buying a new card.

/is gonig to miss his purty video card :cry: 

You can try unclocking, but i doubt it'll do much. The card sounds dead. Im not sure on newegg's warranty policy, but if you can, RMA the card to them. Otherwise, start looking for a new card. If you give me a price range, i can get you a adequate card.

BTW: What was the amperage on the rails and the wattage of your PSU?
September 1, 2006 4:05:05 PM

Yes what are your PSU ratings. 6800 likes 18A minimum pumped through the 12V rails. But it sounds like you didn't change anything and your video card just upped and died.

That is why I never attach myself to a video card. Sure they're sexy and you fall for them quick but they just end up breaking your heart in the long run 8O
September 1, 2006 4:07:21 PM

Quote:
Yes what are your PSU ratings. 6800 likes 18A minimum pumped through the 12V rails. But it sounds like you didn't change anything and your video card just upped and died.

That is why I never attach myself to a video card. Sure they're sexy and you fall for them quick but they just end up breaking your heart in the long run 8O

Yea, very true. You could probably get by with 16A on the 12V rail, but thats pushing it. Also if its a crappy no-name brand, that also gives evidence of it being the culprit.
September 1, 2006 4:08:33 PM

Amps on the rails? Not sure... As far as the psu, it's a 430 (a little low I know, but it was working fine before.)

I appreciate your guys input, I have been in denial about it's deadness and have been trying to get other opinions before I cry myself to sleep tonight. And diablo, i wish I couldn't get attached, but it provided me so much killing time in css and bf2 :cry: 

Also, I've narrowed my search down to the ATI RADEON X1800 XT 512MB/X1800 XL.
September 1, 2006 4:11:10 PM

I bet 50% of the "RMA ISSUES" on newegg reviews (with video cards) is psu problems.

PSU is the most overlooked piece of shit in a computer.
September 1, 2006 4:12:28 PM

Why not see if it's under warranty and get it fixed/replaced for free? If not, that ATI card will work (gasp ATI).
September 1, 2006 4:12:36 PM

Quote:
Amps on the rails? Not sure... As far as the psu, it's a 430 (a little low I know, but it was working fine before.)

I appreciate your guys input, I have been in denial about it's deadness and have been trying to get other opinions before I cry myself to sleep tonight. And diablo, i wish I couldn't get attached, but it provided me so much killing time in css and bf2 :cry: 

Also, I've narrowed my search down to the ATI RADEON X1800 XT 512MB/X1800 XL.

The last possible thing i could think of, is taking the card out, and testing it in another computer, and see the results of that. Otherwise, sorry man.
September 1, 2006 4:13:23 PM

I definetley recognize the PSU might be an issue, but again, I have to believe it is not since, again, it was worknig fine before. With the new card though, I will for sure be upgrading to a 700 watt or so.

I sadly can't RMA it through Newegg since I don't have the box and other stuffs with me, but hopefully leadtek will be able to at least give me the run around for a while and give me a new card back :lol: 
September 1, 2006 4:13:56 PM

Quote:
Why not see if it's under warranty and get it fixed/replaced for free? If not, that ATI card will work (gasp ATI).

Yea you'll defintely see a improvement with the x1800xt. May want to replace the PSU down the road though. What brand is it? X1800xt's are power hungry. Anything from Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, Forton Source, OCZ are all good brands.
September 1, 2006 4:21:08 PM

The PSU is a thermaltake.
September 1, 2006 4:37:11 PM

Cool, thanks for the help enforcer. I sadly can't test it on another machine because I don't have another with a pci-e slot. But I will definetley look into that psu.
September 1, 2006 4:38:06 PM

well thats a shame, try to turn off you pc, them all the necesary. Pull up your card and memory and put it again. Now try!
September 1, 2006 4:44:22 PM

Quote:
well thats a shame, try to turn off you pc, them all the necesary. Pull up your card and memory and put it again. Now try!

I dont think reseating the card will resolve the artifacting issue, but what the hell, try it.
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2006 5:19:38 PM

also while you are inside your computer check to see if everything
is clean

look closely at the heatsink on your cpu and gpu
clean any dust out.
September 1, 2006 6:16:21 PM

I don't know what it is about this card but they seem to be troublesome. I have one and had to RAM it because the GPU fan was making one hell of a racket. When at the computer shop next to my home for something else the thechnicien was RAM'ing another for some performence problem. Anyways, what I did is when mine was RAM'ed I bought a MSI 7600 GT and I am happy with it so far. I will keep that one and use my 6800 for something else.
September 7, 2006 12:11:05 AM

Quick thought regarding this issue still... I haven't returned the old card yet as I am waiting to get a new one, and I noticed today that NVIDIA released a new driver. So I downloaded it, and uninstalled my old drivers. 91.31 and got ready to install the 91.47 drivers. after the reboot though, i decided to try something, I decided to try and view a streaming video on CNN (this has been one of my many problems) and while I had no drivers installed, it worked fine and loaded and played without any problems.

I didn't dare try a game because of the higher graphics requirements, however, it got me to thinking, could my drivers be causing this problem? Seeing as I installed the 91.47 and the artifacting came back, and is worse to boot.

Thoughts? Is it possible to find older drivers out there to test out and see if ones from maybe around May (when I know everything was worknig great) and see if I continue to get the problem.
September 7, 2006 1:07:37 AM

Quote:
Quick thought regarding this issue still... I haven't returned the old card yet as I am waiting to get a new one, and I noticed today that NVIDIA released a new driver. So I downloaded it, and uninstalled my old drivers. 91.31 and got ready to install the 91.47 drivers. after the reboot though, i decided to try something, I decided to try and view a streaming video on CNN (this has been one of my many problems) and while I had no drivers installed, it worked fine and loaded and played without any problems.

I didn't dare try a game because of the higher graphics requirements, however, it got me to thinking, could my drivers be causing this problem? Seeing as I installed the 91.47 and the artifacting came back, and is worse to boot.

Thoughts? Is it possible to find older drivers out there to test out and see if ones from maybe around May (when I know everything was worknig great) and see if I continue to get the problem.

For me, its hard to say. Usually artifacting is a sign of a temperature effect on the card, not its driver. But i could always be wrong. See how it goes from there. If the driver still produced the artifacts, RMA the card. If it doesnt, well you got lucky.
September 8, 2006 7:57:28 PM

Wanted to give you all an update, and perhaps make ya scratch your head a little bit. Last night I decided to go ahead and install windows vista RC1 since I had just gotten it, and was very anxious to mess around with it, I was at first concerned that I wouldn't get to experience aero because of hte vid card problems, but i went ahead anyways.

In the end, after all was said and done, installing a new OS has somehow FIXED my video card artifacting problem, AND allowed me to play my video games again. I am completely stumped as to how this would happen, I talked with some people who said my registry might not have been getting cleaned out completeley after each time i reinstalled the drivers and such, but either way, it works!

I am amazed. Anyway, thanks to enforcer and elpollodiablo and the others for your help, it worked in the end, which is great for me!
September 9, 2006 4:04:42 PM

Quote:
Wanted to give you all an update, and perhaps make ya scratch your head a little bit. Last night I decided to go ahead and install windows vista RC1 since I had just gotten it, and was very anxious to mess around with it, I was at first concerned that I wouldn't get to experience aero because of hte vid card problems, but i went ahead anyways.

In the end, after all was said and done, installing a new OS has somehow FIXED my video card artifacting problem, AND allowed me to play my video games again. I am completely stumped as to how this would happen, I talked with some people who said my registry might not have been getting cleaned out completeley after each time i reinstalled the drivers and such, but either way, it works!

I am amazed. Anyway, thanks to enforcer and elpollodiablo and the others for your help, it worked in the end, which is great for me!

A beta driver cured your card!? God damn! Well good luck man, at least you wont loose a card now.
!