Sign in with
Your question

Help -Confused point in right direction

Last response: in Components
September 1, 2006 3:47:42 PM

Hi Everyone:
Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have a Compaq Presario that a customer said they on their own added a new power supply and shortly after could turn computer on and use normal desktop apps but everytime tried to access internet got searching for mac address error. Stating error was no mac address available. She then contacted Verizon and was told it was on her side and not them.(Of Course they wouldnt help her!) So anyway I became involved and discovered according to Compaq the board is only rated for 250w and this new power supply was a 350w. So I uninstall the driver for on board Nic and reinstall and got same error. I then try it again and get nothing. I check PS and it is working but now MB fan is on but I get no post and of course nothing on monitor display. What could this be? I think the board is still working but cant understand why it isnt finishing POST. Could the 350w damaged the on board NIC and possibly ram. How should I check? Am I wrong and its not posting at all because I hear no beeps? Any help on what I should do next would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
September 1, 2006 4:26:45 PM

This is a 2004 Wal-mart bundle. Model Presario s6020wm it has a MSI Motherboard MS 6577 mAtx Procesor is a celeron 2.6ghz it has 1 bank 256 ddr pc 2700 ram. Again on board ethernet which started saying searching for mac address now nothing but fan runs on MB?
September 1, 2006 4:36:33 PM

Yeah it is comcrap I mean compaq but if it was a proprietary issue how was she able to still use it with normal apps on desktop. I seen this when I first arrived at housecall. If the wiring was different to keep proprietary wouldnt the computer have never booted to windows in the first place? See only after I got on scene did it start not even booting to the desktop. I thought originally I had a simple failed NIC or Network Settings problem. Instead now computer is not displaying anything and while you can hear fans I cant seem to explain no POST! It has been quite a puzzle for a newbie tech like me. Is this two issues or one? Perhaps the POST is one problem. The Network is another. I know Verizon DSL requires alot of memory and she only had 256 DDR. Now I am just trying to get this thing to POST again. Customer said she had downloaded the latest Lime Wire when she started having the searching Mac error. i also kno Limewire when resident takes alot of memory so I think perhaps this is two issues.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 5:04:01 PM

This sounds more like a toasted motherboard. What shape are the capacitors in? Any leakage or bulging? Highly doubtful it's a RAM issue but you could pull the RAM and test it with memtest in another system. 256MB is insanely low (fcuking OEMs) but these are not low RAM issues.

I would try to get it to work with the original PSU first, or at least look at the original PSU to make sure the wire harnesses match up. Maybe even check the voltages with a voltmeter. Why did the customer change the PSU in the first place? Was there some sort of failure, or power surge? That could be your answerright there if there was. PC electronics do not take kindly to large amounts of electricity all at once, regardless of whether or not it was on a surge protector.

mpilchfamily is right, OEMs can be fiercly proprietory with the equipment and it's not wise to start swapping out components without doing your research.
September 1, 2006 6:53:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your time and responses. As to the amber light/green light on monitor it is staying amber. I am convinced there is something strange because it is almost like it starts to run and then just fans...Comcrap I mean Compaq Hell! Thanks again! Bill
September 1, 2006 7:16:50 PM

One more thing, what brand of PSU did they install. It could just be some no name brand which could be the cause of the no POST issue.

qwertycopter could be right. You could be dealing with 2 separate issues here. One hardware, the other malware related.
September 1, 2006 7:32:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your time and responses. As to the amber light/green light on monitor it is staying amber. I am convinced there is something strange because it is almost like it starts to run and then just fans...Comcrap I mean Compaq Hell! Thanks again! Bill

Anoobis has you covered here, but just to chime in, check all the cables and peripherals (especially PCI cards) to make sure everything is connected nice and snug. Most often if the computer refuses to POST when trying to address another problem, you likely knocked something out of place. I personally like to take the RAM out and put them back in, just ot be sure.

If everything is in there snug, start yanking things out one at a time until you finally get a POST. Then start hooking things back in 1 by 1 until it breaks again (identifying the troublesome component).

Once you get POST back up and running, clear the BIOS using the jumper. PSU problems can corrupt the BIOS, and can cause on-board peripherals to malfunction (such as the NIC). If it still doesn't work, just get a new PCI NIC. THey're like $10 (or less if you know someone).
!